• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Polar Bear 2010-11 Ride # 1 CAPE MAY V.F.W. post #386, N.J. 419 Congress St., Ca

Bigben

Scooter
Polar Bear 2010-11 Ride # 1 CAPE MAY V.F.W. post #386, N.J. 419 Congress St., Cape May, N.J. 08204

Date: October 30-31
Start: Ellenville, NY
Destination: CAPE MAY V.F.W. post #386, N.J. 419 Congress St., Cape May
Roundtrip Miles: 488 Miles

October 30 Out Bound Temperature at 11:30am: 45F
October 30 Temperature on arrrival  to Cape May at 3:30pm: 58F

October 31 Out Bound Temperature at 1:30pm: 63F
October 31 Temperature on arrrival  home at 6:35pm: 39F

Issues:  Almost didn't make it back. While checking my bike in the morning at the Sun Crest Hotel,  I discovered that the upper engine mounting bolt was broken. The engine had dropped about an inch lower from it's normal position. The resulting weight broke a couple of the side fairing tabs. I took the bike apart in the parking lot to see the extent of the damage.  It's Sunday and no automotive store around that was open. luckily, there was a hardware store a couples of blocks up, so I went in to find a temporary solution to hold my engine up. I ended up buying a rode about 15" long, four nuts (two for each side) two washers and two lock washer. With my wife helping, we tried to life the engine up into postion to insert the rode, but it was too heavy. I went back to the hardware store to See if the had jack I could borrow. The answer was NO. But they had a few from which I could select and buy. So I bought the $19 jack, small enough to fit in my topcase, went back to the bike and with the help of my wife we figured out how to operate the jack. We placed the jack under the engine and slowly jacked it up into postion, inserted the rode, locked it down with the nuts and washers and we were back on the road. We rode a few blocks to the VFW Post, signed in, sided hello to Bob,  a fellow Ramapo MC member and we're off to Ellenville by 1:30pm. We decided to take back roads for about 100 miles since we're uncertain about the temporary fix. After a while on the back roads without any unusual viberations, we decided to jump on the super slab and booked home at 75 -85 mph without any problems.  Below are picture of some of the beautiful Cap May homes and me fixing Connie.

Next Destination:November 7, 2010 - The destination is IRISH EYES PUB, 213 Angler's Rd. , Lewes, DE 19958 Ph# 302-645-6888. We will be having our South Pole Party again this year. Take Delaware Bridge to Rt #13 S. to Dover (approx 43 miles) you should be in left lane. Take Rt #113 S for approx. 20 miles, just before Milford take Rt #1 S. Go approx 20 miles: you should be in left lane to bear left on Rt #9 for Lewes: Go over bridge, make left on Angler's Road; go to end. Or take the Cape May Ferry. When you come off Ferry make a right, go 0.8 miles (Dairy Queen on right), make left on Angler's Road; go to end or pick up DEL. Rt. 1(Toll Rd $1.00) at Smyrna to bypass Dover. www.irisheyespub.com

http://picasaweb.google.com/Connie.rides64/PolarBear201011Ride1CAPEMAYVFWPost386NJ419CongressStCapeMayNJ08204#

Link to other Polar bear Pics http://www.polarbeargrandtour.com/cm10b.htm

***********************************************************************************************
Polar Bear Grand Tour
Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Two (2) points will be awarded for each stop when a motorcycle is ridden to and from sign-in. Cars will be awarded one (1) point but only three times (save them for bad weather).

2. One (1) point will be awarded for each hundred motorcycle miles round trip from your home address. You must use the most direct route. This is on the honor system but the committee reserves the right to challenge and verify any mileage.

3. In order to receive your points you must sign in and log your round trip mileage each week. Sign book and enter mileage only, do not enter points.

4. All meets start at 11:30 am and end at 1:30 pm unless otherwise noted in the directions.

5. A total of thirty (30) points must be accumulated in the season to qualify for patches.

6. Extra points: upon presentation of proof of participation in the Cortona Midnight Run, four points will be awarded, Riding to Daytona and back by motorcycle for speed week will give you six points, Two points will be awarded for attempting to give blood at the North Jersey Blood Center, 45 S Grove St, E. Orange NJ or any NJ Blood Bank. Be sure it is credited to The District Two acct. # 2150. You don't have to ride a motorcycle to the site where blood is given. If you do, you will also receive regular mileage points but please be careful riding after giving blood. Two points + mileage points will be awarded for the Chile-Chilly Run.

7. There will be a perfect attendance pin. You must make at least thirty points to qualify and all scheduled Polar Bear sign-ins. You will not have to make any of the extra points (Riding to Daytona and back counts for two (2) Sundays for perfect attendance).

8. All thirty point qualifiers will receive the appropriate patch and/or rocker.

9. To encourage more riding after the 30 points are accumulated, two additional awards are available. The first is a Gold Rocker if you get at least 45 points. The second is a pin if you accumulate 60 points.

10 All meets cancelled will be substituted. Check the A.M.A. hotline Ph# 908-722-0128 or your email for information.

11 For changes etc, call each week A.M.A. Dist #2 Ph # 908-722-0128 or check your email (if you have provided your email address to the Club officers).

12 Be sure to get a newsletter when published. It may contain updated information, changes, etc.

HAVE FUN! - RIDE SAFE! - BRING A FRIEND!

Wow. Ben you folks like livin' on the edge...  Glad to hear it all worked out ok for you.  It's getting pretty darn cool out there to ride.  At least around here it is.

I think the old Connie has reached the end of the road. I will ride it for the four or five months then get a C-14 sometime in the Spring.
I don't think it's worth throwing more $$$ to keep on fixing all the little things. The engine still runs great, but I think I will put it out for parts next year.
I might donate it to COG Spring Tech for parts if I can get a tax credit for it. Can that be done? Does anyone know is COG can do that as a not-for-profit organization?