• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PR3's - 5500mi. rear

Mike12

Bicycle
Just changed the PR3 rear tire on my 2012 at 5500 mi. Could have stretched it another 500 miles back and forth to work with no problem with just the center worn, but running up to the Blue Ridge for a couple of days and I know it didnt have another 1500 left in it. Not as well as I expected but about the same as my ST used to get with my riding. Put the PR3's on before I left the dealer with this bike new and the PR3's handle nicely on this jewel.

I felt the need to replace my PR3 today as for the first time since I put it on in March it felt a little Hinky.

INstalled at 16.9K

431046_10151015007390098_1703123871_n.jpg

changed out today at 28.9K

New tire is beautiful and should be a sweet ride down to the MOto GP this weekend. Vendor area is always worth checking out.
246958_10151015008315098_343377506_n.jpg

Great service in Indy at Flat Out Kawi. East Washington Street. Called at noon said to bring it in. TIre changed out $268 OTD in 28 minutes.

I have 4,100 miles on my PR3s and they are still looking quite good. Will see how long they last...

Here's mine with 8k on it. I'm doing another shorter trip, probably 1000 miles or so, in a few weeks. Hopefully it lasts til I get home. What do you guys think? It's starting to get that flat spot on it.

3B548B68-3B6A-49A8-A53C-484185B0273C-18246-00001C23D28B594F.jpg

I'm thinking, what is that thin slice line running down the middle? What caused it, how deep, how long.

Picture of old tire at 5500 and the newbie.

Attachments

• IMG-20120816-00231 (2).jpg
    IMG-20120816-00231 (2).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 123
gnuse said:
I'm thinking, what is that thin slice line running down the middle? What caused it, how deep, how long.

That is weird isn't it. I just checked, it doesn't run all the way around the tire, and it's not in a straight line where it does show up. It's not deep either. Almost like it got scratched when I had it on the center stand and was rotating the back wheel to check tire pressure or something.

PR3's are AMAZING.  Best grip on the sides and the middle holds out for the long haul. I never thought Michelin could beat the PR2 but hey they blew it out and i know nothing

freebird6 said:
I felt the need to replace my PR3 today as for the first time since I put it on in March it felt a little Hinky.

INstalled at 16.9K

431046_10151015007390098_1703123871_n.jpg

changed out today at 28.9K

New tire is beautiful and should be a sweet ride down to the MOto GP this weekend. Vendor area is always worth checking out.
246958_10151015008315098_343377506_n.jpg

Great service in Indy at Flat Out Kawi. East Washington Street. Called at noon said to bring it in. TIre changed out $268 OTD in 28 minutes.

I was noticing to the right of your  reflecter it looks like a split or crack in the tire. Does anyone else see that or am I just seeing things.

Steve said:
PR3's are AMAZING.  Best grip on the sides and the middle holds out for the long haul. I never thought Michelin could beat the PR2 but hey they blew it out and i know nothing

You thought the PR2's were good?  :))    :pokestick:

I was noticing to the right of your  reflecter it looks like a split or crack in the tire. Does anyone else see that or am I just seeing things.

Thats just the thin rubber film from the tire mold.

Taz said:

Thats just the thin rubber film from the tire mold.

I agree. I think that what cklamer is referring to that we're seeing is a raised rubber seem.

I am pretty sure that any mold seams as you call them would be long gone by this time in a tire's life, 8000 miles! Michelin uses segmented molds normally and not clam-shell molds.

DanL, a scratch would likely be straight and as you know they are not uncommon. The line is not consistent with dual compound edges either. Can you tell the depth?

gnuse said:
I am pretty sure that any mold seams as you call them would be long gone by this time in a tire's life, 8000 miles! Michelin uses segmented molds normally and not clam-shell molds.

DanL, a scratch would likely be straight and as you know they are not uncommon. The line is not consistent with dual compound edges either. Can you tell the depth?

I tried to get an exacto knife blade in there, it won't go in at all, but I didn't want to force anything either. The line doesn't go all the way around the tire and seems to get lighter as it gets to the point where it disappears. I wonder if it's some defect. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse or not. If it does I'll get a new tire. 8000 isn't too bad considering some people are getting a lot less, while some get a lot more.

DanL,

Agreed about mileage. I never see those numbers, so not much to complain about. Michelin does have tire engineers and reps that would take a look. Give them a call. If you do pursue it, please let us know what they think. Thanks for all of your feedback on the tires.

JR said:
I have 4,100 miles on my PR3s and they are still looking quite good. Will see how long they last...

That is what I have on mine, at least the rear.  I have 3mm left, not to the wear bar but to the tire.  I am hoping they will last for 2000 miles for my Labor day weekend trip back to West by god Virginia  ;D

COGnosticat0r said:
JR said:

That is what I have on mine, at least the rear.  I have 3mm left, not to the wear bar but to the tire.  I am hoping they will last for 2000 miles for my Labor day weekend trip back to West by god Virginia  ;D

They should be fine. Though climate and road conditions cause differences in wear. The last set of PR3's lasted 9000 miles, toast at 10. That included a fully loaded tour to the East Coast. The biggest factor in longevity that I have seen is keeping the tire pressures (gage not dash) at 42 psi. minimum. I even go to 45 in the rear when loaded. That and wearing the sides down as much as possible.... :motonoises: ;D

Tundra Tom said:
They should be fine. Though climate and road conditions cause differences in wear. The last set of PR3's lasted 9000 miles, toast at 10. That included a fully loaded tour to the East Coast. The biggest factor in longevity that I have seen is keeping the tire pressures (gage not dash) at 42 psi. minimum. I even go to 45 in the rear when loaded. That and wearing the sides down as much as possible.... :motonoises: ;D

I agree. Using the bike for both highway and twisties is the recipe to keep the tires in good condition and wearing evenly.

Mine are scrubbed to the sidewalls, front and rear both. I'll keep them that way.

update on that weird line on my rear- it's gone after about 200 miles of riding.

The rear tire is about done too, I might have a few hundred left on it. I'll definitely replace it before my trip in few weeks. I can see the wear bars starting to show in places.

tom, come ride with me or MN-msta, well get your tire life back inline with mine.  :rotflmao:
how can you run the alphabets south in wi and have tires last ??

Joel

DanL said:
gnuse said:

That is weird isn't it. I just checked, it doesn't run all the way around the tire, and it's not in a straight line where it does show up. It's not deep either. Almost like it got scratched when I had it on the center stand and was rotating the back wheel to check tire pressure or something.

I have the same line on my rear tire, showed up during a trip, not sure why but hasn't been an issue so far.

JS_racer said:
tom, come ride with me or MN-msta, well get your tire life back inline with mine.  :rotflmao:
how can you run the alphabets south in wi and have tires last ??

Joel

Joel, I'm old and slow.  ;)

gnuse said:

That line is a kind of antenna that acts as a ground. It's normal.Strange but true.

DanL said:
update on that weird line on my rear- it's gone after about 200 miles of riding.

The rear tire is about done too, I might have a few hundred left on it. I'll definitely replace it before my trip in few weeks. I can see the wear bars starting to show in places.
Interesting. I'm guess it was a scratch/tear resulting from something on the road, nothing to do with the tire. Thanks for getting back on that. I am still looking forward to my first set of PR3's.

gnuse said:
DanL said:

Interesting. I'm guess it was a scratch/tear resulting from something on the road, nothing to do with the tire. Thanks for getting back on that. I am still looking forward to my first set of PR3's.

Well, the line is back, but I had emailed Michelin about it and they replied today- here's what they say, interesting:

August 29, 2012
Hello Dan,
Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a PR3 tire on the rear of a 2011 Kawasaki Concours with 8000 miles. There is plenty of tread on the tire, but there is a thin, irregular line that is running along the center of the tread, that goes about halfway around the tire. Almost like a cut or scratch, but due to the irregular shape, it does not appear to be from something rubbing the tire. I would like to send some pictures of the tire and see if you think this is a defect, or if it is something you have seen before.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The line you are referring to is a carbon black ribbon.  The purpose of this ribbon is to reduce static electricity build-up.  A static electricity charge can be felt at toll-booths, gas pumps, etc.

Great bike, by the way.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

Well the 2nd PR3 did much better with 7500miles on it and could have put 500 more on but dont like chancing it and also headed on a Smokey Mountain trip and didnt want to pay for a tire change to get home. Did more touring on this tire with Rocky Mountain trip from NC so that may have helped as the Smokies has a lot more twisties and we use a good abrasive asphalt in NC.

Mike :great:

I can get nearly 17000 miles on a set of PR2s and around 15,000 on the PR3s. I got just over 10,000 miles on both stockers on my past bike 08 c-14 and current bike 2010 c-14. I couldn't imagine only 5,000 miles on these tires. And I fly to and from work daily 160-200 miles round trip. I see cops and coast down to 80ish, so I can't understand it.

gnuse said:
DanL said:

Did notice the small line in my back tire as shown in Dan pic twice during the life of this tire.

Mike