• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Quest 2 info needed!

krumgrinder

Street Cruiser
Didn't want to hijack the other thread, and anyhow I'm not thinking of buying, I have bought! :p Can anyone suggest any websites or info sources for using and programming GPS/Garmin/Quest 2??? I have used a Magellan a couple times in Hertz cars, but other than that am a rank newbie. Need to get up to speed on the device, also interested in any useful hacks/updates/upgrades. Also any user hints on downloading routes or data via the pc link would be great. Thanks for the consideration. :) Steve K. '02 Concours COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'

Steve, Did you get the CD that came with th unit? It has Mapsource software that you load on your PC then create you maps on there and download them to the unit. Only Garmin software will work with the unit. You can buy the newest version of the CD at nearly anywhere they sell Garmin's. Check to see what version of software its running by looking at the numbers and info on the screen when it starts up. It gives the date and version. I think version 9 is the newest. You can go to Garmins site if you don't have the user manual and download a PDF file of one for free. I've had one for almost 2 years now and I'm very happy with it. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Hey Norm, The unit should be arriving at my house today according to UPS tracking, so hoping the CD and all other ancillary items are with it. I did download the .pdf manual from Garmin's website so have that to look at; really was looking for tips/advice/links from GPS pros on getting up and running quickly and the least amount of fuss. Steve K. '02 Concours COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'

Here's my advice. And I just lost my GPS virginity last spring. Set it up as per the instructions, dealing with drivers, updates, unlock codes, any of that kind of stuff the enclosed instructions tell you to do. I know, it's contrary to masculine nature, but do it anyway. If it's a closeout of refurb item, I would suggest taking immediate advantage of any downloadable updates for the device. Then play with it immediately! Take your manual with you. I'll bet you find most functions to be intuitive, and use the manual for the rest. You'll end up with specific questions that someone experienced on your device can probably answer right away. Mike B / Gig Harbor, WA

Steve, Its really ready to go right out of the box. All the US,Canada and for some reason Puerto Rico, like you can driver there,is in the unit already. Hit find, tell it the address and off you go. Don't forget the set your "home" first. When you hold down the Find button it will go home automatically. Just play with the buttons and soon it will be easy. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Thanks fellas for the advice! Just got the unit yesterday, starting to set up, but have to wait until my internet access is restored to unlock, register and update. The wind storm of last Sunday really hit Cowlumbus hard- four days later and still large chunks of the city have no power, and of course cable will be awhile as well... but soon, soon... ;) Steve K. '02 Concours COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'