• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Planes,boats and SCUBA

IronButtAl

Seems that these three things are common to a lot of COG riders. With that in mind, a rally of a different sort has been festering in my mind for some time. I'd like to put together a ride/dive social rally that involves these interests, with a three day format for all who might have to travel. It would be a very economical package (ah, I have your interest now) that has us at Kings Bay, Crystal River for a morning of snorkeling with the manatees and a dive in the Rainbow River in the afternoon. We would ride our bikes from location to location, and all equipment moves with us by the company. A date of sometime in November....working around Thanksgiving, or early December, to be determined by consensus of respondents to this idea. I've done the Rainbow River...this is not a hair ball dive. A one tank dive from the start of a first magnitude spring is the easiest and most clear dive I've ever done. No work here folks, and water is 72 degrees all year round and flow rate make it an effortless dive to boot.Of course, we should consider having our usual catered BBQ at the end of the day, which would be Saturday. House sleeps eight or nine and a good camping yard in available with a bathroom handy to that side. Lots of details have been worked out, such as costs and times. We have some Dive Masters in the group, Ed & Jim please feel free to chime in on this. I see 15 - 20 doing this, from my talking it up over the last couple of years. Send me a signal...show me a sign.

Veddy interesting! We're on a bicycle ride to KW the 1st wkend in Dec so then would be out for us. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

I'm in pending schedule and unforeseen circumstances. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - it Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr120

Can anyone participate on this or just people with diving experience? I have done some diving but it has been about 35 yrs ago and I know for sure that the equipment is diferent today.

Jeez Jose, you're right in Citrus county.....why would you want to miss it? The only problem for you would be if you didn't have a c card for your gear rental. But certainly that wouldn't prevent you from doing the snorkel part of the trip and taking the boat ride with us. You could always buddy breath with me for a trip down to the bottom of Rainbow River. Maybe 35 feet at the deepest, bright and gin clear with moderate temps any time of year. That would be a good experience for you....living so close to it and all. I'd encourage anybody that loves water to get in on this. Only a sense of adventure is really necessary. Likely a Master will be with us to catch up with essentials. Again....this is an ultra safe dive. I've not had much bottom time since I've discovered girls & motorcycles either. Well, maybe since then. This is an exploratory post for now.

OK Al: Is this one where you have to be certified? I used to scuba back in the 60's and 70's, long before you were required to have a piece of paper. As a matter of fact, I think I still have my fins. Some AH stole the tank, regulator, and wet suit in the mid-70's. Even with serial numbers they were never seen again. tcars, John, COG 4157, AMA & ROK N Ga AAD

Buddy, you would need a certification (c) card to rent tanks for a dive. Reputable dive centers will always ask for that. As I explained to Jose, if you snorkel, the morning would be when you can have fun with the group. Then you can have a boat ride for the afternoon dive on Rainbow River. Believe that all would work out to about $33.00 for a day in and on the water. Thanks for the opportunity to bump this back to the top. Need to get an idea of interest before I go too far with plans

I am interested in this, not sure how I would strap my tank on the Connie. As a PADI AI, I have all my own equipment and prefer running the DIN mount for my first stage. Please let me know more details. Thanks,

Robert, in the interest of economy(yeah, I dig it), I could lend you my steel tank, if that made the difference of coming or not. As the group leader, I'm going to get a free ride on the event, so that's ok with me. The cost breakdown is; $33.00 for the day of boat rides at both locations, plus shuttle of anything you want brought to the next location. Since I envisioned this as a ride/dive event, guess the travel kit would have to be small. For divers only.....the SCUBA package for the day is $49.00 for a one (1) tank dive As stated, the Rainbow River has a good flow rate out of the head spring, so one just has to gain the bottom and float down the 4 miles or so to the take out. I haven't used up a tank in the trip yet. But it's been a long time and I'm older and fatter than before. www.therainbowriver will get you to the dive portion. www.birdsunderwater with get you to the tour service we'll use. Hope you can work out the details. Crystal River has plenty of sites, if you're not familiar with the location/area. I had my sailboat berthed in Kings Bay for 15 years, but it's been hauled since I started riding my motorcycle more after retirement. Hope that helps. Call me for more chat of this

Al, I had my PADI check-out dive in Crystal River at the main spring in 1970, using a double-hose USDivers single stage unit. Times have changed. Are you thinking of using the tank on the Rainbow also? I have tubed and swam down it many times when I lived in Yankeetown and recall it as being fairly shallow and wouldn't need a tank. It seems like mask, snorkel and fins are all that would be needed except for the main spring at CR. I used to swim down into the spring with just a good weight belt but that was a few years back. I'm getting inspired for a spring trip with camping at Ichetucknee Springs... I'll start working on that one! David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - it Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr120

Al, I'm interested, but no SCUBA certification. Would still like to tag along and watch the manatee, uh, I mean the divers. (running and ducking for cover) Go with a Field of Dreams inspiration, build it and they will show up. Is there a minimal commitment requirement or price break out based on the group size? I think you have the base for a great event here.

David, Ichetucknee Springs? We used to drive down to there from GA a couple of times a year moons ago. That's a cool place, thought of a COG event for that but no camping at the springs (unless that has changed) so the logistics of getting tubes was something I never pursued. Might be something to consider though now we are closer. There are a few campgrounds in the area. (Sorry, not trying to hi-jack the thread, please carry on with Crystal River/Rainbow River planning, let's do it!!!) :)

Yeah, it will be a first for this type of event. Just about near the minimum number needed. Still see around 20. I'll need everybody to send in half the money to lock in trip/date

Still see around 20. I'll need everybody to send in half the money to lock in trip/date Is there a date posted yet for this event? David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - it Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr120

Hey Albert. Depending on the time for this I could be in. At least for the snorkeling, riding and cigar part! Shoot Jim a message in case he hasn't seen this. Eddie BTW, welcome back! Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

I'm in (well, pending scheduling, huny-do's, etc.). Rainbow River could be done as a snorkel for those who are SCUBA certified. Manatee encounters will be greater for those on snorkel as the critters don't care for the noise a diver makes. Sounds like fun.

Hey you two, good to hear from you. Guess what Jim meant was that the Rainbow could be done with snorkel if one wasn't SCUBA certified. Well, yeah...that's an option for everyone. But the bottom makes it attractive enough to do a dive if you can/want to. That's a lot of float time for two (2) locations @ $33.00. The logic for the tour guide is the early morning start on Kings Bay in Crystal River would give the water clarity and less boat traffic the best chance for an encounter with manatees. Mid day sun on the deeper Rainbow would also make that dive better. The date that seems to be looking good for some (Paulie, Jo) would be December 12th. That gives us some room with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Larry's ride at the end of the month. What does anyone think about that date. Anyone... See ya'll at WRRR

Al, The 12th looks good for me, but I know that I'll have to repel at least 3 other things trying to land on that spot in the next 4 months. It should stick unless there's a family emergency or an opportunity to make a lot of money on that day. Are you thinking of having us arrive at your place on Friday/Friday evening and then the diving on Saturday and travel on Sunday? I have a few spare bunks here in Jacksonville for those traveling south down the east coast. I'm about 125 miles from Al's place and 2 miles off of 95 just south of the 295/9A loop. Sounds like a plan is coming together! David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - it Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr120

12/12...nice n EZ to remember. JIC there aren't any manatees around, methinks a few of the (ahem) larger fellas could masquerade quite well. ;) 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

Dave, that's a lot of if's. You should really plan on being here Friday sometime, even if it's in the evening. We're going to be on the water at 6:30am to give us all the best opportunity to see the manatees We'll leave Crystal River and hit a nice lunch stop in Dunnellon around noon time for a lite lunch or take advantage of the drinks & snacks aboard the boat, before we hit the dive on Rainbow River. Whatever everyone wants to do. I'm better in the water with something very lite to eat. We'll do a BBQ on Saturday night, and you can leave out anytime Sunday. The usual tradition is to ride to breakfast on Sunday morning in Floral City......11 miles south of me, and everyone takes off from there. There is no check in/out time at casa norcross, and early arrivals and/or late departures are encouraged. You know the rest of the drill; cocktails, fire, and cigars. All the stuff that Paulie hates about us. Did you catch my post on Ian? Since it's obvious that not everybody is reading all of the previous posts, give me a call with any questions. There are 12 that have expressed interests in this event. I'm going to hold out for 15 contacts for awhile. We have plenty of time. I will need a financial commitment at some point to lock in the date.

You're right, Al. I did mean that Rainbow River could be done as a snorkel for those who were NOT SCUBA certified. I've got the date blocked out from all but SWMBO (she has ultimate veto authority on all things, you know). FWIW: There will likely be more manatee in the spring by then anyway as they migrate out of the "cooler" ocean water. There are usually some pretty big tarpon in the spring too. If I'm reading the info right the cost is: $33.00 for (essentially) the boat rental/shuttle and $49.00 for SCUBA gear? What all's included in the gear package? I've got all of it (and then some) but was wondering about just needing a cylinder? I can haul the wetsuit, mask, fins, snorkel, weights, BCD, and regulator but would need to rent a cylinder (unless I bring the 'Wing & trailer, then I'll have everything plus).

You know the rest of the drill; cocktails, fire, and cigars. All the stuff that Paulie hates about us.
Nah, it's like dis... - on the wagon since 1/1/00 - cain't sit still anywheres - reformed PITA ex-smoker That's my story & I'm stickin to it! 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

Yeah man, I know all of that. I was a light hearted comment on my end ....didn't mean anything by it. Of course, you're to be commended for turning your life around by such a drastic life style change. See you at WRRR

December should work for me. Hopefully, My overseas trip should be well over with by then. At least snorkeling, if I have a problem, I'll be able to reach the surface :) At least it sounds like a plan! Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Jim, the $33.00 includes everything you mentioned plus snorkel gear for the day. Sounds like you might be better off just renting a tank instead of the package. I have all gear plus also, and an extra tank for you if Robert E doesn't take me up on an offer made a few days ago. Guess you'll be able to work that out when the time comes. I'll check on the tank only rental from Birds for you, as some others may want to do the same thing. Last I heard, we had almost 100 manatees that are full time residents. Up until last year, my weekends were spent on board my sailboat in Kings Bay. They were always coming up to blow next to the boat and rub on the anchor line. I've been up close and personal with them a few times. Never get tired of seeing/mingling with sea cows.

Al, Count me in for the snorkling. My certificate expired in 1976! Think they would renew it for me? How about if I offered to pay for the intervening years (like COG). Seriously, sounds like great fun. See ya at WRRR. Ken

FWIW, I don't think SCUBA certification ever "expire." I would however highly recommend that someone returning to diving after a long lay-off get some refresher training (a reputable shop would likely require it before renting any gear).

Jim is correct, PADI/NAUI certs never expire. The dive is a simple/safe one, and you could do it if you wanted due to the water depth/clarity/temp., but you would be happy with just doing the snorkel on both also.I'm also professional lifeguard cert. for 20 years as an in water rescuer for my triathlon racing. You'd have a good buddy in the water with you. Your call. Hate to give up the CCCC, which could be done in the Spring....maybe March. Would Marcia want to be included in the trip? We're up to 13 in the interest department.

SSI/PADI non-Pro certs never expire. Recommend the Peak Bouyancy course, it is a short thing that helps get you back in the swing of things. I have to renew my PADI AI every year or I lose it. (oh the joys of going Pro).

One of several reasons that I dropped PADI (I'm also a PADI AI) and went to SDI (I'm a SDI instructor now). I don't think you really "lose" the certification if you fail to renew annually, you just lose the "privlege" of conducting the classes. Mostly it's just another way for PADI to get into your wallet.

So what's the plan with this? Is it "GO?" If so, how do I reserve camping space (or floor space for that matter)? What kind of facilities do you have (or have access to) to rinse SCUBA gear?

Seems the vast majority of respondents to this idea are going to WRRR. Lets all get together there and hash out some of the details. That's in only 4 weeks......the dive/ride is 13 weeks.

OK Al, Let's say some ol fart did some scuba in the late 50's and early 60's, a time when a 'piece of paper' was not needed. If fact, they weren't even known then as far as I know. How hard would it be for this ol fart to get that 'piece of paper'? If it would mean taking the entire course, nah. If there is a short method, please let this ol fart know. :) tcars, John, COG 4157, AMA & ROK Central Jawja AAD

Unfortunately, there's no "abbreviated" curriculmn that I know of. I doubt you will find a SCUBA shop or instructor who would certify you without going through the entire process due to today's sue-happy environments. You can do a lot of the classroom through the computer now, as an experienced diver you should be able to breeze through the pool sessions and the checkout dive(s) but there's no shortcuts that I know of (or that I, as an instructor, would take due to liability concerns).

Jim: I found a nearby shop and just took a look at the paperwork I'd have to fill out just to start. Got few words for all that BS. I mean I would have to have a physical signed by a Dr. and the Dr. would have to check off more than a full page of stuff. You'd think I was trying to take out a life insurance policy for a million dollars or more. With all this BS I for sure will not let my teaching and counseling certification lapse, as I guess I'd have to start college all over again. There is one re-deeming item in this, I can get college credit for it and I may need a couple of hours to renew the prior stated certifications. Will check soon. What happened to the days where you bought the gear, filled the tank, and gave it a try. If everything one wants to do requires this much BS, no wonder we are in a recession, we are drowning in needless paperwork. tcars John

I sympathize with you about all the paperwork involved. You should see what the instructor has to do (i.e. the instructor has to maintain ALL your training records for at least 7 years). All this stuff comes for the shop/instructor having to CYA. Here's the scenario: Someone comes in to get dive certified. The person is morbidly obese, with un-diagnosed heart disease. He manages to get the certification and goes off to the Carribean where he undertakes a dive beyond his ability (current, deep, etc.). He freaks out, bolts to the surface and dies. Since his heirs will figure it wasn't his fault (after all, no one is responsible for their own actions anymore)they sue everyone involved (the instructor, the shop, the dive operation, the resort, etc.). Even though the defendant's will likely win, they are still out significant money. The paperwork and liability risk are big reasons that I've become an "inactive" instructor.