• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PR3 Toast at 3475 miles

Just Cliff

Will to steal Fred's previous heading, my rear PR3 is done at only 3475 miles. The front measures out at 2/32 same miles. This is my third set since the end of April this year!
I may have to get a second job to pay for tires or give up riding.

Cliff  :beerchug:
Will work for tire money!

Just Cliff said:
Will to steal Fred's previous heading, my rear PR3 is done at only 3475 miles. The front measures out at 2/32 same miles. This is my third set since the end of April this year!

Damn, you are tough on tires.  I got 6k out of the rear and was happy with that.  Yoy may need to go with the K491's  :D

I think the clue may be in your location Cliff.
I'm guessing that South Central Region may be near Texas?  ;D
Your roads do seem to be quite abrasive compared to elsewhere.
Perhaps it's the heat or maybe they use a different material for the surfacing.
I get around 7-8k miles from a rear PR3 with a combination of touring and twisties.
I don't think you'll find a better rear tyre for the C14 in terms of all round usability but if ya rarely ride in the wet then maybe switch to the PR2 or the Angel ST. As for fitting a K491 or a car tyre, well that's probably the only way you'll get "decent" mileage from a tyre.  :rotflmao:
Of course you'll scare yerself silly the first time ya give her some beans coming out of a corner.

The bike is 61 months old & I've averaged a tire change every 3.9 months over the life of the bike. The bad part is I normally only ride 1 day a week, sat. or sun. unless I'm traveling.
Bob, I've always considered myself a pretty average rider & not hard to on the throttle. Though I get told differently, I may ride a little quicker than I think.
Yes Boomer I'm in Arkansas & our roads are abrasives. My mileage does increases when I travel out west. I've had PR2's & got 4500 - 4900 out of them. Didn't care for them though.
3475 on PR'3 has to be some kind of low mileage record for a premium brand tire. That's less than most get out of stock stones.

Try Shinko (Shinko bought out Yokoama) Raven 009 ($105.00 delivered off the net)) Hard compound. Has to be warmed up (always warm in S. Fl.)  before you hit it hard. 5,000 miles on rear if you go easy in first and second. Our black-top roads are coral composite.  BE SAFE!! :motonoises:

Just Cliff said:
The bike is 61 months old & I've averaged a tire change every 3.9 months over the life of the bike. The bad part is I normally only ride 1 day a week, sat. or sun. unless I'm traveling.
Bob, I've always considered myself a pretty average rider & not hard to on the throttle. Though I get told differently, I may ride a little quicker than I think.
Yes Boomer I'm in Arkansas & our roads are abrasives. My mileage does increases when I travel out west. I've had PR2's & got 4500 - 4900 out of them. Didn't care for them though.
3475 on PR'3 has to be some kind of low mileage record for a premium brand tire. That's less than most get out of stock stones.

Another suggestion (to add to the collage)...you may want to replace the front forks with traxxion...the suspension system sometimes is related to tire wear. Is your suspension set on super soft? That may mean you are a red-neck also. The softer the suspension the more likely the forks will flex causing cupping...inflation? what psi are you running? weight?

At any rate, your case seems to me the most radical tire-wearage I have ever heard of...barring the hot-rodder mistreatment in the twisties.

Alan_Yucius_FL said:
Try Shinko (Shinko bought out Yokoama) Raven 009 ($105.00 delivered off the net)) Hard compound. Has to be warmed up (always warm in S. Fl.)  before you hit it hard. 5,000 miles on rear if you go easy in first and second. Our black-top roads are coral composite.  BE SAFE!! :motonoises:

:D  He won't get 1500 miles out of that tire, I only got 3,200 out of the 009

I've been thinking about going to the PR3's, but I've got 6300 on the stock Bridgestone tires. The front is starting to cup pretty bad. The rear looks to be about 3/4 the way gone. I run the tires at 42psi in St Louis, and I don't ride in the rain, unless I get caught out in it. On the highway I cruise around 75, but I also do a lot of in town riding.

Hopefully I will get the same or better mileage out of the next set.

I may not ride quite as....spirited...... as Cliff, and here in north Texas, curvy roads are not as easily found as in AR, but I am approaching 7,000 miles on the Angels. The front still looks great, and the rear is just starting to get flattened in the center, but absolutely no cupping yet on either shoe.

As point of reference, the stockers were completely toast on mine at 5,500 miles. The front was worse than the rear by a long shot.

Unfortunately, Cliff, I think you mentioned to me once you tore through the Angels in no-time.

I think that I get better wear out of the PR3's over the Angels. The problem being that the Angels are just soooooooooo good, that they get me playing tooooooooooo much. So they tend to not wear quite as good as the PR3's. But to be fair, the PR3's are pretty good to play on as well. I think that they just wear a little better for me. Both are good tires IMO.

Cap'n Bob said:
I think that I get better wear out of the PR3's over the Angels. The problem being that the Angels are just soooooooooo good, that they get me playing tooooooooooo much. So they tend to not wear quite as good as the PR3's. But to be fair, the PR3's are pretty good to play on as well. I think that they just wear a little better for me. Both are good tires IMO.

You mean to tell me that the Pirelli Angels have better grip than the PR3? Do they grip better in the wet also? cause I can switch religions in a heart beat to the Angels if they grip wet better...

dude! I been riding in the rain for 3 days with them Stone...with my own stone up in my throat sometimes...what a lousy tire

Nando said:
Cap'n Bob said:

You mean to tell me that the Pirelli Angels have better grip than the PR3? Do they grip better in the wet also? cause I can switch religions in a heart beat to the Angels if they grip wet better...

dude! I been riding in the rain for 3 days with them Stone...with my own stone up in my throat sometimes...what a lousy tire

The PR3's are a good tire IMO. They are good in the dry. But the Angels are better in the dry. The Angels are more fun. They inspire confidence better and want to drop into corners when you want, but give great feel and feed back. They are my favorite tire in the dry. They are also good in the wet. But here's the thing.
  The PR3 is better in the wet. Actually the best wet weather tire I've used on a motorcycle. So yes, better than the Angel in the wet. So the trade off is what do you prefer in a tire. Better dry, or better wet? I have been running the PR3's because they are good in the dry, and excellent in the wet. They also tend to last slightly longer for me. So I have been running the PR3's. But the Angels are excellent in the dry and good in the wet. IMO, they are a better dry weather tire.
  Like I said it's a trade off. If you ride a lot in the rain or mileage is more important to you. GO with the PR3's. If you ride mostly in the dry and want the best performance, but maybe slightly less mileage. Then you'll love the Angels. Both are great tires that do it all pretty good.

SSSSO don't want to get hit with a stick but how does the BT023 compare. :truce:
Reason I asked is on my ST1300 the BT023 seemed pretty good all around tire. The C14 is only 50 pounds or so lighter.
I am still on the factory skins so I will need to make competentnt choice soon.

I have no experience on the 023. But some folks have given them positive comments. (but I don't know the ratio of good to bad) So I can't really comment on them. But compared to the 021. Night and day.

Nando, I know all about suspension alternatives & I'm anal about tire pressure (42). My suspension is set a little on the stiff side for my riding style. I've wanted to upgrade my suspension but I seem to always be buying tires. That may compound my problem anyway, better handling, faster speeds, more aggressive riding equals less miles.
Dalroo, I haven't had the Angel's. Just the Diablo Strata's which I think were good for about 3800-4000 (predecessors to the Angels I belive).
With winter here maybe the 2 set's of Storm 2's I have will carry me through July.

try running 44 pounds front and rear.  i got use to running lower pressure on my liter sport bikes, for more traction, but got lousy mileage.  started running the conniie at 40/41 due to crappy roads and a harsh ride. however, because of the unbelieveably bad roads and running corners a high speed on all my bikes, my wheels are now all dinged/ bent.  i upped the liter bikes to close to recommended pressures and run the connie about 2 pounds high. 44/44.  mileage better on all bikes(harley ultra classic also), especially connie,and no more dings.  still cornering real hard, with no lose of traction or confidence.

On a hot mainland day that 44 psi would probably increase to close to 50? no? ain't that close to blowing? just asking? figure a good 98deg Tucson day and 300 mile run at 44psi...???

I wish I had a dollar for every time any of us have complained about the longevity of motorcycle tires...ya would think: somebody would have addressed that consumer nitch by now...has to be a conspiracy.

Watch your TPMS and see how much or how little your pressure changes.  You will see LITTLE change if you watch it (1 to 3 lbs max)!  Only you can decide what feels good to you, where you ride and how you ride. What ever, BE SAFE

The more pressure you run in a tire the cooler it will run. An underinflated tire, especially on a big heavy bike will get much warmer and will likely increase in pressure more (as a %) than a prpoerly inflated tire.

All tires need some heat in them in order to get good grip when leaned over. Street tires come up to a usuable temp quicker than race tires. If you are running at 42PSI or higher I would caution you to allow a little more time for the tires to warm up before challanging an apex.

Alan_Yucius_FL said:
Watch your TPMS and see how much or how little your pressure changes.  You will see LITTLE change if you watch it (1 to 3 lbs max)!  Only you can decide what feels good to you, where you ride and how you ride. What ever, BE SAFE

Maybe someone else can chime in here to the specifics, but I believe the TPMS is temperature compensated and that is why there is only a 1-2 psi change. It's designed to display an estimated cold pressure even when the tire is heated up. I would never use TPMS to set tire pressures.

mehush said:
The more pressure you run in a tire the cooler it will run. An underinflated tire, especially on a big heavy bike will get much warmer and will likely increase in pressure more (as a %) than a prpoerly inflated tire.

All tires need some heat in them in order to get good grip when leaned over. Street tires come up to a usuable temp quicker than race tires. If you are running at 42PSI or higher I would caution you to allow a little more time for the tires to warm up before challanging an apex.

Mike, Try checking your tire pressure w/a gauge before you ride, watch the TPMS to see what it is when the tires heat up and then check them again w/your gauge and you will see they are close to the same #s  as the TPMS. Don't expect them to be exact.  Probably if you used 3 different tire gauges all the readings would not be the same.  Yes , you do reduce tire pressure each time just reading the pressure.  Low pressure tires do increase pressure MORE than higher pressure tires.  If high pressure tires continued to increase I would have had blowouts  many times after many of the 1,000 mile Iron Butt runs I've done.  Miles add up fast at 100 mph :) :motonoises:    Ride Safe & Responsively    or is that Drink Responsively? :beerchug:

I just replaced my PR3’s with another set.  I ran them consistently at 44 PSI and they lasted 9400 miles.  I could have ridden another 2000 miles give or take on the front. 

The original Bridgestone’s were done at 4300 miles and the front was toast first and the rear could have gone further.

Pictures of the old PR3’s next to the new.

Attachments

• PR3 Front.jpg
    PR3 Front.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 100
  • PR3 Rear.jpg
    PR3 Rear.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 108
44 psi!!!....must ride a little on the rough side ah?....
well, if your theory holds, I am doing the right thing: running 39 on the OEM stone...and hoping those things dont last me another 50 miles...I need an excuse to change them

Steve,  You sure you didn't leave out the tire change you made before this one.  What speed or RPMs you shifting at? You riding on all highway roads? :-X  That is AMAZING!  :eek:    Anyone else have that kind of mileage on PR3s? ;)  I'm jacking up my air pressure if that will do it. :)

I ride spirited, but not like Speed Racer, and never have Jim_Jim or Trixie on the back.    I would say I lean more towards the touring side than the sport side.  I’m usually shifting below 5000 RPM, but do wind it out at times----well because that is fun and the point of having the sport side.  I often think I should be harder on rear tires since I use compression braking, and also the rear brake. I paid for that rear brake so I’m using it when it makes sense. 

I ride in Central PA (Amish County) and there are many tar and chipped roads, and lots of twistiness.  I don’t do a lot of slab riding, and last year rode 10 K miles, with four multi-day trips.

I tried lower tire pressures, didn’t notice a difference in ride or performance, so I decided to run the higher pressures.  Note that filling to 44 PSI can show 45-46 on the TPS, and it takes regular filling to maintain that.  I like the PR3s for sure. 

Well I pulled the PR3's off yesterday after riding 1 more short ride, while waiting TPMS batteries to arrive. The ending mileage was 3,651 & they are slick.
The picture 4bikes has posted look good compared to mine.

Changing TPMS batteries is simple enough. I have extras if anybody in this area needs some or help with them.

Just Cliff said:

Maybe you should try another brand...I got over 9000 on the OEM Dunlop tires and was getting over 9000 on the Avon tires on my '06. I only bought 4 sets of tires for 51575 miles and 6 years, 6 months and 10 days of ownership.

Competion Acc. had a black friday sale & they were $244.00 per set shipped. So I bought two sets, $488.00 delivered to my door.
The PR3's had excellent grip but after having 3 set's they just weren't holding up, at least not for me. I had 2 set's of Storm 2's previously & they held up better than any others.
At that price it was a no brainer for me.

Thanks. I am going to need tires really soon and I am looking at the PR3's, but I was hoping for better miles than what I have been hearing. The stock stones have 6500 now, the front is pretty choppy and the rear looks like 20-25% left. I'm in the Midwest, and I'm not too much of a leaner on this thing just yet. So I'm still up in the air. I have never changed my own tires on any bike, but I also don't want to pay full MSRP at the dealer. Those prices were out of site (450 for a pair of PR3's and 75 per wheel to install)

If you have 6500 on OEM's the PR3's may do well for you. Shop online for best tire price. If you're not able to mount your on tires at least remove the wheels & take them to the shop. Should be about $25.00 a wheel then. Good luck.

Back wheel is a piece of cake, very easy. Front wheel is not hard either. Just more time consuming, more stuff to take loose & bike has to be supported with jack.

How do you support the C14 to remove the front tire?

I guess you would have to remove the rear, take it to the shop, re install it; then do the same for the front, no?

How can you jack up the whole bike at once? Could you?

- bike on center stand.

- then use an ordinary scissor jack below the manifold's collector section to lift the front.

I feel better doing the wheel removal myself, and I do them one at a time.  It takes two trips to the dealer, but I have a Yamaha dealer close-by that I trust for tire changes without destroying TPS units.  I never trusted the C-14 on the center stand, and jacking the front at the same time.  Perhaps I should?

If you guys are worried about using the centerstand with a bottle jack under the manifold to lift the front wheel, an investment in a front pin lift and rear spool lift might be in order.

I sold mine when I sold my ZX14, and wish I hadn't because it would work on the C14 just fine, with the exact same pin I put on for the ZX14.

This lifts the front wheel and tire off the ground and you can remove the front wheel because its not in the way (too much).

When I was re-skinning my ZX14 etc. I had her up on a rear spool stand and front pin stand, completely off the floor, all winter.  That way, I didn't have to worry about knocking her off the center stand. I put spools on my ZX14 specifically so I could lift it in the rear, but this may not be as easy with the C14.

I need to go look at mine and decide how to do it. Because now that I have a tire changer thanks to the 2012 National folks, and my machinist has made it better (the rod is firmly mounted, it has a soap bottle attached in a convenient location, and the monoblocks are on as is the heavy base) so I will put new PR3s on when the pair I had last season wears out. Which they have not, Arkansas' NW corner roads notwithstanding.  :beerchug:

JR,
what are those rhings: rear spool / front lift?  where do I get it? how does it work? got pics?

A pin lift and spool lift might be the best way, thanks JR.  I watched Fred’s video and was convinced that the three points of contact with the front jacked up and the rear tire on the ground was the way to go.  I actually did the math for purchasing a tire changer and a wheel balancer versus just taking them to a local dealer.  In the end it was somewhat of a wash, but the amount of space to keep a tire changer for a change every 7-12 months made the dealer option more attractive.  I like tools and have many, so this was a tough call.

A milk crate works great. Jack up bike remove front wheel & then let the forks set down on crate for stability. It will sit on center stand & crate with both wheels off no problem's.

4Bikes said:
A pin lift and spool lift might be the best way, thanks JR.  I watched Fred’s video and was convinced that the three points of contact with the front jacked up and the rear tire on the ground was the way to go.  I actually did the math for purchasing a tire changer and a wheel balancer versus just taking them to a local dealer.  In the end it was somewhat of a wash, but the amount of space to keep a tire changer for a change every 7-12 months made the dealer option more attractive.  I like tools and have many, so this was a tough call.

Tire change every 7-12 months? That must be nice.

Just Cliff said:
A milk crate works great. Jack up bike remove front wheel & then let the forks set down on crate for stability. It will sit on center stand & crate with both wheels off no problem's.

4Bikes said:

Tire change every 7-12 months? That must be nice.

I would not do that. We put my wifes Vulcan 900 up on a crate and it buckled! lucky we were still standing there and caught it.

4Bikes said:

All my riding career (longer than many of you are old, lol) I have paid someone to put new tires on my bikes, cars, and other wheeled things.

The only reason I will change my own is because I won the tire changer at the 2012 National Rally, and it would be shame not to put it to good use.

I have a harbor freight tire changer and a No-Mar bar. It's still a lot of work.
The last two times I have taken them down to cycle gear and paid the $25.00 each.
Lazy I guess. ???

PaleRider said:
I have a harbor freight tire changer and a No-Mar bar. It's still a lot of work.
The last two times I have taken them down to cycle gear and paid the $25.00 each.
Lazy I guess. ???

I have modified my harbor freight with Mojo Blocks making it a No-Mar equivalent, and put a collar down the throat of the pedastal tube which makes the rod you use to pivot the bar around firmly mounted. And have a soap "bucket" affixed too. I also have a Mojo Lever which is safe on carbon fiber wheels and such.

These mods make it much easier to use.

nando said:
A picture is worth a thousand words...especially to some of us who dont know the words

There are of course much better ways of doing this, but I've found that when in a pinch - and with a tiny sense of adventure *cough* - you can make this work by first removing the rear wheel (with the bike on the center stand), then using a ratchet strap attached to the rear end of the bike (e.g., luggage rack) and some external point in the vicinity, and then ratcheting it carefully until the front wheel is just off the ground. Now you can remove the front wheel as well, and the bike remains balanced with the help of the ratchet strap.

This is probably not one of those stunts where you want a bunch of wild kids running around and bumping the bike, but it will get the job done when in a pinch.

Attachments

• 2012-11-01 12.01.21a.jpg
    2012-11-01 12.01.21a.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 127
If you pull it backwards with a strap, like in your picture, it will hold it solidly on the centerstand. Just don't walk into it by accident or something. Heh.

I sure wish you folks would postbsome pics of the contraptions you are using to jack up Connie

nando said:
I sure wish you folks would postbsome pics of the contraptions you are using to jack up Connie

IMG00221-20110506-1512.jpg

IMG00219-20110506-1507.jpg

FYI, Metzler is on the verge of releasing a new Sport Touring tire, that I believe will come in C14 sizes. I hope to test one out soon, and will let you know how it goes.

I was not impressed with the way my last PR3 rear wore badly on one side only, and I'm not sure I'll use them anymore.

A tire designed for sports-touring!!! what a concept!!!!....I hope they are planning on sending some royalties...Fred you be my witness in my forthcoming suit : I know you heard me whinne about a specifically designed tire for these bikes since our old days in the GL gang.......ok maybe you just heard me whine...but I have been challenging these stupid tire manufacturers to make a touring tire for years....dont I deserve a couple of million for that foresight?

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
FYI, Metzler is on the verge of releasing a new Sport Touring tire, that I believe will come in C14 sizes. I hope to test one out soon, and will let you know how it goes.

I was not impressed with the way my last PR3 rear wore badly on one side only, and I'm not sure I'll use them anymore.

All 3 set's of mine wore badly on the left side, never had any other's do like that before. Then this last set only lasted 3475 miles. They were actually wore out at 3000 miles but I ran till they were slick. So I know I want use them anymore. Keep us posted Fred.

I got 15,000 miles out of my last pr3's. As of now, I have nearly 4,000 miles on the new set (went up one size in the rear 190/55) and they still look new. No special treatments except makingbsure to run at 42 psi

I am right at 8,000 miles on the Angels - front looks great, no cupping, but the rear is getting a pretty good flat spot. I will run the rear a little bit longer, but thinking I will change out in the next 1,000 miles, or before taking any non-local trip. I couldn't be happier.

Just turned the 6K miles on a set of PR3's and overnite the rear was toast. Left side of the tire wore very heavily at the point where I assume the compound changes from hard to soft. Same thing is happening on the right, but not as badly. Front still looks good but I do get a shimmey in the bars with hands off. Don't see any unusal wear pattern of the front but I think it will start to show up soon.

Probably 1/3 of the miles were 2-up.

I am not a great one for keeping tire pressures at the recommended 42 psi. I mostly let it fall to 34-35 before pumping them back up.

I have another set in the garage and I feel fine about mounting them. They handle well, and only exhibited bad tendencies at the end.

Not sure why the left side of the rear wore so much worse than the right. I have heard others mention the same thing.

Will probably try something else the next time I make a tire purchase.

At 3700 on OEMS  still look good for another 3 K or more .. a new set of PR3s sitting garage in  waiting. I keep tires at 42/42 PSI

mehush said:
Just turned the 6K miles on a set of PR3's and overnite the rear was toast. Left side of the tire wore very heavily at the point where I assume the compound changes from hard to soft. Same thing is happening on the right, but not as badly. Front still looks good but I do get a shimmey in the bars with hands off. Don't see any unusal wear pattern of the front but I think it will start to show up soon.

I am not a great one for keeping tire pressures at the recommended 42 psi. I mostly let it fall to 34-35 before pumping them back up.

I have another set in the garage and I feel fine about mounting them. They handle well, and only exhibited bad tendencies at the end.

Not sure why the left side of the rear wore so much worse than the right. I have heard others mention the same thing.

You really can't complain about poor tire wear or milage if you last pressures drop that much before you take action.  I at least try to check the tire pressure every couple of weeks if not before each ride, I mean they are the only things between me and the road

Brass said:
mehush said:

You really can't complain about poor tire wear or milage if you last pressures drop that much before you take action.  I at least try to check the tire pressure every couple of weeks if not before each ride, I mean they are the only things between me and the road

No complaining. Just posting my results for others to consider.