• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ProHoist

OverCs

Big Wheel
Hello Cognoscenti, looking for a frugle way to tow my connie one time. (No I haven't gone over to the DARK SIDE). I am inheriting a small p/up truck with a cap top from my dad who is 400 miles away. I would like to ride there (or at least half way) and pull the connie back. I have seen a very frugal solution at: http://www.prohoists.com/Shopping.idc?ProductID=35 If some of you more learned and seasoned types would check it out and advise me if I am crazy (or not) and if I need to drop the shaft, add oil, etc. before towing my girl home it would be most appreciated. I'm thinking I could keep this piece around for a tow to the repair shop, rescuing a fellow biker, etc. BTW, I will be in the USA from July 30th to Aug 16th to attend the MSTA Nolichucky Vally Rally and then maybe the Moto Tourers Forum event in WV if anyone wants to ride together. Thanks as always for your help. Ron Campbell, Bermuda. COG #7702; AMA, MSTA "In a car you're watching a movie--on a bike, your starring in it." 1990/('99 powered) "Connie Marie"; 2006 VN1600 Classic(both kept on the BRP in Wilkes County, NC). 2003 Piaggio b125 (my Bermud-er commut-er)

Its a cool rig and seems easy to use but with a shaft drive bike it could be a hassle to remove the drive shaft every time you want to use it. If it were for a chain drive it would be much easier like the guy says in the ad. I think it would be fine for in town but I would be worried about the differential on a long run. Can you rent a car and drop it off in your fathers city, then drive the truck back? Two other things I just noticed, you can't backup while the bike is attached and I don't think I would be comfortable with 60-100lbs of tension on the handle bars. Its hard to read but go through the FAQ's

With strapping the front wheel and running tie down straps from the lower triple clamps (looks like what they did with the orange straps in the picture, how convenient the bike is a Connie) it looks like that would be enough. The ones on the handlebars are just extra measure but I would not trust them alone to hold the bike. Now, for the drive shaft removal? I would not worry about the differential, it is spinning all the time under power when we are riding, BUT, I'm not sure about the transmission free spinning with out the engine running to provide oil pressure. I would think things would be alright because if anything, more oil would pool in the tranny area,,,,maybe? The gears would not be under a load in neutral but I really don't know, there would be parts rotating driven by the driveshaft, and I'm not sure about the bevel gear area, if its feed oil under pressure only. It's been awhile since I've been into a Japanese 4 cyl tranny. Maybe one of our Tech ed's might chime in? That really looks like an intriguing idea, in fact I had a customer in my store today asking about one of these set-up's. I'm interested in one myself.

How in the world could you ever get a connie up that loading ramp and balanced long enough to get it tied down? Concept is neat but really needs some work. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I will say only this: I wouldn't touch it with a rubber chicken. Connie carries a lot of weight up high, as you know. I'd be concerned about lateral torque loads on the hitch. Most hitches aren't really designed for that, as the ball/hitch flexing removes the torque factor. Your hitch might take it OK. However, to remove the drive shaft on a Connie, you have to remove the swingarm. The front u-joint of the drive shaft won't pass through the swingarm tube. Pull the rear wheel, pull the shock assembly, pull the swingarm, pull the shaft, put it all back together sans shaft. Do you really want to go through that? I've done it when installing the "7th gear" bevel gear assembly mod, and it's not a parking-lot type job. With the shaft in place, the turning rear wheel/driveshaft combo will be turning the bevel gear and the output shaft of the tranny, which have bearings that require lubrication from the engine oil pump. Those bearings won't be getting any oil supply. Entirely up to you, but I wouldn't do it.

Thanks Coggers. I think your right in that even though they show a C-10 in the picture, this piece is really more suited for transporting your kids 125 motocrosser over to the off-road park