• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Planning trip, SD, Wyoming and Utah.

kzz1king

Winter has set in and I am almost done with all the maintainance on the bike. Planning for next year. I am hoping to do the states listed above. Haven't studied the maps for squiggly lines yet. Just got the Utah map. Leaving from NE North Dakota. Figured to travel to Black Hills first day.

After that I am not sure if I want to rise across WY or south and then west thru CO. I try to stick to rural, 2 lane country.

Open to ideas on routes and lodging ( camp or reasonable motels) . Limited to 6 to 7 days on the road. Like to do 50p to 650 per day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221119-154537.png
    Screenshot_20221119-154537.png
    583 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20221119-154603.png
    Screenshot_20221119-154603.png
    524.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20221122-104639.png
    Screenshot_20221122-104639.png
    388.9 KB · Views: 61
While sailing through Wyoming, expect very strong headwinds. I80 loaded with trucks. Carry extra water.

Utah is an incredibly diverse state - mountains, lakes, rivers, forests and deserts. US Highway 191 from Rock Springs WY down past Flaming Gorge is a fun road in spots. 191 North from Rock Springs is good two-lane access to the west entrance of Yellowstone National Park - which is best in the shoulder seasons....

And come south through spectacular Wind River Canyon from Thermopolis, Wyoming. You would have to meander to avoid the major slabs. You could visit a great Dino museum there and soak your bones in some hot springs. More museums in Cody and other sites. Casper has some attractions. You could practice swerve skills dodging prairie dogs on the 487 as you pass my house.

Utah is an incredibly diverse state - mountains, lakes, rivers, forests and deserts. US Highway 191 from Rock Springs WY down past Flaming Gorge is a fun road in spots. 191 North from Rock Springs is good two-lane access to the west entrance of Yellowstone National Park - which is best in the shoulder seasons....
Thinking of taking 14 west to 191. Looks like it might go through Jellystone. Hopefully not. Dont want pay

I'd do a search on the Internet for "motorcycle roads". There are several out there that have reviews for the best motorcycle roads by state and rank them as well.

I did a trip down to Utah last summer to go hiking with the Family in Zion and Bryce Canyon. In the end, I traveled through all five of Utah's National Parks. If I were doing your trip, I'd do interstate to get me down to Utah, then spend my limited time at those parks. The diversity of scenery is astounding.

I know you don't like Interstates, but if you use Google Maps' Street View, you may find in some cases that the only difference between the two lane road and the Interstate is there are fewer gas stations and rest stops on the two-lane backroads. In many place in the west where you'll be traveling, it is flat and straight. If your need is to get somewhere quickly, the interstate may be your best bet.

When I did my post-retirement ride, we left from Washington state and headed south on the fastest quickest roads to get to what we really wanted to see...Utah. I strongly advise you to determine what your priorities are and plan your ride accordingly. Last summer was my second trip through the state.

If you come in from the eastern side of the state, Arches National Park will probably be your entry point. You'll need a reservation to enter. It's worth some time there, but it isn't that large. Plan to spend an afternoon there.

From there, head to Canyonlands NP. Unless you have an off-road bike, you'll probably just look at it from the rim...and still be amazed. I think it is more impressive than the Grand Canyon. If you could get down to the bottom, you could easily spend a week there. It's huge.

Grand Staircase Escalante. Incredible. It is a "staircase" of geologic periods, each unique in their own way. It's an area the size of Delaware. I didn't appreciate it the first time through. But last summer when I rode through it, blew my mind away.

Capitol Reef is my favorite. I spent a day hiking through the park, exploring the rock formations and being totally in awe. It's not heavily traveled either. You'll find rock formations on one side of a rock wall that are angled at one angle...and on the opposite side of the narrow gorge, the rocks are totally different and angled differently too. How this all came to be, is just amazing.

Bryce Canyon is worth at least a day. If you're in good enough shape...hike to the bottom and do some exploring. You can see a lot from the rim...but hiking to the bottom is really cool. It'll cost you though...you will drop a lot of elevation and the only way out is to climb back up...but it is worth it.

Zion is great. Again, at least a day. I recommend staying outside the park in Springdale, Utah. You can leave your bike parked at a motel and take the free shuttle into the park. The best part of the park can only be traveled by shuttle...or by foot or bike. So your bike is worthless in the park.

If you count up the days, you'll find you will spend almost your entire trip here. Hence, the recommendation to skip backroads getting there and back. And yes, you can say you went to somewhere like Zion if you ride through the park and you're out in half an hour...but did you really visit the park? It's worth it to spend the time soaking it all in.

Chris

Last edited:
I did a trip down to Utah last summer to go hiking with the Family in Zion and Bryce Canyon. In the end, I traveled through all five of Utah's National Parks. If I were doing your trip, I'd do interstate to get me down to Utah, then spend my limited time at those parks. The diversity of scenery is astounding. ...

When I did my post-retirement ride, we left from Washington state and headed south on the fastest quickest roads to get to what we really wanted to see...Utah.

Chris
Lot of wisdom in Chris' suggestion from my point of view. (Like Chris, I also love vacationing in Utah).

Also, if you want to cover your bets, freeway it to Utah first, leaving your Wyoming wanderings for the return part of trip - in case you don't spend all your quality time in Utah.

Cecil

Here's a couple pics to get you salivating on your trip.

Zion National Park
AL9nZEW6kxBoRK8ENUJcwXnhCETI9EjR9RXZzEt9y3aCBACVRvbzID9MPHKL1woYY1Pt0ESZnkCUlb_26wJyPZ9CUWNc8Qm-WzlBfLXzCcOQG4sMAIy86L0yGRcVO-_l0j5fN3qS9H8YdXbfjpqI1_aj_ByMwQ=w1673-h941-no

On the trail to the East Observation Point
AL9nZEUnJmuE-Dz9ORZ4z_eQXbpRxK3F44-oGqaDvI_C6YmlxD2ErvKOcdT2sspbqNQUO-aefsouHtOD8BTxmC65p3FD_cdSJuSiNDvQLzISiJZx_8ZrrXllqUK01-1RYX2h2qSxADF4fb9nABuu-jA4Jni3ew=w1673-h941-no

East Observation Point
AL9nZEUeP_e6YkUHHHi5fw2Tab-_gHCgHRN75kHguvJ5B_mfVCU5Kw_XKqwfF2B_Dw9-3P8-zJEaYsnAcIfcMrpijtXw54JS-dvfe5Y-n4dAJOqsl5dmPl9o1NXYxDKSq8NFufaZ1eucxqIz8TEIqQkYPdiofw=w1673-h941-no

Bryce Canyon
AL9nZEVPhOzdz8HrIEjzhjzOyOtsjjKwp8VMOgO5ou8o-OLDtrzbKdoVpWKoj2rJTXpJJpzRZmn9VdjiQwDX5qNf_JKomEIy_2ZSx3hi_hLGdhpLLhYmJmOfPI7KmiCwAr8PPtt2co3Mn82gF5l--C-Cf-izGQ=w1673-h941-no

On the way down.
AL9nZEVMmKU0TZEQPm-_mLoS8yy5mdF0daAu1UBOmOE5RLTk5o_mzHT72SAOGTug9dSwL9Zf-hSfCVUBwPu2mz5VkdCl25o7wG_0da6_pdsyP16PF04jdQDnKgIIEy2QiR7hAAtTq9hS5NP9GoTBOYiRyy1cUw=w1673-h941-no

AL9nZEUWkvQTXyo0xusYOMc9diLI_Sz7m4nTvrEvu0VSF4VQxihUrwumI6mnMgDTbBF4lw_U-KJKJSkJrZwlvBRczr5j9KJzzpLtoncVnrsZ3skXdVRJJqryIDrSPvazy15Y-yh8JXu8_PHM3m3cGt-3n6lfow=w1673-h941-no

Grand Staircase - Escalante (I believe this is the portion called "The Hogback".
AL9nZEWdzs44qusjDUWoFaAbkF0yVqM-RUHPhjFAo4-EyFRoYCVr-9TxXnxpPQ7yfb6ink-yNwDf5SputOCrYgPnj9XUGXMEvBAxAsb-QzDJfsXlK8omdNCZrbZ8D4Rw2kO-rKs_XJM6vIr3tyoeJmR3iUPRgg=w1673-h941-no

On the way from Bryce Canyon to Arches. One of the most amazing pictures I never tire of.
AL9nZEWmyW3fM35Y2wERPwIoWG6VRDQuyMCQ205BszuCL5NJUpn-gW3eLK0OCpuyHJoanRMJkvyKpmUGpkT-kH805q_RUo3sfnCVhPQbmYyU6H_ox-xjNB6zCfits9P3omAxKgPFHUNSuqE-pQ_TVEf-W4isSg=w1673-h941-no

Arches
AL9nZEUGkc3wKoCuLlajUb_0BneO6-KgT-Smf7L6AENKB1x3pep5iNjGX-4U_BTmDDWLPIQ-lLz1rtwNFQ9L4aA11Hlq2IFhOvYuovPIVDaz2C7gdv-FIiYIGfo603pTLRXrO7GwFYejTgJheLRBTUNoHdMPWg=w1673-h941-no

AL9nZEW-r-KZd9vNRy3jm8nVpiY7qcOFnTU52hdpS7qBIYUO1Xwg11HRfoLu_P7uJJ93y7cbZUwKUIylwgn2UlZyhrbMVOqxwV01vNE5aYSAgVvLG5bd_4Hlc6kyVTZFIjJJWffsWMAaBXzE6HuNWUVQnYnptg=w1412-h942-no

AL9nZEVwiy_fLSWhX6QzWdkmcuFrFTzf2S5odW4jgqDljrErktO7QU2Kjfj9nc6dQakSfxhM28nB63u4AB0DB-kCjM8xK0NVfyl9Hq8O_FYFRaeqRYq0Pg_LwsSYjYhEnNdtHzikO8qomENODTPDdICJOxs8wA=w1412-h942-no

Looks Beautiful! My biggest problem with interstate is all those curves I would be missing. I usually ride 5 to 700 a day with lots if short stops for pics and of course fuel. I mostly just like ride and look.

Food for thought, its appreciated guys. I am glad I am planning early.

Here's a couple pics to get you salivating on your trip.

Zion National Park
AL9nZEW6kxBoRK8ENUJcwXnhCETI9EjR9RXZzEt9y3aCBACVRvbzID9MPHKL1woYY1Pt0ESZnkCUlb_26wJyPZ9CUWNc8Qm-WzlBfLXzCcOQG4sMAIy86L0yGRcVO-_l0j5fN3qS9H8YdXbfjpqI1_aj_ByMwQ=w1673-h941-no

On the trail to the East Observation Point
AL9nZEUnJmuE-Dz9ORZ4z_eQXbpRxK3F44-oGqaDvI_C6YmlxD2ErvKOcdT2sspbqNQUO-aefsouHtOD8BTxmC65p3FD_cdSJuSiNDvQLzISiJZx_8ZrrXllqUK01-1RYX2h2qSxADF4fb9nABuu-jA4Jni3ew=w1673-h941-no

East Observation Point
AL9nZEUeP_e6YkUHHHi5fw2Tab-_gHCgHRN75kHguvJ5B_mfVCU5Kw_XKqwfF2B_Dw9-3P8-zJEaYsnAcIfcMrpijtXw54JS-dvfe5Y-n4dAJOqsl5dmPl9o1NXYxDKSq8NFufaZ1eucxqIz8TEIqQkYPdiofw=w1673-h941-no

Bryce Canyon
AL9nZEVPhOzdz8HrIEjzhjzOyOtsjjKwp8VMOgO5ou8o-OLDtrzbKdoVpWKoj2rJTXpJJpzRZmn9VdjiQwDX5qNf_JKomEIy_2ZSx3hi_hLGdhpLLhYmJmOfPI7KmiCwAr8PPtt2co3Mn82gF5l--C-Cf-izGQ=w1673-h941-no

On the way down.
AL9nZEVMmKU0TZEQPm-_mLoS8yy5mdF0daAu1UBOmOE5RLTk5o_mzHT72SAOGTug9dSwL9Zf-hSfCVUBwPu2mz5VkdCl25o7wG_0da6_pdsyP16PF04jdQDnKgIIEy2QiR7hAAtTq9hS5NP9GoTBOYiRyy1cUw=w1673-h941-no

AL9nZEUWkvQTXyo0xusYOMc9diLI_Sz7m4nTvrEvu0VSF4VQxihUrwumI6mnMgDTbBF4lw_U-KJKJSkJrZwlvBRczr5j9KJzzpLtoncVnrsZ3skXdVRJJqryIDrSPvazy15Y-yh8JXu8_PHM3m3cGt-3n6lfow=w1673-h941-no

Grand Staircase - Escalante (I believe this is the portion called "The Hogback".
AL9nZEWdzs44qusjDUWoFaAbkF0yVqM-RUHPhjFAo4-EyFRoYCVr-9TxXnxpPQ7yfb6ink-yNwDf5SputOCrYgPnj9XUGXMEvBAxAsb-QzDJfsXlK8omdNCZrbZ8D4Rw2kO-rKs_XJM6vIr3tyoeJmR3iUPRgg=w1673-h941-no

On the way from Bryce Canyon to Arches. One of the most amazing pictures I never tire of.
AL9nZEWmyW3fM35Y2wERPwIoWG6VRDQuyMCQ205BszuCL5NJUpn-gW3eLK0OCpuyHJoanRMJkvyKpmUGpkT-kH805q_RUo3sfnCVhPQbmYyU6H_ox-xjNB6zCfits9P3omAxKgPFHUNSuqE-pQ_TVEf-W4isSg=w1673-h941-no

Arches
AL9nZEUGkc3wKoCuLlajUb_0BneO6-KgT-Smf7L6AENKB1x3pep5iNjGX-4U_BTmDDWLPIQ-lLz1rtwNFQ9L4aA11Hlq2IFhOvYuovPIVDaz2C7gdv-FIiYIGfo603pTLRXrO7GwFYejTgJheLRBTUNoHdMPWg=w1673-h941-no

AL9nZEW-r-KZd9vNRy3jm8nVpiY7qcOFnTU52hdpS7qBIYUO1Xwg11HRfoLu_P7uJJ93y7cbZUwKUIylwgn2UlZyhrbMVOqxwV01vNE5aYSAgVvLG5bd_4Hlc6kyVTZFIjJJWffsWMAaBXzE6HuNWUVQnYnptg=w1412-h942-no

AL9nZEVwiy_fLSWhX6QzWdkmcuFrFTzf2S5odW4jgqDljrErktO7QU2Kjfj9nc6dQakSfxhM28nB63u4AB0DB-kCjM8xK0NVfyl9Hq8O_FYFRaeqRYq0Pg_LwsSYjYhEnNdtHzikO8qomENODTPDdICJOxs8wA=w1412-h942-no

Yeah, well. I can beat that...

Just 40 miles or so from my house is Hell's Half Acre

HellsHalfAcre.JPG

Document

The location where Starship Troopers was filmed. You can actually go to Hell and back.

Njk4NTY.gif

aWY.gif

MC9naXBoeTUuZ2lm.gif

It's a shame that visiting our National Parks now requires a reservation. I worked in Utah one winter and for our 8th anniversary we enjoyed Moab in November. We had the Canyonlands to ourselves; drove for miles on the White Rim Road with a two-wheel drive pickup and never saw another human. Arches National Park was slightly busier but still deserted by modern standards. Even some of Utah's State Parks are worthy of National Park status - Dead Horse Point State Park and Kodachrome Basin State Park come to mind , but there are others that if the park was in another state might have been stand alone National Parks.
The OP wants to ride, so my suggestion would be to visit during the school year to cut down on traffic.

It's a shame that visiting our National Parks now requires a reservation. I worked in Utah one winter and for our 8th anniversary we enjoyed Moab in November. We had the Canyonlands to ourselves; drove for miles on the White Rim Road with a two-wheel drive pickup and never saw another human. Arches National Park was slightly busier but still deserted by modern standards. Even some of Utah's State Parks are worthy of National Park status - Dead Horse Point State Park and Kodachrome Basin State Park come to mind , but there are others that if the park was in another state might have been stand alone National Parks.
The OP wants to ride, so my suggestion would be to visit during the school year to cut down on traffic.
School year, good point. I was thinking June but maybe late August or September would be better.

We used to take our vacations in the two weeks prior to Memorial Day, or the two weeks after Labor Day. The weather was still good usually. The activities still open. And the prices had dropped.

The park service may drop the reservations after the off season starts. In Zion, there's a portion of the year when you can drive the restricted road instead of using the shuttle.

Chris

We used to take our vacations in the two weeks prior to Memorial Day, or the two weeks after Labor Day. The weather was still good usually. The activities still open. And the prices had dropped.

The park service may drop the reservations after the off season starts. In Zion, there's a portion of the year when you can drive the restricted road instead of using the shuttle.

Chris
Thanks Chris. That would work for me because are temps are not to bad then. I think school goes to about the middle of June there.

If doing UT12, start in Torrey. The view going in that direction through the Grand Escalante is simply stunning. Also, make sure you do about ten miles to the drop on the Burr Trail out of Boulder, UT, off of 12.

I stayed in Torrey back in '05 at this place, very clean then(and nice showers) and it sounds like it still is. Current tenting rate is $25, it was $11 back when I went. Quite a nice view, also.

There is a scenic pull of on US24 a few miles east of Torrey, the most scenic sunset I've ever seen with Capitol Reef lit up all purty.

Iff'n you wanna rough it there is a free BLM camp not far from the scenic turnout on the north side of 24. As of a couple of years ago they did have portable toilets there. No water but lots of hummingbirds. Some "sites" have a bit of shade.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input so far. It fits well with my type of planning. I dont always stick to my plans and change on the fly so the info on places to stay/camp and different roads to take are great. Thanks and keep them coming!

I don't know your experience level, but even in the summer you can encounter wildly different weather conditions within hours. Layers are a good idea, whether you have heated gear or not. Also, when it rains, it pours.

Chris

I don't know your experience level, but even in the summer you can encounter wildly different weather conditions within hours. Layers are a good idea, whether you have heated gear or not. Also, when it rains, it pours.

Chris
When we went to CO/IT this year we experienced 109*F down to upper 30’s.

Chris
Rain gear, heated liner and cooling vest will be packed . Past summer I did a Mt/Id ride. Plugged in in the morning, cooling vest in the afternoon 😊.
I would like to to Beartooth on the way back , depends on the snowpack.

Edited my last post, I couldn’t make sense of it myself!

The biggest thing I would research to consider changing is the ride from PA to CO. Although a straight-shot across, and the quickest way to easily relocate East to West, I-70 had a lot of commercial traffic. We counted more than 150 trucks at one rest - the noise from all idling was intense.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

What time of year? Dont mind the cold but 109 is rough!
Travel time: I'd avoid June thru Labor Day; Utah becomes so hot and hosts lots of summer visitors. IMO, ideal time is mid-April to late-May and similar shoulder in early fall (so just past Labor Day to mid-Oct). you'll enjoy. Hope you choose to take at least a few photos and post some here in trip report ... 🙂

Travel time: I'd avoid June thru Labor Day; Utah becomes so hot and hosts lots of summer visitors. IMO, ideal time is mid-April to late-May and similar shoulder in early fall (so just past Labor Day to mid-Oct). you'll enjoy. Hope you choose to take at least a few photos and post some here in trip report ... 🙂
I am thinking just past labor day. The problem going from north to south is one end is cold and the other warm!
Early to mid September should be good. Mid October is we sometimes get snow or freezing rain then.
Thanks for the input.