• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Question and Observation about this years National

ConcoursKZ

Sport Tourer
Made it home on Saturday. Had a Great Trip and met some new people and many from past years. However I noticed that a lot of riders were riding by themselves this year. In previous years groups averaging 6 were quite common and this year had more groups of 3 and less. I actually saw way more solitary riders than groups. Am I way off or did others notice this as well?

ConcoursKZ said:
Made it home on Saturday. Had a Great Trip and met some new people and many from past years. However I noticed that a lot of riders were riding by themselves this year. In previous years groups averaging 6 were quite common and this year had more groups of 3 and less. I actually saw way more solitary riders than groups. Am I way off or did others notice this as well?

Noticed that .....thought I saw you headed out alone Thursday.

I noticed many smaller groups as well -

Seemed to me nobody wanted to be the 'slow' one in a group. Especially those not accustomed to the endless curves and long stints between traffic lights, etc. I got one ride in and did it with only one other bike myself - but that was just due to timing.

Just a thought ....

I noticed several riding alone, but also talked to a few that prefer to ride alone. It's also very hard to get a very big group of compatible riders together. In my opinion 3 - 4 is a ideal number for a group. I did see more groups than I did solo riders though.

I want turn anybody away from a group ride. Thursday my group was approached for a ride with us, he was told sure no problem. He was also warned that it would hard & fast, he decided to back out.

I had a great time & wish I could have met many more than I did. It's just difficult with everyone being in several locations.

Cliff  :beerchug:

I rode the whole time by myself,  I was not asked to join any rides & am not the type to force myself on anyone. I'm not into big groups anyway but it would of been nice to ride with 3 or 4 other bikes.  The few groups I ran into while riding never asked if I wanted to tag along.  Maybe next time I will just take charge & plan a ride & ask a few people if they want to follow me.  :motonoises:

Zarticus said:
I rode the whole time by myself,  I was not asked to join any rides & am not the type to force myself on anyone. I'm not into big groups anyway but it would of been nice to ride with 3 or 4 other bikes.  The few groups I ran into while riding never asked if I wanted to tag along.  Maybe next time I will just take charge & plan a ride & ask a few people if they want to follow me.  :motonoises:

Was this your first National rally? If so that is the reason the First Timers Team idea was created. My first rally was 2009 in Canaan Valley and it was not a pleasant experience for me for the same reason. After that I got out there and made acquaintances. I used to be a follower now I want to lead rides most places I go. Sure wish I could have made it this year, I miss my COG family members.   

Zarticus said:
++1 count me in for that ride.
Doesn't have anything to do with first time attendance, this was my third national Johnson City, Cortez, and Helen. Never has anyone ask me if i wanted to tag along. I know many are going to say it's many own fault, but people cluster up into familiar groups and while very friendly are not prone to invite others into the fold. Just my 2 cents.

Robby1953 said:
Zarticus said:
Doesn't have anything to do with first time attendance, this was my third national Johnson City, Cortez, and Helen. Never has anyone ask me if i wanted to tag along. I know many are going to say it's many own fault, but people cluster up into familiar groups and while very friendly are not prone to invite others into the fold. Just my 2 cents.
Well if we both make the National next year we will have to ride together  :beerchug:

Zarticus said:
Robby1953 said:
Zarticus said:
Well if we both make the National next year we will have to ride together  :beerchug:

Reservations are made already!  Hope to see you there!
:beerchug:

Robby1953 said:
Zarticus said:

Hey Robbie,
Good to see you on the forum, but I remember taking you on a ride on the Snake. :great:
take care
rick

Tim,

We did have ride sheets (that were not utilized) and put together RTEs (that very few utilized) to try and encourage riders to meet and ride together. Unfortunately, there is a liability issue if we have any type of organized rides at our events, so every thing is informal.

I think one of my articles in the Concourier pointed out that we seem to be some what cliquish at these events. But many of were in the same boat but attended regional rallys or RTEs and have met and ridden with other riders. We tend to stick with known riders, it is not fun for either party if you are with riders that are faster or slower then you.

I hate to say it, but if you are a single rider, it is up to you to find a group to ride with. There were a couple opportunities to meet people at the early arrival and opening socials. But that does not excuse others from inviting you should they see your riding alone. It is a two way street.

So, my challenge to you, is to find a way to incorporate single riders into riding groups for next year's rally and present it to the 2017 Rally Leadership Team for consideration. This means you probably will end up heading it up, but that is what we are all about.  ;)

MotoCommuter said:
Tim,

We did have ride sheets (that were not utilized) and put together RTEs (that very few utilized) to try and encourage riders to meet and ride together. Unfortunately, there is a liability issue if we have any type of organized rides at our events, so every thing is informal.

I think one of my articles in the Concourier pointed out that we seem to be some what cliquish at these events. But many of were in the same boat but attended regional rallys or RTEs and have met and ridden with other riders. We tend to stick with known riders, it is not fun for either party if you are with riders that are faster or slower then you.

I hate to say it, but if you are a single rider, it is up to you to find a group to ride with. There were a couple opportunities to meet people at the early arrival and opening socials. But that does not excuse others from inviting you should they see your riding alone. It is a two way street.

So, my challenge to you, is to find a way to incorporate single riders into riding groups for next year's rally and present it to the 2017 Rally Leadership Team for consideration. This means you probably will end up heading it up, but that is what we are all about.  ;)

I agree with your post 100%. We have plenty of time to come up with a plan for 2017. I like to spend a day at the National riding by myself. However this year I noticed many single riders. This might have been the way they wanted to ride. Also as a pretty outgoing person I personally have not had issue finding a small group. Maybe a sign up sheet for groups looking for 1 or 2 riders to join up. With a route and riding style. Great way for existing members to meet new people. And new members to fit in.

old fart said:
Robby1953 said:
Zarticus said:

Hey Robbie,
Good to see you on the forum, but I remember taking you on a ride on the Snake. :great:
take care
rick

Hey Rick, Good tho hear from you again. On another bike yet? Yes we rode together on the snake with Birdman, Wayniac and Brad. But if you remember i signed up on a ride sheet that you had on the board, i was saying that no one had ever ask whether or not i would like to tag along.

MotoCommuter said:
Tim,

Moto you're right. I checked the ride sheets every day and there was only one ride ever written there which kept getting moved back because no one else signed up including me (wasn't a ride i wanted to go on), i understand it a slower rider might crimp some peoples fun, i was the slowest rider on the snake in Johnson city but Rick, Wayne, Andrew, and Brad took the time to instruct and demonstrate making me a better rider. I know I was a burden but they were a big part of the reason i came back to two more nationals and the spider ride last year. I guess it comes down to whether anyone wants to take that sort of commitment and bring others in or just stick with the groups you have and let others come and then drift away.  :??:

People keep saying that we can't have organized rides, but we did that for the adventure ride.  I'm not picking on Ken...I had a great time on it.  I'm just thinking that if we take the same approach for other rides, that should not cause waives.  Since my RTE idea did not work so well this year, I was thinking of other options.  One is to only have ONE RTE location each day rather than several in play.  perhaps people would form into groups naturally?  the other idea is to have some volunteers identified to lead rides, much like what Ken did.  it might be a fine line on liability, but we need to figure out how to get closer to it.

Sport Rider said:
People keep saying that we can't have organized rides, but we did that for the adventure ride.  I'm not picking on Ken...I had a great time on it.  I'm just thinking that if we take the same approach for other rides, that should not cause waives.  Since my RTE idea did not work so well this year, I was thinking of other options.  One is to only have ONE RTE location each day rather than several in play.  perhaps people would form into groups naturally?  the other idea is to have some volunteers identified to lead rides, much like what Ken did.  it might be a fine line on liability, but we need to figure out how to get closer to it.

Great idea, single location for RTE with departure location and time, other than that wouldn't really be an 'organized ride' would it?

Have we ever done "category rides" at a rally?  Group people by riding style for the day.  For examples; Stop & Smell the Roses - scenic rides with occasional stops 2 up, scenic rides solo, Casual - following the speed limit for the fun or riding 2 up, Casual rides solo, Bonzai - let's see how fast we can go and challenge ourselves.  Maybe folks would be more comfortable signing up if they knew the group was going to have similar objectives.  An RTE destination could be established for each one, and they could overlap to have more socializing of the groups.

that's definitely a consideration.  skill levels and riding interest varies.  the signup sheets had an area to mark the type/style of riding.

I totally agree with BackintheSaddle.  As a new COG member attending my first rally, I was not sure who to ride with.  I saw the sign up sheets when I checked in on Sunday, but was not sure what skill level would be needed.  I think most of the groups are hesitant to invite someone new because they are not sure of the riders skill level.  This is especially true to those groups who want to hit it hard.  I did go on several group rides and had a great time.  Also went on a few solo rides when I couldn't find a group heading in the direction I planned.  Just so many variables to figure out when it comes to riding groups. 

If you're sitting around a campfire or standing around at a social chatting with someone you've never met (which I hope all of you did at some point or other at this National), what's stopping you from asking, "Hey, where you riding tomorrow? Mind if I come along?"  Seriously, what's the worst thing that will happen? They tell you no?  I'll bet that MOST will say "Sure, be glad to have you." Plus they'll make accommodations for your riding style (even if it's simply waiting for you at the next turn. That's how I met one of my best friends, Eddie Minter. He came up to me and Lane Harrison and asked if he could ride with us. We all became very good (probably lifelong) friends from that day.  BTW, I'm still waiting for Eddie at the turns.  :rotflmao:

New COG member and first time National COG Rally.  Overall a disappointing time.  Many Honda Hoot and Rider Magazine rally's ago things seemed to happen easier, friendlier.  Today's politically correct events lack soul but abound in cliques.  Second, just try and imagine the "fun" getting lost in Northern Georgia with an inoperative GPS, 1:15,000,000 scale maps, and written directions to Helen of no value and that was just trying to get there! It went downhill from there. At least Robert at check-in showed me how to leave the rally for home easily. Oh yes, at check in on Tuesday morning Robert at check in suffered WiFi crap out with more than a half hour needed to get me checked in.  Missed the morning rides, of course. Unfortunately I had to leave on Thursday so my $90 bought me a wrist band, T-shirt and some ice cream.  Wow. Too bad. I rode solo throughout the time I had there. Still don't know where the 2017 version is.....likely less than 366 paying attendees will be there, I'd bet.

Ranger Jim said:
If you're sitting around a campfire or standing around at a social chatting with someone you've never met (which I hope all of you did at some point or other at this National), what's stopping you from asking, "Hey, where you riding tomorrow? Mind if I come along?"  Seriously, what's the worst thing that will happen? They tell you no?  I'll bet that MOST will say "Sure, be glad to have you." Plus they'll make accommodations for your riding style (even if it's simply waiting for you at the next turn. That's how I met one of my best friends, Eddie Minter. He came up to me and Lane Harrison and asked if he could ride with us. We all became very good (probably lifelong) friends from that day.  BTW, I'm still waiting for Eddie at the turns.  :rotflmao:

Why wouldn't it be "where you riding tomorrow, why don't you join us for a ride. We know the area and the rodes so you're welcome to tag along"  Why always expect the new guy to make the initiative.

Often it is "Why don't you join us for the ride." The point is don't be so scared to strike up the conservation.  First time rally attendees don't have some kind of big indicator that they're first timers and most of us are not really very good at reading minds. You have to accept the fact that we (experienced rally-goers) don't know what (or who) you don't know unless you CHOOSE to tell us.

A few rallies back, we tried to identify the First Timers with a colored ribbon on their credentials. A surprising number of them removed the ribbon saying they "didn't want to be singled out."  :-[

This seems to be a difficult point at most events.

The people I ride with now came to be my riding pals at local and regional events. Those events are a little lower key and are more frequent in nature. It was difficult to meet people and get together with others for rides at first, but all it took was to just ask. Even the seasoned riders find themselves wondering who they are going to ride with most of the time.

Did a ride on Friday, after all the dust from the departing crowd settled and I folded up my Rally Team shirt, and Scott asked if he could ride with us. We told him what our plans were and off we went. Had an epic ride...with Scott.

I do like the idea of categorically identifying rides by skill levels and intent. Good idea.

handyman said:
<snip>
I do like the idea of categorically identifying rides by skill levels and intent. Good idea.

Is there a universally understood set of parameters that would be used to establish said categories?

JD said:
New COG member and first time National COG Rally.  Overall a disappointing time.  Many Honda Hoot and Rider Magazine rally's ago things seemed to happen easier, friendlier.  Today's politically correct events lack soul but abound in cliques.  Second, just try and imagine the "fun" getting lost in Northern Georgia with an inoperative GPS, 1:15,000,000 scale maps, and written directions to Helen of no value and that was just trying to get there! It went downhill from there. At least Robert at check-in showed me how to leave the rally for home easily. Oh yes, at check in on Tuesday morning Robert at check in suffered WiFi crap out with more than a half hour needed to get me checked in.  Missed the morning rides, of course. Unfortunately I had to leave on Thursday so my $90 bought me a wrist band, T-shirt and some ice cream.  Wow. Too bad. I rode solo throughout the time I had there. Still don't know where the 2017 version is.....likely less than 366 paying attendees will be there, I'd bet.

JD,
I'm sorry to hear your experience was so bad.  I've not experienced some of the "big" rallies such as the Hoot or Rider magazine ones.  I'd love to get some ideas/suggestions from you so that we can help others in the future to avoid these types of problems.  Please PM me or if you'd like, post here any ideas.  I was in charge of first-timers, so this is near and dear to my heart.  I've already got some ideas for next year's improvements, but would love further input.

As for Robert's WIFI problem, it seemed to be off/on all week.  I'm not sure if it was on the local network end or the host.  I know they were trying to reference a good bit of data connecting to the COGMOS database.  We'll have to research that one more to see if we can improve it.

thanks for giving us a try, and I hope you take a little time to help make our club better!!!

Dave

Robby1953 said:
Why wouldn't it be "where you riding tomorrow, why don't you join us for a ride. We know the area and the rodes so you're welcome to tag along"  Why always expect the new guy to make the initiative.

Its a two way street, both sides need to take some responsibility. If your traveling by your self, you need to be a little more out going, be able to approach strangers and make friends. I think the majority of the COG'ers are very acceptance of that and will embrace you. As far as not inviting someone on a ride, there could be many reasons, like some have pointed out, riding style is a key, putting an unknown in a tightly knit riding group can do more harm then good.

David (Robby1953), I see that you are a NC member, as your region is in charge of the 2017 national rally, I'll be interested in how you will handle this issue. I'm assuming that you will volunteer and assist, yes?

The Honda Hoot hasn't been held for over a decade but when I went to the last one I did not observe ANY "organized" rides (other than manufacturer test rides). If there were other "organized" rides, I never saw the sign-in areas for them.

BTW, when I went to the Hoot, NO ONE sought me out and introduced themselves (the same is true when I attended the GWRRA Wing-Ding). Wing-Ding did have some organized (LED) rides but I didn't go on them because: (1) There were too many bikes (10 or more per group). (2) I didn't know (consequently I didn't trust) the riders.

In the case of the Hoot and the Wing-Ding, I was perfectly fine with riding alone. I knew that I could, if I chose to, find someone to ride with. I chose not to. I recognized that I, and I alone, am responsible for me enjoying myself.

Ranger Jim said:
The Honda Hoot hasn't been held for over a decade but when I went to the last one I did not observe ANY "organized" rides (other than manufacturer test rides). If there were other "organized" rides, I never saw the sign-in areas for them.

BTW, when I went to the Hoot, NO ONE sought me out and introduced themselves (the same is true when I attended the GWRRA Wing-Ding). Wing-Ding did have some organized (LED) rides but I didn't go on them because: (1) There were too many bikes (10 or more per group). (2) I didn't know (consequently I didn't trust) the riders.

In the case of the Hoot and the Wing-Ding, I was perfectly fine with riding alone. I knew that I could, if I chose to, find someone to ride with. I chose not to. I recognized that I, and I alone, am responsible for me enjoying myself.

I think we are missing the point. The National is a great event. I am sure it can be even better and grow if we address a few small challenges.

When I look at what Dave and his First-Timer's team did, I don't know what else to do.  I know that he absolutely "sweated the small stuff" and went well beyond what had been done at past rallies.  Ride sign-up sheets, RTEs (with give away swag), folks going around with big buttons on them saying "First Timer. Ask me." A special area at the registration area JUST for new attendees. The list goes on.

I really have to wonder if many of the new attendees have unrealistic expectations or have no understanding about how a COG rally is organized.

No rally organizer can "order" the old timers to get out and meet the new ones, take them on rides, etc. 

PLEASE.  Tell me what more we could've done.

I will say that all you First Timers should get involved with events happening in your region. Go on some RTEs, attend a tech/wrench session (even if you don't have any work to accomplish), attend a regional rally, etc.  Those are the places you will meet and get to know other riders.

FWIW This is what I do at all group rallies. I typically have my next day planned. During the evening before in the course of conversation. I am not shy and I do try to pick out the new people.  I plan on going to X and plan on leaving at such and such a time. What are you doing ? If the response is "I don't have plans" I tell them they are welcome to come along. I explain about how I ride and that I always wait at the corners so you can go as or slow as you want and I expect anybody who rides with me to follow that rule. If you want to go faster you are kind of out of luck. I know some people who have ridden with me will never do it again and some that seek me out to go along when I am at events.  Some are because I went to fast and some are because I went to slow.
To be honest I have never signed up one on of those group ride sheets at a national rally.  I guess I always have a plan and don't depend on others to lead me on a ride. I consider my rally fee is paying for the meals, the route sheets, and place to meet people who have similar interests. I guess it is about expectations. If you are coming to a national rally expecting to be lead on a group ride I expect you run a pretty good chance of being disappointed and that is what is being posted.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

I was one of the "lone riders" pretty much all week.  Why?  A couple reasons.  While I don't feel like I have to defend my choice, and I certainly won't be swayed by someone who thinks all riders should be in groups of three or four or more, I would like to explain.  I am the ONLY COG member in my town of about 60,000.  I have seen an '08 or '09 C14 in town on occasion but it has New York plates so I'm thinking it's from nearby Ft. Riley.  The local independent bike shop owner says there's a C10 in town, but "he must be 80 years old..."  So I ride alone at home.  And no, I will not join the legions of HD riders as they will only ostracize me and my choice of bike.  Trust me, I know this to be fact.  I gave up on the local "all brands welcome" bike club for this very reason.  Since I ride alone at home, it bothers me not one iota to ride alone at rallies. 

Another reason is simply this: all the roads in my area are straight as spaghetti noodles (um, uncooked...).  So that's what I know, and that's what my riding skills are honed on.  Boring?  Some would say that.  But I make my own fun.  Coming into Helen for the first time was, well, a bit intimidating.  There, I said it.  I have complete faith in my bike, especially on the PR4's.  What I don't trust so much is my own skill level.  I kept telling myself "stay in control, lean the bike, turn your head, stay out of the ditch and for God's sake DON'T CROSS THE CENTERLINE."  I don't mind telling you, it was mentally challenging and a bit physically exhausting.  And then I hit Main Street and saw nothing but cars and SUV's bumper to bumper as far as I could see.  Great.

So not being the most advanced rider for the types of roads that surround Helen, I was extremely reluctant to join others, let alone lead a ride in a completely unfamiliar area.  I didn't want to be the guy that everybody else had to wait for.  That's not fair, or fun.  I rode every day, in all directions, AT MY OWN PACE, and had a great time.  Counting the final run into Helen on Sunday, I rode the area five days straight, put about 460 miles on the bike in and around Helen, and was passed ONCE.  And I'm pretty sure that was by Dave Scott on our way to the RTE at Pappy's on Tuesday.  Yes, I was invited on rides several times by others but I politely declined for various reasons.  Nobody seemed offended.  I like riding my own ride, stopping when I need or want to, and having the freedom to punch "home" on the Garmin when I've had enough.

For the record, I like the idea of category rides.  And I don't think the RTE's should be abandoned because of low attendance.  There will be tons of places to RTE next year, in all directions from Rally Central, so let's at least give folks the option. 

Finally, I had a BLAST this year.  Having Dave Despain was icing on the cake. Cortez was a great time, too.  While my sample size is small, I defintely see an upward trend here.  Looking forward to next year!                       

I learned on my first COG local event that it is up to me to get from it what I want.  If you want this or that you do the planning and go get it. I planned my GPS routes.  I found attractions I wanted to see and I planned my fun.  I do ride alone or with Leslie but have lead rides and been in large parades.  I always like being alone.  Even 200 miles from life.  I do like having a Spot though. I should be more social but that is what the evenings are for.

This we tried before and may help.  Have a ride or two planned for each day that is lead by someone that knows the area.  You can provide sign up sheets but mainly have a set time and location for the riders to gather.  I  think that is part of what was missing this year.  No one knew where and when to meet up and riders were all over town.  The group ride does not have to be point by point planned, posted and required so should satisfy insurance concerns.

PS:  Ride to eats might work better if they were placed into ride routes.  So everyone that takes ride X and leaves at about 8am can meet at location Z for lunch.  It is marked on the route.  If you happen to be in the area you can join too.

As a first time National Rider, I liked the one up/ two up challenge on Tuesday.  We met a lot of riders at different places, and it was nice to be able to pace yourself for a ride early in the week.  On Wednesday I hooked up with a couple of riders for the Cherohala/Dragon/Moonshinners route at the Helendorf.  Thursday I wanted to ride in SC and go up to the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I asked around at the Helendorf but ended up riding solo.  I probably should have tried to set something up Wednesday night.  I think the key is to put yourself out there, and don't wait till the last minute to set something up.  Almost every road was a challenge to ride.  All in all it was a good experience. 

It should be easier to set things up next year since everyone will be more concentrated.

Ranger Jim said:
When I look at what Dave and his First-Timer's team did, I don't know what else to do.  I know that he absolutely "sweated the small stuff" and went well beyond what had been done at past rallies.  Ride sign-up sheets, RTEs (with give away swag), folks going around with big buttons on them saying "First Timer. Ask me." A special area at the registration area JUST for new attendees. The list goes on.

I really have to wonder if many of the new attendees have unrealistic expectations or have no understanding about how a COG rally is organized.

No rally organizer can "order" the old timers to get out and meet the new ones, take them on rides, etc. 

I will say that all you First Timers should get involved with events happening in your region. Go on some RTEs, attend a tech/wrench session (even if you don't have any work to accomplish), attend a regional rally, etc.  Those are the places you will meet and get to know other riders.

I'll comment on this, as Cortez was my first National, and Helen was my first volunteer experience.  I was a bit disappointed at Cortez, as I felt that the first-timers were largely left to fend for themselves.  As I recall, Sunday night (Monday night?) at the campground was supposed to be an opportunity for first-timers to meet AAD's and AD's, mingle and meet, and otherwise be welcomed.  None of that happened.  If not for Dave Scott and his wife Denise, who went out of their way to take me under their wing, I would have felt like a third wheel all week.  But I eventually did meet some good folks, largely through my own efforts though.  And still, I had a great time riding, attending seminars, and all the other stuff.  I rode home sorry that it was over.

Now, fast forward a year to Helen.  Dave had asked me months ago to help out with the first-timers table, which I agreed to.  You can't sit on the sidelines and complain, and then refuse to help make things better.  At least I can't.  Speaking from a volunteer's viewpoint, and comparing to my own first-time experience a year ago, I don't think Dave could have improved on much at all.  The magnitude of improvement to me was HUGE.  To me, he had all the bases covered.  The biggest and best thing, though, compared to Cortez, was having the first-timers table right around the corner from registration.  So simple, and yet so genius.   

Look, we're always going to get that certain percentage of people who will never be satisfied, who rarely visit the forum, or who don't get involved locally.  Whatever.  Like I said, I was a little underwhelmed in Cortez but not going to Helen never really entered my mind.  So yes, I think the expectations might be a little off for some.  But as RJ said, what more can be done?  Not much, IMO.       

Ranger Jim said:

Firstly….Kurt, Dave, Jim….just one first-timer’s opinion, but there was absolutely nothing the Rally Team could have done differently to make first-timers feel more welcome!  Here is why….

I am not discounting that some guys felt like they weren’t included in the groups rides, or felt on the outside looking in (that could just as easily been me), but as another first-timer to a National Rally, I had a completely different experience.  And let me first clarify by saying…I could have been in the right place at the right time ….it could have been that I was camping (and there always seemed to be someone leaving on a ride to somewhere)….it could be I’m friends with Fais  :rotflmao:…who knows.  I am not an over-friendly person, and as a first-timer, I didn’t expect that guys/gals were going to be jumping at the chance to ride with me.  Nobody, except Fais, knew anything about my riding skill, and I could understand why some would be hesitant.  Just like I was hesitant to ride with anyone I had never ridden with before.  We all know it’s a huge responsibility and I didn’t want to be a hazard to another rider and vice versa.  The point being is…I made up my mind on the way up to Helen that I was going to lay low the first day and do one or two routes by myself to get my feet wet.

That all changed when I stepped out of my tent first thing Monday morning.  It was either Phil or Bill that said….’we’re going up to ride the Dragon and Cherahola Skyway, let’s go’….and they were starting to gear-up.  I think they actually said…’do you want to go?, and although I had a lump in my throat, I sheepishly said ‘yes’ even though my brain wanted to say ‘no’.  I knew I was going to be out-skilled, out-experienced on roads I had never ridden, and out-ridden at every turn.  I was thinking to myself, WOW, my ‘Backyard Baptism’ is coming on the first day of the rally on the Dragon and CS with riders I have no business riding with…GREAT!  Again, this was not how I planned it.  After some deep breaths, I said I can do this.  I just kept reminding myself to ride my own ride, and I am grateful to Phil, Bill and Mark for letting me do that.  Even though it was hot (and not always safe to stop), they waited for me at every corner.  Because I got stuck behind a couple cagers, Phil (being lead) had to wait 35 minutes at one turn and never complained about it.  (Phil, I’m registered for RWTW and although I want to ride with you guys…I am putting all routes in my GPS….there will be no more waiting)

I was grateful they asked me and, in the end, I was very happy I said yes.  I finished the day in last place, but I didn’t fall down and discovered some important things.  Although it gave me confidence for the rest of the week, I realized I have a lot of work to do to become a better rider.

Another example…after rafting on Wednesday, I was tired and it was hot…I was riding 2-up and I knew I would feel more comfortable following someone that knew the route better than me.  I was a little reluctant at first to ask, but I knew Ted was heading back by himself.  Everyone was tired and I knew Ted probably didn’t want someone trailing him, but I decided to ask him anyway.  He couldn’t have been more gracious in saying ‘sure you can follow me’ and keeping it at a reasonable pace so I could keep him in sight.  He even waited several minutes while we finished gearing-up.  Thanks Ted, that was greatly appreciated. 
One more comment regarding the subject of COG being cliquish.  It’s nonsense!  16 and 17 year old girls in high school are cliquish!  Grown men that have belonged to COG for as many years as some of these guys, put in as many hours helping each other as these guys , have as many miles under them as these guys, and see each other sometimes only once a year (after even making it another year) is anything but a clique…..It’s a BROTHERHOOD.  I saw it first-hand last week.

Marty broke down and there was a team of guys getting his bike back to the campground.

Gary dislocated his shoulder rafting and there was immediate discussion about how to get him and his bike back home.

These are only two examples and I’m sure there are others I’m not aware of where COG members came together to help a fellow COGger and it didn’t matter who you were, or how long you’ve been around.

I was apprehensive about meeting folks I knew have been around a long time, but I did not meet one person on the COG leadership team, the Rally team, volunteers, or regular Members that were not extremely approachable, friendly, and thanked me for being there.

Great organization to be a part of!

Jim Snyder said:
Zarticus said:

Was this your first National rally? If so that is the reason the First Timers Team idea was created. My first rally was 2009 in Canaan Valley and it was not a pleasant experience for me for the same reason. After that I got out there and made acquaintances. I used to be a follower now I want to lead rides most places I go. Sure wish I could have made it this year, I miss my COG family members. 
Please don't take my post the wrong way, The 1st timers team was Awsome & did all they could of done. I ride a lot by myself anyway because I prefer too but will not wait for an invite at next years National, I will take the initiative .

Ranger Jim said:

I have attended local regional Rte's, The 20th anniversary Run with the wolf 2 years ago & a couple tech sessions so while this was my 1st National I've been active in Cog since I joined 3 1/2 years ago. I think some may be reading into this to deeply, The thread ask for Questions and Observation about this years National, I don't think anyone was complaining & were just stating their observations.  The first timers team did a great job & I felt very welcomed. Next year I will lead some rides & invite people myself  :beerchug: 

Zarticus said:
Ranger Jim said:

I have attended local regional Rte's, The 20th anniversary Run with the wolf 2 years ago & a couple tech sessions so while this was my 1st National I've been active in Cog since I joined 3 1/2 years ago. I think some may be reading into this to deeply, The thread ask for Questions and Observation about this years National, I don't think anyone was complaining & were just stating their observations.  The first timers team did a great job & I felt very welcomed. Next year I will lead some rides & invite people myself  :beerchug:

Agree 100%

MotoCommuter said:
Robby1953 said:

Its a two way street, both sides need to take some responsibility. If your traveling by your self, you need to be a little more out going, be able to approach strangers and make friends. I think the majority of the COG'ers are very acceptance of that and will embrace you. As far as not inviting someone on a ride, there could be many reasons, like some have pointed out, riding style is a key, putting an unknown in a tightly knit riding group can do more harm then good.

David (Robby1953), I see that you are a NC member, as your region is in charge of the 2017 national rally, I'll be interested in how you will handle this issue. I'm assuming that you will volunteer and assist, yes?
Moto; I've been as out going as an introvert such as i am can be at three national rallies and one spider ride i approach and talk to groups at each event and still looking for one group to invite me to tag along. I've made a number of friends that i look forward to seeing again. I've read a number of good ideas in this thread that can help group Riders by their preferred riding styles and hope tho formulate some positive options at the national in Missouri as well as the spider this September. I am only trying to identify opportunities for the club to be more inclusive of the new comers who might not be as outgoing as most of you others expect them to be. I see few youngsters at the events and realize we need to think of the future of the organization or watch it wither. I will pm Brian to see how i can help. Pm me with suggestions.

I've re read all my posts and don't want anyone to think i haven't enjoyed every experience I've shared with COG. I love the group everyone has been friendly and accepting of me and the wife. We will be back again and again. I just hope to share and make it easier for others to find that joy of being part of a great organization. I really love this group. Please understand. Thanks Dave.  :great:

Shawn said:
Firstly….Kurt, Dave, Jim….just one first-timer’s opinion, but there was absolutely nothing the Rally Team could have done differently to make first-timers feel more welcome!  Here is why….

I am not discounting that some guys felt like they weren’t included in the groups rides, or felt on the outside looking in (that could just as easily been me), but as another first-timer to a National Rally, I had a completely different experience.  And let me first clarify by saying…I could have been in the right place at the right time ….it could have been that I was camping (and there always seemed to be someone leaving on a ride to somewhere)….it could be I’m friends with Fais  :rotflmao:…who knows.  I am not an over-friendly person, and as a first-timer, I didn’t expect that guys/gals were going to be jumping at the chance to ride with me.  Nobody, except Fais, knew anything about my riding skill, and I could understand why some would be hesitant.  Just like I was hesitant to ride with anyone I had never ridden with before.  We all know it’s a huge responsibility and I didn’t want to be a hazard to another rider and vice versa.  The point being is…I made up my mind on the way up to Helen that I was going to lay low the first day and do one or two routes by myself to get my feet wet.

That all changed when I stepped out of my tent first thing Monday morning.  It was either Phil or Bill that said….’we’re going up to ride the Dragon and Cherahola Skyway, let’s go’….and they were starting to gear-up.  I think they actually said…’do you want to go?, and although I had a lump in my throat, I sheepishly said ‘yes’ even though my brain wanted to say ‘no’.  I knew I was going to be out-skilled, out-experienced on roads I had never ridden, and out-ridden at every turn.  I was thinking to myself, WOW, my ‘Backyard Baptism’ is coming on the first day of the rally on the Dragon and CS with riders I have no business riding with…GREAT!  Again, this was not how I planned it.  After some deep breaths, I said I can do this.  I just kept reminding myself to ride my own ride, and I am grateful to Phil, Bill and Mark for letting me do that.  Even though it was hot (and not always safe to stop), they waited for me at every corner.  Because I got stuck behind a couple cagers, Phil (being lead) had to wait 35 minutes at one turn and never complained about it.  (Phil, I’m registered for RWTW and although I want to ride with you guys…I am putting all routes in my GPS….there will be no more waiting)

I was grateful they asked me and, in the end, I was very happy I said yes.  I finished the day in last place, but I didn’t fall down and discovered some important things.  Although it gave me confidence for the rest of the week, I realized I have a lot of work to do to become a better rider.

Another example…after rafting on Wednesday, I was tired and it was hot…I was riding 2-up and I knew I would feel more comfortable following someone that knew the route better than me.  I was a little reluctant at first to ask, but I knew Ted was heading back by himself.  Everyone was tired and I knew Ted probably didn’t want someone trailing him, but I decided to ask him anyway.  He couldn’t have been more gracious in saying ‘sure you can follow me’ and keeping it at a reasonable pace so I could keep him in sight.  He even waited several minutes while we finished gearing-up.  Thanks Ted, that was greatly appreciated. 
One more comment regarding the subject of COG being cliquish.  It’s nonsense!  16 and 17 year old girls in high school are cliquish!  Grown men that have belonged to COG for as many years as some of these guys, put in as many hours helping each other as these guys , have as many miles under them as these guys, and see each other sometimes only once a year (after even making it another year) is anything but a clique…..It’s a BROTHERHOOD.  I saw it first-hand last week.

Marty broke down and there was a team of guys getting his bike back to the campground.

Gary dislocated his shoulder rafting and there was immediate discussion about how to get him and his bike back home.

These are only two examples and I’m sure there are others I’m not aware of where COG members came together to help a fellow COGger and it didn’t matter who you were, or how long you’ve been around.

I was apprehensive about meeting folks I knew have been around a long time, but I did not meet one person on the COG leadership team, the Rally team, volunteers, or regular Members that were not extremely approachable, friendly, and thanked me for being there.

I agree 100% with you Shawn.
Just don't have a clue how I missed meeting you there man :(
Maybe I was too busy riding  :motonoises:
Fixing the damn rear break :-[
and being flashed by Steve  :-\

Zarticus, quit yer whinin'. I was there for the whole rally, I know you need some riding lessons from me, but you never came to get them. See? there you go... you blew off a riding partner because you were scared. Now I know why you didn't show up...my feelers were hurt, but now I know why scaredy-cat :nananana: :nananana: :nananana: :nananana: :nananana: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Steve

ConnieUSA said:
Shawn said:

I agree 100% with you Shawn.
Just don't have a clue how I missed meeting you there man :(
Maybe I was too busy riding  :motonoises:
Fixing the damn rear break :-[
and being flashed by Steve  :-\

Yeah, Carlyson, I was bummed I missed meeting several guys...you being one of them.  My time management skills at my first national was awful...I wanted to get to a couple of the tech sessions, but missed out.  I will look to improve on that in MO.  Will you be at RWTW?

Other than the 2-Up and an RTE Thursday to discover that the restaurant wasn't open even though it was supposed to be (NOT the fault of the rally organizers!), I was pretty much a lone wolf all week. Some of that was by choice. Like TRM-KS commented (reply #36),
What I don't trust so much is my own skill level.  I kept telling myself "stay in control, lean the bike, turn your head, stay out of the ditch and for God's sake DON'T CROSS THE CENTERLINE."  I don't mind telling you, it was mentally challenging and a bit physically exhausting.
After far too much straight-line riding in Florida and a rough experience with a rented Vulcan Classic on the Dragon last year, I was concerned that I was going to really hold up anyone I tried to ride with, so I didn't actively seek out any groups. I probably wouldn't be comfortable with more than 2-3 others, anyway, so large groups would always be out.

Two other reasons contributed to not riding with others. My wife was along with me, and I was trying hard to make sure she had a good experience. She's got limited time riding pillion, has admitted she's not comfortable, and I was going to do everything I could to help her enjoy it even if it meant crawling around curves at idle speed (I didn't have to quite go that slowly). She was more relaxed and seemed to genuinely enjoy herself on the rides we took. The other reason was that I chose to stay at a different hotel than the recommended ones. I wasn't the only one at the Hampton, but it didn't prove conducive to meeting a lot of people and arranging to join a group.

I think the idea of having ways for riders who have similar styles and/or interests to connect at the event would help. If I could have found others not interested in peg dragging who wanted to get out for a 100 mile or so ride on Wednesday when my wife went hiking, I would have enjoyed the company. As it was, I had a good time on my own and could double back on GA528 after discovering it was a really fun ride for me. I didn't feel cheated by not having a true ride with a group, but it's an experience I would have liked to have had for my first National.

Shawn said:
Yeah, Carlyson, I was bummed I missed meeting several guys...you being one of them.  My time management skills at my first national was awful...I wanted to get to a couple of the tech sessions, but missed out.  I will look to improve on that in MO.  Will you be at RWTW?
Same here Shawn. I confess I was entranced by those roads and could not stop thinking about riding most of them. That combined with my 'anti-social skills' prevented me from meeting/interacting with more people at the rally. At least I know now how to improve and try to mingle a little bit more next time.

I will not be able to attend the RWTW this year. My wife and I are headed to a track day in October at Jennings GP. We haven't been on a track since she got pregnant almost 6 years ago. We can't wait to take her FZ there.
We are making plans for the next National however and hope to see you there.

MotoCommuter said:
Robby1953 said:

I can volunteer and assist sure: won't address the issue that's being talked about by some off the lone riders. The Ozarks aren't my home riding turf don't think I've ever been there so i don't have intimate knowledge of the roads or what would be a good route. I've been suggesting that those who do possess that knowledge offer others to tag along on a ride and be descriptive of their intended riding style. There is another thread with a similar theme maybe we can all get together and work something out for ourselves and set something up at next year's national :)

I for one felt welcome and had a lot of fun. I rode alone to get my rear tire replaced and I rode with a great group the next day. I had no problem meeting and talking to and eating with everyone I met.
  Oh yeah, maybe it is just me, because I am really good looking and my bike is really, really cool.  :))
  Seriously, there was nothing clicky going on that I noticed, just a lot of friends and strangers having a great time all because of owning, or having used to own a Concours.  It was a blast putting forum names to real faces. I thank everyone I met and the "Newcomers team" for all the help and fun.

It was so cool I am going to next years Nationals  :great: :great: :great:

P.S. Old timers are cool  :great:  :great:  :great:
PPSS. Newbies are cool  :great: :great: :great:
                                                                    Steve Sill  :motonoises:

I dragged THREE first-time National attendees on a ride-to-eat this year. I dredged them up from around the campfire the night before.  Everyone showed up at the right time ready to ride, so we went. Had a blast. (The Ride to Eat idea is great! Keep it up!)

When I was at my first National, I was actively invited to accompany different folks on some rides. If I didn't have anybody to ride with, I moped around at Rally Central and talked to everybody around me till I found riders about to leave who didn't mind if I tagged along. Heck I still do that.

Lots of us riders are Lone Wolves, or at least we think we are. But riding at a rally is also a social activity and you gotta put yourself out there and get noticed, ask for attention, let it be known that you're new and wanting some company. This might feel like you're making yourself vulnerable, and it won't always work perfectly, but around COG it will usually get you a new riding buddy. Or three.

:great:

This is more of an observation of small group riding and inclusion in to an unknown group of riders. In 2015 the NW/SW Region held a rally in my home town and I made myself available to the rally organizers to help in any way I could. There were rides mapped out, all in areas that I had ridden previously. One route was of interest to two riders from out of the area and one rider who was new to the area. Two riders were asking me about the route they wanted to take and in the course of the conversation asked me to lead the ride. The third rider asked if he could join also. We agreed on a starting time and all was set.
Now, I'm not a peg scraper,but I've been known to ride fast. The two NW riders were very skilled riders and I knew that, so I detailed where the turns would be and landmarks to look for so that if they wanted to ride faster they could. I also gave them gas stops and milages, point to point, along the route. The third rider was content to follow me.
When the ride was over, every one commented on having a good ride. Did the faster riders go on ahead? YUP! But we all ended up at the same place and they didn't have to wait very long for the other two.

Volunteering to help or lead a ride isn't all that difficult. Talking to other riders at a rally shouldn't be that difficult either. You're all there for the same reason. It's not like you drove up in a dump truck to a motorcycle rally. And being an extrovert, I don't have a problem introducing myself or talking to strangers. But I can understand those who are introverts who struggle with introductions or face to face contact.
Riding styles differ, but with a little planning can be overcome. The NW/SW Regional Rally was my first; I've ridden the Cortez area several times; the upcoming Cedar City Rally is another area I've ridden a few times. I didn't make either of those two rides, but I know the folks had/ will have a good time.

Take a deep breath, step up and ask," where are you riding today?". You never know, You may just be meeting life long friends.

Bob Young
COG #5753

If you are a COG Member and have been to any National and you step back and look it is not difficult to pick out the first timers or people who do not know other members. Also while I have never met a rude member. I have talked to several that can be pretty hard nuts to crack. C14 riders are way more approachable than C10 owners.  :) :) :)

ConcoursKZ said:
C14 riders are way more approachable than C10 owners.  :) :) :)

Dang dude. You didn't just step in it, you jumped up and down all over it! Look what you've started!  :beerchug:

Fais said:
New award idea for next year: Oldest C14 rider :rotflmao: :D

New award for next year?
Biggest Cry Baby!
Geeze oh man.
It's not a high school dance.
Jason
COG #32

coffee_brake said:
I dragged THREE first-time National attendees on a ride-to-eat this year. I dredged them up from around the campfire the night before.  Everyone showed up at the right time ready to ride, so we went. Had a blast. (The Ride to Eat idea is great! Keep it up!)

When I was at my first National, I was actively invited to accompany different folks on some rides. If I didn't have anybody to ride with, I moped around at Rally Central and talked to everybody around me till I found riders about to leave who didn't mind if I tagged along. Heck I still do that.

Lots of us riders are Lone Wolves, or at least we think we are. But riding at a rally is also a social activity and you gotta put yourself out there and get noticed, ask for attention, let it be known that you're new and wanting some company. This might feel like you're making yourself vulnerable, and it won't always work perfectly, but around COG it will usually get you a new riding buddy. Or three.
Nice meeting you in Helen CB. The info you gave Chuck and I about riding the Dragon was Spot on and very much appreciated. Hope your neck feels better! 

4Bikes said:
Nice meeting you in Helen CB. The info you gave Chuck and I about riding the Dragon was Spot on and very much appreciated. Hope your neck feels better!

Oh yeah that's been fine days ago. I'm so glad y'all had a good run on the Dragon!

shawn, still have the routes loaded in the gps, should be at RWTW.    we will figure how to pair the senas and go from there.

Robby1953 said:
old fart said:
Robby1953 said:
Zarticus said:

Hey Robbie,
take care
rick

Hey Rick, Good tho hear from you again. On another bike yet? Yes we rode together on the snake with Birdman, Wayniac and Brad. But if you remember i signed up on a ride sheet that you had on the board, i was saying that no one had ever ask whether or not i would like to tag along.

Yep Robbie I got a 2014 last year. So far have just ridden to Outer Banks. I was a little hesitant to sign up for the ride cause I didn't know anyone, but it worked out and we had a great ride!!

Max said:
shawn, still have the routes loaded in the gps, should be at RWTW.    we will figure how to pair the senas and go from there.

Awesome Max, I was hopin you'd be at RWTW.  Let's pair, ride, and learn (at least me :)))!

As usual had a great time at the rally and wanted to make one suggestion about the ride to eats (which was a GREAT idea)deffinitely make it one location and also on a route to ride as someone else here suggested,Dave went all out to find good places to chow down only to be derailed at the last minute by certain places saying they would be open and then saying at the last minute that they wouldn't be :( :( :( also met some new folks around the campfire but never asked them if they wanted to ride together because of the usual excuses of mine like I don't want to slow other people down and I just don't feel comfortable riding in groups(bad habit of not riding my own ride :-[) I'm not a big technical rider but I love to ride. Met some new great people and will be at RWTW and maybe ride with some others and maybe not but I'll still have a great time as I'm sure yall did.Was great meeting for the first time Will,Charlie,McFly,Sharon&Scott,Mary Vodo and Yonesh,Brenda&Mike,Shawn and ? (brain fart :-[ )Steve(not a florida steve)Nancy,Anna&? (dangit did it again) gotta go.
                                                                            Roger

mf-rabbit said:
As usual had a great time at the rally and wanted to make one suggestion about the ride to eats (which was a GREAT idea)deffinitely make it one location and also on a route to ride as someone else here suggested,Dave went all out to find good places to chow down only to be derailed at the last minute by certain places saying they would be open and then saying at the last minute that they wouldn't be :( :( :( also met some new folks around the campfire but never asked them if they wanted to ride together because of the usual excuses of mine like I don't want to slow other people down and I just don't feel comfortable riding in groups(bad habit of not riding my own ride :-[) I'm not a big technical rider but I love to ride. Met some new great people and will be at RWTW and maybe ride with some others and maybe not but I'll still have a great time as I'm sure yall did.Was great meeting for the first time Will,Charlie,McFly,Sharon&Scott,Mary Vodo and Yonesh,Brenda&Mike,Shawn and ? (brain fart :-[ )Steve(not a florida steve)Nancy,Anna&? (dangit did it again) gotta go.
                                                                            Roger

Roger, it was great to meet you as well.  I'm happy to hear you'll be at RWTW.  Although I learned a ton by observing them, I was a little over my head riding with Phil, Bill, Max, Fais, etc., so we'll definately have to get out and take a ride together.  BTW, I was never a big fan of group riding, but I am slowly changing my mind about that based on what I learned and the feedback I got.

Hey Shawn, I have a couple of admissions.
1) I was glad you rode with me.
2) I didn't know the way back.
3) I didn't want to be lost all by myself!

Thank GOD for GPS!!

fyi {for yall's information} ; I was the "Newbie Wrangler" at a previous National.
                                                                (we recognized the inclusion of First Timers as a concern)
    Since then, I think we've had a designated First Timer Leader at all recent nationals.
      "Dave/Sport Rider" choose to take that job this year. {Thank you Dave}
    COG has worked to find ways to better include the Newbies First Timers.
      Idea's have been discussed and various things tried.
        Clearly we still don't have a solution.

This is a very good discussion.
        Everyone; Keep the idea's flowing.
            Help us find a solution.

Ok; Here is a suggestion to bash around.
  Help me improve it...

At the next National, lets have a designated gathering area (for single riders that want someone to ride with)
  *) Single riders will be able to meet other single riders. (and form groups)
  *) Groups riding out can be told to look "there" for folks there as they roll out.

If we do this we would need to determine ways to;
        Discuss the expected pace and route/planned miles prior to joining a group.
        EVERYONE ride their own ride.
        Agree that the group will not leave the route until "all" riders see the turn.
        Agree that the new guy would not leave the group until the group knows he is going another route.
        Everyone; Read "The Pace"

NOTE: This would not be a led ride.
          It would be a ride in which everyone 'just' happens to be going to the same place.

Thoughts??

Ride safe, Ted

NOTE: Newbies are not "only" new members to the club.
              Many COGgers have never been to a COG National.
              Some folks at the national are not COG Members.
              The term newbies/Rookies/FNG/etc includes all folks that are at their first COG National.
                (But some don't like the Title)
      Maybe, one of the things we need to discuss is a better name.
      I think "First Timers" covers everyone, and doesn't sound negative.

PS: During this discussion; No one argue. Let's discuss!
      But, (one rule) we should "MUST" continue to pick on Dave/Sport Rider so that he feels included.. <evil grin>

Good ideas Ted. Wow!! 

How about on the first night a quick gathering (social) of the First Timers with one or two locals in attendance for welcome, etc.
First full day- have a breakfast for the  First Timers to get things kicked off with a welcome, and orientation to the rally briefing. Have a a representative from each area in attendance with some printed cards with their cell phone number for the first timers from their area to get them hooked up early.  Maybe get and "Opt In" sign up with phone numbers. When people begin to scatter, it's hard to 'run into' someone you saw or met earlier if you don't have contact info.

Second day- start the RTE's.

Third day - RTE's

Banquet night (I liked the organized seating by area this year, but make sure the First Timers are given a big shout out/hand for hanging in there.

How about several regular members that have attended multiple Nationals form groups of 4 members. Place there names on a list with a time and route leaving room for two additional riders to sign up. This would make a 6 rider group. The members looking for a ride could just sign up and meet 4 new people. If members did this for just one day at the National the inconvenience of breaking away from their normal group would be minor as they would still have a few days to ride with them.

ConcoursKZ said:
How about several regular members that have attended multiple Nationals form groups of 4 members. Place there names on a list with a time and route leaving room for two additional riders to sign up. This would make a 6 rider group. The members looking for a ride could just sign up and meet 4 new people. If members did this for just one day at the National the inconvenience of breaking away from their normal group would be minor as they would still have a few days to ride with them.

Not saying it is a bad idea...
It has been tried and was only marginally successful.
  (Not many volunteered to be ride leaders).

Other things we tried;
Had a place where folks could "post" that they were heading out to XXX place.
  (Also only marginally successful).
We had Newbie meetings for New Folks to gather and get to know one another.
  (Helped new riders meet, but older riders didn't attend).
First Timer Ribbons were passed out.
    (People removed ribbons as they didn't want to be thought of as newbies)

All idea's have helped, but (as you can see from the start of this discussion) we still need a better solution.

So I had the mic many times during Helen and not once was I able to communicate with everyone. The sign up sheets were there. The newbie meet and greets were there. There is just a lot going on when someone has just ridden a bike for many hours or trailered in for many hours, to an event they've been excited about for a long time. You envision the week one way. But it turns out you spend 90% of your time with whoever is standing in front of you or parked next to you or standing in the parking lot when you park, etc. Once you arrive it is hard to stick to any schedule and just enjoy seeing cool bikes, hearing many new names, being in the moment and knowing there are 100 moments happening at various hotels, restaurants or at camp all around at the same time. The week just goes by from one thing to the next. What this leads me to truly believe is:

There have to be group rides. We amass multiple ride leaders and post a time and route. Groups can be limited to 4-5 bikes and separated by the desire to take it easy or desire to hit it hard. The end. If I was a ride leader I'd ride my ride and hope nobody was following me to closely and I'd not make a turn without waiting for the bike behind me. This is simple and I want to learn what we need to do to just post group rides for geared up sober people who have made it this far in life riding motorcycles.

connie_rider said:
ConcoursKZ said:

Not saying it is a bad idea...
It has been tried and was only marginally successful.
  (Not many volunteered to be ride leaders).

Other things we tried;
Had a place where folks could "post" that they were heading out to XXX place.
  (Also only marginally successful).
We had Newbie meetings for New Folks to gather and get to know one another.
  (Helped new riders meet, but older riders didn't attend).
First Timer Ribbons were passed out.
    (People removed ribbons as they didn't want to be thought of as newbies)

All idea's have helped, but (as you can see from the start of this discussion) we still need a better solution.

Sounds good Ted...
Here's a better option... and I know it works....

"New" attendees run to the nearest high end beer store, and buy the most expensive awesome beer they can afford.. and don't even think about Coors Light...

Then, walk around the groups sittin in front of rally central... look carefully....
Find the "core" groups of like 3-4 old crusty mean and onery bastiches you can find, and I mean ones that have a permanent scowl on their face, you'll know them because they hunch over,nsittin in a kermit chair, talking in low tones to each other... then guffaw raucously...

Kinda like Arlo described the "Group W bench". Don't make me explain that to ya... ask Alice...
They will be wearing some obscure COG shirt,nfrom a time you were in diapers... and also, wearing shorts, sporting a 4 week growth of white beard, smell somewhat "gamey", oh, and look at the feet... they will be wearing full high boots, scarred and duct taped, along with white socks, that come 4" above their boots... its a fashion statement folks... live it....

Then when you find the onery ones, the ones that when you walk past them, the immediatly stop talking and just look at ya, and smile, holding that good beer.... and as sonn as you pass you hear them resume the convo... turn around, plop down in front of them, and say "hay, mey name is( insert name here, no dummy insert your name) and hand a beer to one of them... he won't need an opener, and he will show you 5 ways to open a beer bottle... then.... grasshopper, you will be well on your way to geting some fun... just beware, and don't drop the soap.... :great: :great: :beerchug:

After readi Fais last post, I'll add...
I NEVER ride and drink,  have in the far distant past, but adhere to the new policy...
Party heart at rally central.. just don't mess up on the road.

Also, when folks accept you and invite you to ride with them, keep at least a hundred feet between yo, and their rear end.. or ride alone.
Never pass someone up thinking you are a better rider... they may have just ridden the stretch of road prior, and know their are hazards.. aven if not, trust that person... and if they are dissapearing down the road, relax, ride at your pace, the person up front will always make sure the person behind is gisible before he does anturn, and each person in that line has a responsibility to do the sam..m it doesn't mean aeveryone bunches up at a corner, and rides en masse , just the last person has to hang...

Its all about riding your ride, behind and between others doing the same..

Holy Crap MOB I had boots on with white socks stickin out the top and I have a long white(goatee) its like you were there watchin me or your psycho--psychic---which one of those is it??? :-\

Roger

connie_rider said:
Hey Shawn, I have a couple of admissions.
1) I was glad you rode with me.
2) I didn't know the way back.
3) I didn't want to be lost all by myself!

Thank GOD for GPS!!

fyi {for yall's information} ; I was the "Newbie Wrangler" at a previous National.
                                                                (we recognized the inclusion of First Timers as a concern)
    Since then, I think we've had a designated First Timer Leader at all recent nationals.
      "Dave/Sport Rider" choose to take that job this year. {Thank you Dave}
    COG has worked to find ways to better include the Newbies First Timers.
      Idea's have been discussed and various things tried.
        Clearly we still don't have a solution.

This is a very good discussion.
        Everyone; Keep the idea's flowing.
            Help us find a solution.

Ok; Here is a suggestion to bash around.
  Help me improve it...

At the next National, lets have a designated gathering area (for single riders that want someone to ride with)
  *) Groups riding out can be told to look "there" for folks there as they roll out.

If we do this we would need to determine ways to;
        Discuss the expected pace and route/planned miles prior to joining a group.
        EVERYONE ride their own ride.
        Agree that the group will not leave the route until "all" riders see the turn.
        Agree that the new guy would not leave the group until the group knows he is going another route.
        Everyone; Read "The Pace"

NOTE: This would not be a led ride.
          It would be a ride in which everyone 'just' happens to be going to the same place.

Thoughts??

Ride safe, Ted

NOTE: Newbies are not "only" new members to the club.
              Many COGgers have never been to a COG National.
              Some folks at the national are not COG Members.
              The term newbies/Rookies/FNG/etc includes all folks that are at their first COG National.
                (But some don't like the Title)
      Maybe, one of the things we need to discuss is a better name.
      I think "First Timers" covers everyone, and doesn't sound negative.

PS: During this discussion; No one argue. Let's discuss!
      But, (one rule) we should "MUST" continue to pick on Dave/Sport Rider so that he feels included.. <evil grin>

C'mon Ted...you're lyin like a rug! :))

I have an admission too...if it hadn't been for a late-night blown fuse on tuesday that knocked out my GPS...I would have been fine riding back by myself....I was just looking for an excuse to ride with one of the Legends of COG.  ;)

Seriously, the point was that anyone I talked to during my first national was cordial, helpful, and very approachable.  Great experience and I hope to see all you guys/gals at future rallies.

Some great ideas for first-timers!  :great:

Fais said:
So I had the mic many times during Helen and not once was I able to communicate with everyone. The sign up sheets were there. The newbie meet and greets were there. There is just a lot going on when someone has just ridden a bike for many hours or trailered in for many hours, to an event they've been excited about for a long time. You envision the week one way. But it turns out you spend 90% of your time with whoever is standing in front of you or parked next to you or standing in the parking lot when you park, etc. Once you arrive it is hard to stick to any schedule and just enjoy seeing cool bikes, hearing many new names, being in the moment and knowing there are 100 moments happening at various hotels, restaurants or at camp all around at the same time. The week just goes by from one thing to the next. What this leads me to truly believe is:

There have to be group rides. We amass multiple ride leaders and post a time and route. Groups can be limited to 4-5 bikes and separated by the desire to take it easy or desire to hit it hard. The end. If I was a ride leader I'd ride my ride and hope nobody was following me to closely and I'd not make a turn without waiting for the bike behind me. This is simple and I want to learn what we need to do to just post group rides for geared up sober people who have made it this far in life riding motorcycles.

+1....I've already mentioned that my time management skills for my first National were horrible.  I missed the tech sessions and a couple other things....but then realized that going with the flow was the least stressful way to get through the week and still have fun.

[size=14pt]I do want to say that anyone that is considering camping....give it a try! [/size] I think my decision to camp with Al, Fais and all the great camping folks...the bonfires....the camaraderie....Fais' breakfasts, etc. was the highlight of my week.

Can't say enough about Bill, Phil and Mark showing me the camping and riding ropes.

Will - thanks for the first-aid kit so my big toe didn't bleed-out on that drain pipe.  (this was a non-alcohol related incident). :mad:

Quote from Connie_rider:

" at the next National, lets have a designated gathering area (for single riders that want someone to ride with)
  *) Groups riding out can be told to look "there" for folks there as they roll out."

That's a good idea to get single riders together, would be really great if people experienced with the area would be available to advise on routes to take even if they didn't lead they could share valuable information for those who've never been in the area before.

connie_rider said:

Ted....what about married riders?????  😁

Sport Rider said:
connie_rider said:

Ted's new business venture....  'Farmers Coggers Only .com'

Some young (or not so) E entrepreneur should be all over this idea. Wait, here she comes, shhhhhhhhhhh yeah I like my beer with a twist top. Them pry off tops are just a pain in the a$$.

Sport Rider said:
connie_rider said:

(Ok,,,, smarty eleck)    Guess I'll havta 'splain myself.  :-[
      When I sed single riders, I wuz referring to 1 motorcyclist (with or without so-rider) that wanted to ride with a group.

Now quit being a smarty eleck, and help me figure out a way to make the idea work.

Ride safe, Ted

We just need volunteers to be designated ride organizers.  The daily rte idea would help facilitate it too.  But two up riders would also be welcome on my rides.  I'm not biased toward single riders like you are.  👅

Sport Rider said:
We just need volunteers to be designated ride organizers.  The daily rte idea would help facilitate it too.  But two up riders would also be welcome on my rides.  I'm not biased toward single riders like you are.  👅

He means single bike Dave🏍 1-up or 2-up

- and you are right about ride organizers.

But-

One of the mantras of COG is 'we don't do group rides' but we encourage people to meet up and ride in secret groups(?) First we have to get to 'we do group rides' so that they happen and so that they might be organized and safe. Combine RTEs with route sheets and routes posted weeks in advance - (We Have That) - we just 'don't do group rides'.

Fais said:
One of the mantras of COG is 'we don't do group rides' but we encourage people to meet up and ride in secret groups(?)
I'm not going to speak for management, but I've been around long enough to understand the intent of that statement, however poorly expressed.

The idea is not to do an official, club officer lead ride, like HOG or GWRRA does. No Road Captain, no Sgt at Arms to enforce the rules of the ride, etc, etc. Why? Simple - liability. Does that mean that there won't be group rides? No. But then what defines a group ride? 5 people? 10? 20? 100?

Get over this need to have organized rides at rally's. If you feel the need for a large group ride, step up and offer to lead riders to someplace. Have the details posted in a common area.

Personally I don't do big group rides. But I also have been the first to put my name and route up on the board at rallys. Sometimes I only get three people, other times a dozen. But never a complaint.

:agree:We do not need to do "official" group rides.

I've lead several "informal, unofficial" rides; led one this past national from Rally Central to the rafting company's HQ. Consisted of 7 bikes (the maximum that should be in a group, IMO). It was put together like this: "COG doesn't do 'official' group rides. I'm leaving at 0700 if you want to follow me."  I set a sensible pace, waited at turns and got everyone there by the appropriate time.

I've been to 10-11 National rallies, the Spider Ride (twice), innumerable regional rallies and I have NEVER felt the need to be led around. I ask "What are some cool roads? Where are some interesting sights?" I've never found it that someone wasn't willing to give me some directions (Tony Konnen is an incredible source, BTW), or use a route sheet  and a map. For me and Cindy, that's part of the fun and challenge of going to a new place. We can ride at our pace, stop when we want, eat where we choose, etc. Leading (or riding) a group of strangers is nerve-wracking and can become an equivalent to herding cats.

Guess I'm too much of an individualist. :??:

Fais said:
Sport Rider said:

He means single bike Dave🏍 1-up or 2-up

- and you are right about ride organizers.

But-

One of the mantras of COG is 'we don't do group rides' but we encourage people to meet up and ride in secret groups(?) First we have to get to 'we do group rides' so that they happen and so that they might be organized and safe. Combine RTEs with route sheets and routes posted weeks in advance - (We Have That) - we just 'don't do group rides'.

I know, but I gotta give Ted a hard time!  :nananana:

I keep going back to the example of Ken organizing a dual sport ride.  we need to do the same for others.  Nothing "official" with formal rules, as Jim said.

Hey Dave,,,, pttttttt  :p
    :nananana:

I think we're in agreement; we can't officially do group rides,
                                        we can unofficially post a Ride at Rally Central and say
                                        "does anyone want to go with me"?

"Now", answer my question.
  Would a staging area work as a place for the single bikes to gather and join groups as they leave?
  (ie; would the groups stop and ask them to join)?
  Help me work out details and I'll ask (the Rally Team) to arrange that gathering area at the next National.

NOTE: At Military bases there is a spot near the main gate with a sign; "Give your Buddy a Ride" or "Share a ride"
          Was common to stop and give someone a ride to town/etc.

I'm thinking of this as the same sort of idea.
Would it work?
  If yes, offer detail's/suggestions.
  If no; Why not and offer detail's/suggestions.

Ride safe, Ted