• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Prioritizing Farkles

DanLong

Mini Bike
Say you had $1000 to spend on farkles. What would be your picks in priority?

I already got some risers. A windshield is definitely the next upgrade. What next? Something to protect the bags and fairings (based on the recent drop my bike experienced at the dealers, this is at the front of my mind)? A nice trunk? Aux lighting? A better seat?

I'd do:

1. Seat;
2. Windshield; and
3. Tip over protection (probably hold out for the Top Block).

Needs nothing else IMO.

My $.02

Stay cool, ride safe.

1. Seat - done, Spencer's Seat Mod
2. Bar risers - done
3. Windshield - done, CalSci
3. Frame Sliders - Project D maybe
4. Electonic Cruise Control

Hmmm, looks like frame sliders and cruise are looming...........

Gas......Lotsa gas...... :p

Butt really now. Anything that will increase your comfort and safety should be the first grand...... ;)

Windshield
Saddle
Bar Risers
Peg lowerers
Better grips
Electric grips
Running lights (FF50's work fine)
Brighter headlamp
Brake modulator

#1, lose that massive potato launcher ASAP...

#2, get a Corbin seat...

Then save up more $ for more farkles...

Interesting how high up the list the seat is. I haven't had any issues with the stocker so far, but the longest ride I've done was about 140 miles. I do like how that Corbin looks, and it's really not too expensive (compared to the Mustang my wife has on her Vulcan!)

I've had a keyboard for sale for a month or so (I'm a part time musician) and finally have a buyer. I was thinking of taking the $$ and throwing some of it at the bike. Windshield is definitely the 1st thing. A couple little things like some bar wedges. A seat was down on my list but I'm reconsidering that now.

I'm not sure about aftermarket exhaust. I like how quiet the bike is now, and I definitely don't want that weed whacker sound I hear on a lot of sport bikes.

Scott, for me, it's too short to give me the right coverage. At the bottom position it's great, wind in the face and chest, like riding without a shield. All the way up it's about 3" too low, maybe coming to the bottom of my chin. Lots of buffeting. If I duck my head down just a bit, it goes quiet and the buffeting stops, so I'm going to get a shield that's a few inches taller. My Vulcan had a huge shield and lowers and I got little wind noise and buffeting from it, and for long trips, I want the same on the Connie. I love the adjustable part though, because in summer, I rode mostly with my shield off on the Vulcan, so on the Connie leaving it down will be the same effect for me.

The stock windshield is really nice.  At least compared to my stocker on the GL1800.  But the Cee Bailey is a vast improvement.  The slightly forward angle and extra 2 inches makes for a really smooth air pocket, without obstructing my view.

But on a different topic - since this was mentioned above - am I the only person on this forum who thinks the potato launcher looks kinda cool on the Connie?  The smaller pipes are fine too...but I'm not offended by the big one.

texasdw said:
But on a different topic - since this was mentioned above - am I the only person on this forum who thinks the potato launcher looks kinda cool on the Connie?  The smaller pipes are fine too...but I'm not offended by the big one.

I am fine with the stock unit, can hardly see it under the side case.  If I rode without the cases, perhaps I would look for something else.  Perhaps not.  Already plenty of power, and makes noise when it should make noise, wide open.  Peaceful when cruising.  Plus, it catches the bike nicely, sort of when it dropped a couple weeks ago.....

I'm still negotiating a price for an '11 Connie but have been thinking about this very subject.

1) Magnetic drain plugs (I assume the Connie doesn't come with them?)
2) Fender extender
3) Radiator guard
4) Backrest/rack
5) Radar detector/Laser jammer

Then:
6) Black SS braided brake lines/HH brake pads
7) Exhaust
8 ) PCV or reflash
9) Windshield
10) Seat

DanL said:
Say you had $1000 to spend on farkles. What would be your picks in priority?

I already got some risers. A windshield is definitely the next upgrade. What next? Something to protect the bags and fairings (based on the recent drop my bike experienced at the dealers, this is at the front of my mind)? A nice trunk? Aux lighting? A better seat?

All Ergonomic Stuff - CRG Levers (or similar adjustable), Seat, Windscreen, BMW Grips, Kaoko Throttle Lock, Lower pegs or risers if needed.

Next Suspension for sure, although if I would probably respring/revalve the forks first as they are pretty non-compliant and punishing at best.

Noah

Regarding the big pipe...thanks Gary, my thoughts exactly!  The potato launcher does look goofy without the saddle bags, but with them, it fits.

Just like ZG, seat (Corbin heated) and new exhaust (Leo Vince slip on) were first. Wedges were next. All three excellent choices. LV isn't loud with the insert and cut a lot of weight. Looks SO much better.

Tech-spec tank pads, GPS, radar, and possibly a shield round out my list of things I want to add. A reflash and Corbin Smuggler if I ever hit the Lotto.

Here’s my priority list.

1. Stuff to tailor the bike to me like risers, wedges w/RAM ball for GPS, and lowering pegs… removed the pegs as they didn’t work for me
2. Stuff for protection like fender extender and radiator protector
3. Wiring for AUX and battery tender
4. Extra baggage starting with a Coocase V36 on Phil’s rack, then went for the medium motofizz camping bag (for errr camping), and then finally graduated to the massive GIVI E55 Tech (which really looks great on the Concours) and the GIVI bullet-proof mounting system for long trips (happy wife, happy life).  Fieldsheer Contour Tank bag (cheapo closeout but expands massive!) with strappage (KIPASS relays under tank cover hate magnets).
5. Upgraded windscreen to Cee Bailey Ultra Tour (got buffeting on the stock screen), now trying the Euro Tour (Ultra just too tall for my 6’ build).
6. After the last 1200 miler, now considering the Russell Day Long seat to pamper my wide butt.

Unfortunately my wife saw gman’s sidecar conversion and started talking about air conditioning… :rotflmao:

Mike G said:
4. Extra baggage starting with a Coocase V36 on Phil’s rack, then went for the medium motofizz camping bag (for errr camping), and then finally graduated to the massive GIVI E55 Tech (which really looks great on the Concours) and the GIVI bullet-proof mounting system for long trips (happy wife, happy life).  Fieldsheer Contour Tank bag (cheapo closeout but expands massive!) with strappage (KIPASS relays under tank cover hate magnets).

What do you mean the relays hate magnets?  ???

When using the magnet mounting for the tank bag, I'd get F1 errors (maybe it wasn't KIPASS).  Just under the plastic cover on the tank are relays (forgot which ones) that seem to be affected by magnets on the tank bag mount. 

I've had my 2010 since April and have put on 6500 miles. It took 3 months to get a Corbin seat, mistake to wait so long. Murph risers and phils wedges made a big difference. The large Kawisaki top bag was overpriced but essential for overnighters and the wife. As soon as it gets cold I need to get a winter windshield, I was very happy with Cee Baily on my c10 but what size should I get for my 6 foot frame on  this mount? Oh, And how do I explain to my wife that the ride needs a cruise control?

Mike G said:
When using the magnet mounting for the tank bag, I'd get F1 errors (maybe it wasn't KIPASS).  Just under the plastic cover on the tank are relays (forgot which ones) that seem to be affected by magnets on the tank bag mount.

Are you saying the magnets are giving you fuel injection errors? Why would the headlight relays give you an error on the fuel injection? Just curious.

Cap'n Bob said:
Mike G said:

Are you saying the magnets are giving you fuel injection errors? Why would the headlight relays give you an error on the fuel injection? Just curious.

Actually don't remember the exact error code, just knew that after I mounted this particular tank bag got I got errors and KIPASS wouldn't work.  I knew the magnets would affect the relays, just wasn't sure until I tried - panicked a bit at the result.  Immediately removed the that particular tankbag mag mount, change to the strap version (which actually works very well and bag is now on clearance at MC Superstore for $39) and it was back to normal.  Manual shows the KIPASS signal relay along with AUX and two headlamp relays in that grouping of four there in the front of the tank.  Maybe it's just me or the way I set it up, I checked the forums and couldn't find anyone who had the same issue... so probably just an isolated incident.

Hey anything is possible. If it fixed the problems for you, it does make sense. Maybe that's why they put the strap on hooks on the cover plate on the newer bikes. Maybe they feared magnetic interference?

Cap'n Bob said:
Hey anything is possible. If it fixed the problems for you, it does make sense. Maybe that's why they put the strap on hooks on the cover plate on the newer bikes. Maybe they feared magnetic interference?

Could be and yes those strap hooks work great for securing the strap version of the tank bag.

First of all, I think "farkle" is one of the dumbest words ever....I prefer accessories and/or mods myself.  ;D And I'd break that down into two categories - comfort related and electronic add on stuff I'd call accessories and performance stuff like exhausts, suspension, brakes I'd call mods. Potato, potah-to, I know.  ::)

Anyhow, prioity of accessories, I'd go with this:

1. seat - stocker is a weapon of ass-destruction
2. windscreen - stock is useless if you're on the tall side
3. bars - YMMV....most want to put in risers; myself, I'm looking to lower them and change the sweep angle

For mods, #1 is replace that heinous potato launcher....just because.  :043:

LOL, I had never heard farkle until I got on the ST sites. On the cruiser sites they are just called "mods".

The wind screen isn't too good if you are tall either, that's why it's next on my list. At it's top position it's 4" too short and beats the crap out of me. Even with ear plugs, my ears are still ringing
after a few hundred miles of riding over the weekend. (playing in a band doesn't help either, but the combo of both isn't good)

I broke out my air hawk for this weekend. While it makes the seat less of an issue, the increase in height practically negates the risers I installed. So, I'm probably going to get a Corbin.
I'll get some squawking from my wife, since she rode her Vulcan for a year before we got a Mustang seat for it, and I haven't done any 300 mile days yet, but why wait? So I do a 300 mile
day and realize I need a seat, or I just get one in anticipation!

I'm thinking of an exhaust too. I've never put an aftermarket exhaust on any bike I've owned. We did just put a Vance and Hines 2:1 pipe on my wifes Vulcan and it sounds nice, not too loud but if you
get on it, it barks. I don't want the weed whacker sound I hear on sport bikes, but something with a little more low end beef would be nice. I like a quiet bike.