• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Power commander V problems

mjroelofs

Mini Bike
So I took my dual muzzy exhaust system along with the power commander V off of my 2009 totaled Connie and put them on a 2012 and can't get it to work.  I followed the instructions to the letter but I keep getting a F1 error and it won't start.  I disconnected the power commander and plugged everything back to its original state thinking maybe the power commander was internally damaged from the impact of hitting a deer and I just need a new one.  But now when I fire up the bike I am hearing a slight ticking sound coming from the right side of the bike close to the fan almost sounding like an electrical problem.  Any thoughts on what's going on?

First things first, it sounds like your PCV was not working. The question is whether or not the PCV has a problem now, or maybe just a bad ground? So I'll ask the obvious question just in case. Are you sure that you have a good ground on the PCV? IIRC, it called for the ground to go behind the water bottle against the frame. If it's in front of the water bottle, it may get a bad ground. Or of course a better ground if you want to go that route.
  As far as the ticking. It's hard to say just from what you have posted. Could it just be the metal expanding as it heats? I can't think of anything with either the exhaust or the PCV that should cause a ticking on the front right of the bike. Maybe someone else might have an idea.

Cap'n Bob said:
  First things first, it sounds like your PCV was not working. The question is whether or not the PCV has a problem now, or maybe just a bad ground? So I'll ask the obvious question just in case. Are you sure that you have a good ground on the PCV? IIRC, it called for the ground to go behind the water bottle against the frame. If it's in front of the water bottle, it may get a bad ground. Or of course a better ground if you want to go that route.
  As far as the ticking. It's hard to say just from what you have posted. Could it just be the metal expanding as it heats? I can't think of anything with either the exhaust or the PCV that should cause a ticking on the front right of the bike. Maybe someone else might have an idea.

See I thought it could have been the ground too but I moved it twice and got the same results.  I really don't want to ride it a lot without the correct map on.  I'm only 30 miles in the break in period.  Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.  Thanks for the input

Those  2 bikes are vastly different.
The PCV  models are different from 2009 from those higher than 2010 and so you cannot swap them.
ZG1400 CONCOURS 2009   17-013    
ZG1400 CONCOURS 2010 and up   17-022

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/pclist.htm

Call Jamie at FuelMoto. He would be the person to help you.

:-[  I should have thought of that Mike. Thank you for posting that. I knew someone would know the answer.

Daytona_Mike said:
Those  2 bikes are vastly different.
The PCV  models are different from 2009 from those higher than 2010 and so you cannot swap them.
ZG1400 CONCOURS 2009   17-013    
ZG1400 CONCOURS 2010 and up   17-022

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/pclist.htm

Call Jamie at FuelMoto. He would be the person to help you.

I was thinking that could possibly be the problem and this just confirms it.  Well I guess I'm posting a PCV for sale here in the next few days.  Thanks for the input. 

Mike

Make sure you have it plugged into the right connectors. You can actually plug it into the connector that goes to the stick coils at the forward part of the engine up by the head on the left side, as they are IDENTICAL and this would be the WRONG location to plug it into. It should be plugged into the connector that is under the throttle bodies, more toward the rear of the engine.

I could be wrong, but I believe the only difference in the two part numbers of the PCV for the 09 and 10 bikes were the map that was loaded into them, since the later model bikes have a different base map in the ECU. I'd have to go back and check to be sure, but I don't think there were any changes to the wiring of the connectors the PCV plugs into.

Go back and look again, I bet you plugged it into the wrong connector. Look at this photo and you can just see a small portion of the brown connector behind the right most corner of the coolant reservoir. That is the one you are after. There is a duplicate connector up higher on the engine near the top of the head for the stick coils, and that is the WRONG ONE. The correct connector is down LOW and AFT under the throttle body.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Make sure you have it plugged into the right connectors. You can actually plug it into the connector that goes to the stick coils at the forward part of the engine up by the head on the left side, as they are IDENTICAL and this would be the WRONG location to plug it into. It should be plugged into the connector that is under the throttle bodies, more toward the rear of the engine.

I could be wrong, but I believe the only difference in the two part numbers of the PCV for the 09 and 10 bikes were the map that was loaded into them, since the later model bikes have a different base map in the ECU. I'd have to go back and check to be sure, but I don't think there were any changes to the wiring of the connectors the PCV plugs into.

Go back and look again, I bet you plugged it into the wrong connector. Look at this photo and you can just see a small portion of the brown connector behind the right most corner of the coolant reservoir. That is the one you are after. There is a duplicate connector up higher on the engine near the top of the head for the stick coils, and that is the WRONG ONE. The correct connector is down LOW and AFT under the throttle body.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Thanks Fred.  Yeah I did initially plug it into the wrong one but then corrected it.  Still did not work and I'm guessing it is because it came off my '09.  For now I am going to run it without the PCV.  Thanks again Fred!
:great: