• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PR3 Wear

LSGiant

Just got back from Nevada. I live in Minnesota. The last two days, about 1200 miles, I had a lot of wind from the left side of bike. My rear PR3 with about 6000 miles is shot on the left side of the tire. The rest of the tire has at least 50% left.

Anybody else have this happen? 

LSGiant said:
I had a lot of wind from the left side of bike.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Guessing road pitch. That or theres a lot of left turns on the way home.

Wind from the left + having to lean the bike to the left just to go straight + soft compound on sides of tire = more wear on the left side of the tire.

Not sure if this has happend to anyone else, but I do see this as something that might become common on dual compound tires. Maybe if/when the PR4 come out, they'll be Tri Compound  <soft/medium/ferm/medium/soft> , which might be a happy medium for the riders that tend to do more highways than twistiest.

I am leaning, no pun intended at going back to the PR2 on the rear the next time. I was able to put to get the B rated tire in the PR2. I am wondering if that had anything to do with the wear pattern.

LSGiant said:
I am leaning, no pun intended at going back to the PR2 on the rear the next time. I was able to put to get the B rated tire in the PR2. I am wondering if that had anything to do with the wear pattern.
I've got the B rated pr3 190/55. About 3k miles. Will put about another 2.5k on at the end of the month. Let you know what I see. We'll be 2 up packed for a week from So. NV to the buncooler n back.

LSGiant said:
I've got the B rated pr3 190/55. About 3k miles. Will put about another 2.5k on at the end of the month. Let you know what I see. We'll be 2 up packed for a week from So. NV to the buncooler n back.

That is just the information I am looking for. I will have to replace this tire before the National.

LSGiant said:
LSGiant said:

That is just the information I am looking for. I will have to replace this tire before the National.
I like the 55 over the 50 (stock stones so not saying much). Bike seems to fall in better with less counter steer and picks up out the corners nicer. A much lighter feel. Maybe because they are a little taller changes wear. Haven't seen anything abnormal yet. Did the 3 k with a 50/50 mix of slab and twisty.

Where did you find a PR3 190/55 in the B version?  I can only find the 180/55 B version.  :motonoises:

a stone 023 is in a b in a 190/55, my last 3 or so sets have been an 023. i enjoy them more than the pr2.

LSGiant said:

Are you going to this?

http://www.teamlyle-alamoexpress.com/

ddialogue said:

Where did you find a PR3 190/55 in the B version?  I can only find the 180/55 B version.  :motonoises:
I gotta go check my skins. Could be the 180 cause I arrr stoopid. I'll passit on. If stock is 180 then they're 180. Didn't know about the Nevada run. Have to check it out though my posterior is more like chewed bubble gum than iron.

ddialogue said:

I gotta go check my skins. Could be the 180 cause I arrr stoopid. I'll passit on. If stock is 180 then they're 180. Didn't know about the Nevada run. Have to check it out though my posterior is more like chewed bubble gum than iron.
OK. Double checked. Yep, 190/55. Got them from the local stealership but they had to order the size. Had no idea about the "B" rating when I bought them. Learned that here on this awesome fountain of knowledge. I believe they ordered out of Cali. Wouldn't buy tire from them again though. Had my bike in for the next service and had them do it all then. Someone before mentioned PR 3's from Murph. May want to check with them.

ddialogue said:

OK. Double checked. Yep, 190/55. Got them from the local stealership but they had to order the size. Had no idea about the "B" rating when I bought them. Learned that here on this awesome fountain of knowledge. I believe they ordered out of Cali. Wouldn't buy tire from them again though. Had my bike in for the next service and had them do it all then. Someone before mentioned PR 3's from Murph. May want to check with them.

Thanks!  :beerchug:

Road pitch doesn't cause left side tire wear, which is a hugely common issue on motorcycle tires.  There's an awesome article on it here:

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

Right side tire wear is common in places that drive on the other side of the road.  Simply, you go faster for longer distances turning left, and in your case, you were leaned to the left for a LOT of extra miles on this trip.  Not your tire's fault.

Necron99 said:
Road pitch doesn't cause left side tire wear, which is a hugely common issue on motorcycle tires.  There's an awesome article on it here:

Right side tire wear is common in places that drive on the other side of the road.  Simply, you go faster for longer distances turning left, and in your case, you were leaned to the left for a LOT of extra miles on this trip.  Not your tire's fault.
Excellent article. I always believed the front cupping due to braking and turning but the rear wear always had me baffled. Now if someone can just explain to me the whole toilet going back wards in Australia thing. :))

I think it's because they lean on the other cheek which starts the water going in the other direction pre-flush.....  :))

Necron99 said:

Nice article but I can count the curves on one hand theat I took across Nevada, Utah and Wyoming and my left side was fine before that stretch.

JMHO

LSGiant said:
Necron99 said:

Got back from the bun cooler and watched the tire the whole way. Rear looks good. Some cupping on the trailing edge of the tread groove but nothing like mentioned above. 2500 on this trip with about 2 k previous use. Looked at other posts and some reviews. Got to thinkin' (here comes trouble). Some call this a rain tire. My understanding was a general purpose tire that handles well in the rain. Not a dedicated rain tire. Then remember watching some wet moto gp races where if they didn't change from wet's to dries and couldn't find some wet on the track to cool the tires they fell right off. Now I know you can't compare these with moto GP tires but could the heat and dry have something to do with it? On my previous 4.5K wear the temps have been pretty cool and we rode in the rain all day Sat. Only relatvely hot day was UT home to NV. Probably about 90 deg max when we got home. Heavy side wind had us leaning to the left for most of the way on the 15. 2 up packed for a week. Besides the cupping slight center flattening. Just throwing it out there.

Nice article but I can count the curves on one hand theat I took across Nevada, Utah and Wyoming and my left side was fine before that stretch.

JMHO