• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PR3/777 Combo Question

Cape Fear

Hi All. I have read through the "So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?" sticky and decided to try the PR3/777 combo for my new-to-me 2004 C10. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere but the only Shinko 777 in the 150/80-16 size that I can find is listed as "Heavy Duty" on their web site. It is part # 87-4597. Is this the correct tire?

i-ZtzkSrC.jpg

Go ahead, spring the extra money for the whitewall, you know you want to...  ;)

Yes, 150/80-16 is the correct size.

WillyP said:
Go ahead, spring the extra money for the whitewall, you know you want to...  ;)

Yes, 150/80-16 is the correct size.

Ha - I don't think the WW is for me!

Thanks for the quick response. I want to get these ordered, delivered & installed by next weekend. It's the "Heavy Duty" part I'm most curious about. I'm assuming since i can't find a 'normal' 777 in 150/80-16 the "Heavy Duty" must be the one everyone is running. But you know what they say about assumptions, so I'm just looking for clarification before I click through and order.

I really like that combination, just installed the second 777 this spring, got 10,000Klicks out of the last one.  The PR3 will do another year.

Heavy duty is a marketing term and means whatever the manufacturer says it means. Go by the weight and speed rating.

But, I don't own a Shinko, so maybe someone who does will chime in.

Unless something has really changed, 129 is crazy high for that Shinko. Usually $85-95.

PR3 can be had for about $130.

Thanks everybody, for the info. So I am going to get these on the way.

SteveJ. - that $129 is MSRP off Shinko's web site, I am seeing it out there for the $85-$95 range you estimated.

I live in a really hot area of the country near Charleston, SC. Also the only roads we have with curves here are the exit ramps. Saying that, I never get a chance to use the sides of my tires so I only have the middle to wear out. My Shinko 777 HD wore out in and was down to the wear bars in about 5,000 miles. I decided to go with the Michelin Commander II 150/80/16 for my latest tire. I chose it because it's supposed to last even longer than the Metzler ME888, so I'm hoping it works out.

Scattered-Smothered said:
I live in a really hot area of the country near Charleston, SC. Also the only roads we have with curves here are the exit ramps. Saying that, I never get a chance to use the sides of my tires so I only have the middle to wear out. My Shinko 777 HD wore out in and was down to the wear bars in about 5,000 miles. I decided to go with the Michelin Commander II 150/80/16 for my latest tire. I chose it because it's supposed to last even longer than the Metzler ME888, so I'm hoping it works out.

Ouch. If I keep riding at this rate 5000 miles will carry me through mid-October. I'll need a new rear as soon as good riding weather gets here!

Well, tires are consumables anyhow. If I'm not happy with the 777 I'll try something else.

How do you like the Michelin Commander II so far? How many miles on it?

Thats odd.  I've got just about 5000 mi on my 777 rear and it looks new still.  I usually get 10,000 to 12,000 mi out of a rear tire and this looks like it will last that long.  :??:

Sparkie said:
Thats odd.  I've got just about 5000 mi on my 777 rear and it looks new still.  I usually get 10,000 to 12,000 mi out of a rear tire and this looks like it will last that long.  :??:

Yeah, so did I on the 2002 and that was before they changed to the Heavy Duty rating. Great wearing tire. 5000 miles and plenty of twisties and hardly any wear.
Then I put one on the back of the 2005 but I sold it before going that many miles. I did order a Shinko Verge for the front but sold it before getting it mounted so I can't report of that one.

Go easy, really easy, on the throttle with that CommanderII  when cornering on wet roads. DAMHIK,IJK. I asked for and received a refund from Michelin. It was that scary.

Good tire on the dry, though.

The day I put the Commander II on the bike I rode 10 miles and the engine blew. There is a big thread as to what all happened, but I ended up doing an engine swap and after a month I have it rolling again. So I haven't put 200 miles on that tire yet. But I did ride it in wet road conditions yesterday evening and it seemed to grip pretty decent. I wasn't going all out or anything but it did well on highway speeds and sharp exit ramps. I do have to admit, the dry grip is pretty good. Had a big smile on my face. I got it cause I ride a lot and I can't change rear tires that often so I thought I'd try the commander since I already had the pr3 on the front and it's fairly new and I got it on sale at a local store here in town. I'll update though as I ride it more.