• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Pirelli Angel Data and Feedback

tarheelbob

Training Wheels
OK, a body of mileage data from multiple sets of Pirelli Angel ST's. I am shoeing on a fourth rear and third front this week and felt my experience could be helpful for those looking for tire information. First of all, I LOVE these tires. Great ride, terrific grip for the twisties, and very confident in the wet, and they are priced right. Each set of tires were used for daily commuting and nice mix of superslab and aggressive riding in the Blue Ridge. Here's my data, all in stock sizes:

Rear #1: 7238 miles (no top box until late in life, religious on keeping tire pressure 42+ psi)
Rear #2: 5695 miles (top box all the time, was not as watchful of psi. A little more highway.)
Rear #3: 6513 miles (top box, kept a close eye on 42+ psi)

Front #1: 11,276 (worn out, squared off)
Front #2: 8170 miles (some cupping, feeling "heavy"in low speed turns, still has life left, replacing anyway)

Oh, and Jake Wilson has them on sale, $102.99 Front, $140.99 Rear. Couldn't pass up a new set for $244 with free shipping! Will go with a 190/55 on the next rear.

Cap'n Bob said:
If you don't mind me asking. What did you get out of the 021's? Great info though. Thanks!  :)

Changed them out at 4026 miles. The treacherous piles of dung were toast by 1700 miles, but I kept thinking it was me sorting out the new bike suspension settings, air pressure, etc. I finally quit deluding myself and changed out the piles of crap. Of course, that is just my .02 worth...

Thanks Bob. Your numbers on both tires are very similar to mine. My Angel ST/Diablo Strada's all were pretty much in the same ballpark as your numbers with slightly different data (like flies in/out, more aggressive, more highway, etc.). But I'm in the same ball park. And my experience on the 021's were also dead on exact. So I think these numbers are a pretty good base line on what folks could reasonably expect out of the Pirelli's. Well that is unless they're one of those folks who got 9K out of the 021?  :eek:  I guess they could expect to see better mileage.  :mad:  :))
  But one thing is for sure. I agree with you on the tires. IMO, the Pirelli's are best tire that I've tried as far as handling/grip and confidence inspiring. But I will say that I also do like the PR3 (not the PR2  :(  ). The PR3 is not as confidence inspiring in terms of grip. But they are very respectable, and IMO, are actually better in the wet than the Angel. They also may wear a little better because of it. So I have two tires I like a lot. Although I think the Angel ST is the better performance tire in the (mostly) dry.
  I guess the question is what is the more crucial thing for a prospective buyer. Better dry performance, or better wet performance that might wear a little better. The folks in the Pacific North west may prefer PR3's because of the amount of rain they may ride in. But unless your a "how many miles can I squeak out of the tire" kind of guy, or "a lot of rain" type of rider. I think the Angel St has the slight advantage, because of the grip and confidence fun factor!  :)

I can't figure out why they mark the 190/55 $30 higher than the 190/50.  The performance that comes with the taller profile is worth the extra money...... I guess they must run much smaller batches for that size.

Cap'n Bob said:
...I think the Angel St has the slight advantage, because of the grip and confidence fun factor!  :)

... and a corking good price advantage doesn't hurt, either.

Nice summary. I concur (Concours?). :beerchug:

Jeremy - I think you hit the nail on the head. Its gotta be the smaller batch sizes. The 190/55 is more of a niche size for those interested in its handling manners and turn-in advantages. Seems to be gaining favor in the market lately, so prices may come down. Just don't tel SteveWFL, his head will swell with a bad case of the "I told ya' so's". :motonoises:

I told Steve a couple days after I put my first 190/55 on that he was right.  I love it so much that I have even converted a couple local ZX-14 owners.

I love a good tire thread:) And will take advantage of this one to sing my praises for the Angels. I had them mounted after returning from Arkansas in October and took it easy for the first 100 miles, and then commuted on them for another couple of hundred. This past weekend was able to get out an ride some mild twisties, and they are a HUGE improvement over the stockers. My only regret - I should have gone to the 55, but went with the stock size 50s. Next time.

I can't compare to any brand other than the Bridgestones, but this is a nice tire for the Concours, and unless they wear horribly, or something changes my attitude, this will remain my tire of choice.

Dalroo - They are an excellent all-around choice for the C-14, with a little more of a nod to performance versus ultimate mileage. I love them.

Bob,

Thank you for this note.  I use Angels too, very happy so far--it is my first set. 

What is the pressure that you use (cold)?  and how much does it change when they are warm?  I just went for a ride yesterday and used front 37 psi, back 43 psi which went up to 41 and 49 psi according to the motorcycle's sensors.

Cheers and thanks,

Carlos

Probably not the Bob you were referring to. But I personally used 42 front and rear cold pressure on the Angels. IMO, the tires were awesome in almost every circumstance. A great tire. And still my favorite tires of the tires I've recently used in the last few years.

CElias said:
What is the pressure that you use (cold)?  and how much does it change when they are warm?

Same as the "other" Bob said.  ;D
42 psi cold, front and rear. Goes up a few depending on duration and type of riding.

Thank you Bob. 

I sent an email to US Pirelli and they responded.  FYI I copy their response, which agrees, with your recommendation.

Please note one should always inflate tires to the correct tire pressure as indicated in the owner’s manual. However Pirelli has found the air pressure suggestions listed below or in our brochure will improve mileage and customer satisfaction. Check cold inflation pressure frequently. Correct tire pressure is crucial for safe handling. Over inflation may impair ride comfort and reduce the contact patch between the tire and the driving surface of the tires. Insufficient air pressure will result in poor handling and cause a tendency for the motorcycle to "wander". In addition, improper and insufficient tire pressure will cause accelerated tire wear, increased fuel consumption, less control and the possibilities for tire failure due to an overloaded/under inflated operating situation.

RECOMMENDED MOTORCYCLE TIRE PRESSURES BASED ON LOAD
Front Sport or Sport Touring tires              Solo            2 up            Riding 2 w/load
                                                      32-34          34-36                  36-42

Rear Sport or Sport Touring tires              Solo            2 up            Riding 2 w/load
                                                      36-38          38-40                40-42

Our west coast Concours 14 test rider reports that with 40 front and 42 rear psi the Angels were worn down to the wear bars at a little over 9600 miles. So this is the reason we always suggest that running higher pressures (up to the max as stated on the sidewall) will increase the life of the tire with no adverse effects. Thanks for the question and have a great day.

I'm sorry, but that letter from Pirelli doesn't make much sense. Why would you ever run the lower pressure if the higher pressure gives longer life with no adverse effects!!?? Maybe their test rider doesn't consider a change in handling due to tire pressures an "effect".  :-[

Instead of starting a new topic, thought I would just add an update on this thread.

I rode to Tyler, Texas and back this week and passed 3,000 miles on the Angels. They still look NEW! No cupping, and still handle great. 42 front and rear.

At this point on the stockers the front and rear were both cupping significantly. I only got 5,500 miles on them total and had to replace as the front was almost bald on one side, and the rear was squared.

As stated above, my only regret is not going with the 55. Next time.

Angel ST on my VFR front...love it!  And even better, like you say, an excellent price.  Great info in this thread; thanks for posting it.

They disappointed me this weekend... The rear was stepping out a little when I was riding in lthe area of Lolo Pass... Apparently they don't do curvy wet roads (it was raining real good) getting sloshed with fresh diesel...  :-\ Once I got past the moron (that forgot to put his fuel cap back on) Things were fine. I'm pleased with their ability on wet roads... Even with so diesel thrown in for good measure.

But I may want to try a Federal brand car tiree next time...  :nananana:

Ray,Good times this trip..Thanks for your contributions to the party.Alot of fun on saturday with all the rain but this buncooler still one of the most memorable in a while with the 14s outnumbering the 10s for sure.  pm to follow

I must be the only person who dislikes the Angel STs. The set I had on my bike slide around all over the place and didn't hold up worth a hoot.  I only got 4,000 miles out of the rear before it was shot.  I know I ride aggressively, but I expect a high end tire to last longer than 4,000 miles.  If I had the money I would have replaced them at 1,000 miles because the front started to cup after only 500 miles and the rear was squared off by 1,000 miles.  Maybe I am an anomaly, but I will never put a set of STs on my bike again.