• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Pinning the Bags / Another Way

fordmender

Training Wheels
Maybe I should have titled this thread "Same old destination...Just a different route of getting there!

After becoming a new C14 owner (and COG member) and reading here on the forums about some of the saddlebags going into "Self-Eject Mode",  I thought thats something that I should probably do. Simple project with a lot of Peace of Mind! I know the subject has been visited here before but being a new member I thought I might be able to contribute a little and share the way I did mine with you.

Most of the material I used was stuff I had setting around the garage. They are all easily obtainable at most automotive stores.

I began with cutting a couple of sections of 3/16" coated steel brake line for both sides (some scrap pieces I had setting around). Then I riveted two flat head black rivets that fit perfectly in the end of each each section. I completed the fabrication by drilling the end and fitting some small pin retainers along with two stainless 3/16" flat washers. The project cost me 21 cents...I had to buy the pins retainers!!  In the end, I thought it came out fairly well and very inconspicuous. The pictures were taken before final cleanup on the bags.

Attachments

• Pins.JPG
    Pins.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 263
  • frontview.JPG
    frontview.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 244
  • backview.JPG
    backview.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 224
  • topview.JPG
    topview.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
Nice job!  but why did you go through all that hassle when simply getting a flat head bolt, cutting it to size and drilling a hole would have been easier (and stronger then brake line)

Just curious

Mad River Marc said:
Nice job!  but why did you go through all that hassle when simply getting a flat head bolt, cutting it to size and drilling a hole would have been easier (and stronger then brake line)

Just curious

Yeah, I thought of that too, but them me thinks...I can do a little better than just a bolt. I was kinda going after something that would not easily be noticed. This way, the head of the rivet is much thinner & thus doesn't protrude as much. As far as strength...I think the plastic will break on the bags before the shear strength of the steel line is reached. And besides, it was just a simple little fun project that really didn't take all that much time!

Simple answer....Glutton for punishment !!  :-[

I would think that the brake line would fold under the stress from a bag if it were to suddenly decide to become an ejection bag.......  Just my thought

Holy Magnifying Glass Batman.......I can see I need to to decrease the size of my pictures next time. Either that or get a 42" computer monitor.  :))

Looked good. As far as them holding up, should not be a problem. there is not a lot of stress on the pins, just stabilize the bags so thy can't bounce up as jump off the mounts.

Fordmender I pined mine so that they would still be easy to remove, Pull pin and pull the bags right off. With bolts the job would not be as quick and easy.  ;)

kawcon14rider said:
Looked good. As far as them holding up, should not be a problem. there is not a lot of stress on the pins, just stabilize the bags so thy can't bounce up as jump off the mounts.

Fordmender I pined mine so that they would still be easy to remove, Pull pin and pull the bags right off. With bolts the job would not be as quick and easy.  ;)

Yep. I'm very comfortable with what they are intended to do.
After looking at the clearance's on the latch, I also did Fred's shim job with the felt pads to limit upward movement on the bags......Another simply, inexpensive thing to do that definitely looked worth doing.

I used one that looks like this, in 1/4" size.  Push it in and the ball on the end keeps it in place and just a little force to remove it.  Easypeasy

ddc15f07-2a2c-4e13-a942-9c3c0e5d8414_9.JPG

joe in calif said:

Your probably would have gotten them cheaper had you looked in the C14 farkle vendor directory! Zteve was selling them cheaper to Concours guys on the site when you go direct to him.

Saddle Bag Retention

McMaster-Carr pins (Must be drilled) - http://www.mcmaster.com/#98320a020/=d91xhw
Zteve's retaining clips - E-mail for info or to order:  h59913@frontiernet.net

orangewingnut said:
For the McMaster-Carr pins, what is the diameter of the hole that needs to be drilled to install these?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, Drill your holes the same diameter as the pins. I used the 3/16 pins 2" usable length. Some prefer the 1/4.

Jay