• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Question for those who installed Rostra Cruise

flashback50

How have most of you installed the controller for your Rostra? (On the bars I mean) Is there  a bracket available for mounting on the left bar?

Thanks

I'm not able to answer your question, but I had previously installed the CS100 cruise (similar to Rosta) on my old  Honda ST1100, and was able to use the cruise controller for a same year Goldwing.  It made the whole project turn out really nice.  Has anyone done anything like that with any Kawi parts?  I never liked the controller that comes with the Rosta Cruise, but want to add cruise to my bike.

I purchased the right hand SS mount from Murph, but beginning to think that mounting the CC controller on the left handlebar, makes WAY more sense ergonomically.

Hoping to tackle the Rostra install process in the coming weeks of winter....although, it looks to be shaping-up
to be a very mild winter, so time may be tighter than expected!

gr

C14lvr said:
Murph sells a nice one. That's what I always do, when I buy my kits from him.

Thanks,
I looked at Murph's mount but it looks like it won't work with a 2010 and up with heated grips. The screw it attaches to is covered by the heated grip wire guard on the right side.

ghostrider990 said:
I purchased the right hand SS mount from Murph, but beginning to think that mounting the CC controller on the left handlebar, makes WAY more sense ergonomically.

Hoping to tackle the Rostra install process in the coming weeks of winter....although, it looks to be shaping-up
to be a very mild winter, so time may be tighter than expected!

gr

Hey GR what year bike do you have? It looks to me like the Murph's mount won't work with bikes with heated grips because of the way it attaches. But maybe I'm mistaken.

flashback50 said:
C14lvr said:
Murph sells a nice one. That's what I always do, when I buy my kits from him.

Thanks,
I looked at Murph's mount but it looks like it won't work with a 2010 and up with heated grips. The screw it attaches to is covered by the heated grip wire guard on the right side.

That's why I mounted mine on the left hand side on my 2011.
Plus, it makes it far better to set the cruise with the left hand while holding the throttle steady with the right.

If you install it on the left it works fine with heated grips. Does not work on the right side, due to the metal cover that goes over the moving wire for the grip heater.

I used Murphs mount on the left side, Attached it to the top bolt holding the clutch lever/Master cylinder to the bar  :beerchug:

I put the mount on the right side on my '10 C14. Don't relate to the problem mentioned above, as I had no trouble mounting it there. I like it on the right as I can engage, disengage, speed up and slow down with my throttle hand without letting go of the throttle.

Zarticus said:
I used Murphs mount on the left side, Attached it to the top bolt holding the clutch lever/Master cylinder to the bar  :beerchug:

Hey Zart -

Can you post-up a pic of your rendition of Murph's mount??

And Yes....mine is a 2012, so I must have missed that little tidbit of info when I purchased!

Damn, I need to get ON this install....but I'm S C A R E D!!!  :-\

gr

ghostrider990 said:
Zarticus said:

Hey Zart -

And Yes....mine is a 2012, so I must have missed that little tidbit of info when I purchased!

gr
I Will when I get home from vacation in a couple days  :beerchug:

Zarticus said:
ghostrider990 said:
Zarticus said:

Hey Zart -

gr

Still on vacation  Zart??  ;D

ghostrider990 said:
Zarticus said:
ghostrider990 said:
Zarticus said:

Hey Zart -

gr

Still on vacation  Zart??  ;D
  :rotflmao: I'm so sorry, Got caught up with some medical problems while on vacation & forgot all about it. Will post a picture tonight !!!!!!!!

Hey, ghostrider990,

Really, the only "scarey" part for me was when it came time to drill the hole in the throttle bracket.
A fuel injector is right behind that area, so you have to be sure and put a piece of metal plate or something in behind the throttle... so you don't slip and accidentally install a new hole in your injector...

Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. Sort the mechanical, then the electrical.
Lots of documentation and pictures. Probably the biggest challenge of all is removing / reinstalling the Tupperware, without breaking something fragile or losing a fastener...

If you get stuck, and need advice, let me know. i've installed several Rostra's and a Audiovox 100.
Maybe I can help. Unless you have -0- mechanical skills, You can do it!
Bob

I used a hex bolt with a beveled head "think drywall screw type head" so it would recess into murphs bracket mounting hole. I then used a nylon bushing on the backside of the bracket to space it out from the handlebar control clamp a little, The hex bolt goes threw murphs bracket & then threw the spacer & then threads into the factory control clamp. Then you just mount the cruise switch to murphs bracket once its in place. I can reach over with my left thumb to set the cruise without taking my hand all the way off the grip. I may be bias but I think my idea is the best for safety, ease of use & looks  :beerchug: 

Attachments

• 20160127_210441 (Copy).jpg
    20160127_210441 (Copy).jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 20160127_210550 (Copy).jpg
    20160127_210550 (Copy).jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 132
I just made a bracket for a friend yesterday. We did cut off the nubs on the controller and drill it for bolts and screws instead. The installer for the system just had an ugly mount for this system and mounted it to the brake reservoir so it kept moving when you hit buttons. This works much better. We used a sheet of 16ga. aluminum, jigsaw, grinder, and drill mainly to make the mounting plate.

Only thing left is to prime it and paint flat black

Attachments

• 20160131_174741 (Medium).jpg
    20160131_174741 (Medium).jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 20160131_174917 (Medium).jpg
    20160131_174917 (Medium).jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 125
rmills944 said:
I just made a bracket for a friend yesterday. We did cut off the nubs on the controller and drill it for bolts and screws instead. The installer for the system just had an ugly mount for this system and mounted it to the brake reservoir so it kept moving when you hit buttons. This works much better. We used a sheet of 16ga. aluminum, jigsaw, grinder, and drill mainly to make the mounting plate.

Only thing left is to prime it and paint flat black
That looks very nice, Ryan. Did you seal the unit from the inside with silicone to weather-proof it? I noticed you don't have any type of cover over it.

If I may make a suggestion on sealing the switches?
Remove the front cover. Then remove the rubber keypad from the cover. Apply silicone sealant to inside of the cover and replace the rubber keypad.  This will seal the face of the switch housing.  Once the cover is reinstalled onto switch body, use silicone sealant to close the gaps on the back side.
This is how I have done mine, and it seems to be quite effective. I have ridden in torrential downpours for extended periods, with this setup.

SC,
Murph has a waterproof new switch cover for the Rostra now!!  Use it. Easy peasy!  :motonoises: :motonoises:

Matt

mattchewn said:
SC,
Murph has a waterproof new switch cover for the Rostra now!!  Use it. Easy peasy!  :motonoises: :motonoises:

Matt

Matt...

Is this something different then that ugly cover they had been selling? In any event, I couldn't find anything on Murph's site about any cover. Do you have a link? Thanks...

Al,
It is a clear molded "vinyl type" material. very easy to install. Works very well and its see thru. I got to be one of the beta testers when he had them made last year.
Maybe they are still in production?
Matt

Murph? Murph? Any info on these?

Sailor_chic said:
Until then, my method is proven.

+1. That's how I've waterproofed all of my switches.  So far, -0- problems.

I got one of those slip-over rubber covers with my kit, but saw quickly that I didn't like that.

One area those type covers won't seal is on the back, where the wires exit the switch.

The only person I've heard say that this method has not worked for them has been BDF.
He's posted pictures of three switches that were totally corroded.
Still not sure how that happened.

I've ridden through many "toad strangler" rain storms, and never had anything happen like that.
Now, I always park mine under cover and use a waterproof cover.
If I've ridden in a lot of rain, I will wipe it down good with a towel before I cover it for the night.

-and I don't live in the northern climate zone, either. So, that may be a difference?

After several trial and errors with the silicon sealant and the covers, follwed the advice of another member and just smeared a thin film of fishing reel grease on both sides of circuit board- so simple, the contacts always work, no corrosion buildup, no need to cover and seal, is waterproof. Stands up to washing and weather too.
You do not need the Rostra control, an on/off and a on/off/on switch works well too (in instructions)! I did both, installed the Rostra control on the left and also in parallel installed the two switches underneith the throttle on the right and have control with both hands, very convinient. 

I'm going to install a Rosta in the next day or so.  I've done it on other bikes, so I don't think it will be too bad, but I am wondering about opinions on the best place for the servo unit.  I have searched and read, and it appears that most place it down low in front, on the left side.  Is this the preferred spot?

Rodney, on a C14, a better location may be in front of the gas tank on the right side underneath the fairing, if you don't have a smog control unit there. That's where Nicole located hers.

RodneyW said:
I'm going to install a Rosta in the next day or so.  I've done it on other bikes, so I don't think it will be too bad, but I am wondering about opinions on the best place for the servo unit.  I have searched and read, and it appears that most place it down low in front, on the left side.  Is this the preferred spot?

I mounted mine top right of tank about 3 years ago and has worked fine in that location.

Here's a picture I took showing horn compressor location that just happens to show actuator location also.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=63556.msg508925#msg508925

Many have located in this location from years back with good results. Suggest you do some searches for "Rostra" on COG to show you the many details of the install.

Thanks Jim.  I don't suppose anyone (Nicole?) would happen to have a pic of that?  I'm wondering about the routing of the cable. It sounds like it is somehow run under the tank? 

Big Al said:
RodneyW said:

I mounted mine top right of tank about 3 years ago and has worked fine in that location.

Here's a picture I took showing horn compressor location that just happens to show actuator location also.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=63556.msg508925#msg508925

Many have located in this location from years back with good results. Suggest you do some searches for "Rostra" on COG to show you the many details of the install.
I've nearly worn out my search button on this one!  Thanks for the photo!

Rodney,
Mine is mounted down on the left side of the radiator. This location does not work if you have Canyon Cages though. So if you have them or plan on getting them something to consider. Having the unit tucked in behind the fairing is nice, and leaves room for my Stebel compressor up on the right side under the upper panel!
Matt

mattchewn said:
Rodney,
Mine is mounted down on the left side of the radiator. This location does not work if you have Canyon Cages though. So if you have them or plan on getting them something to consider. Having the unit tucked in behind the fairing is nice, and leaves room for my Stebel compressor up on the right side under the upper panel!
Matt

+1. I agree with Matt.

I have my horn mounted front/top/right. So I placed my servo lower left. I remember at the time, I was concerned about heat harming the servo. Almost 4 years now... no problems.

BDF had recommended this location, and told me not to worry, it would be fine there.

It is a tight fit, though. And tip over protection can be an issue. Matt's right.

I prefer this location because then, everything's on the left side. Less to take apart!

Thank you both for the opinions.  I've got everything apart (did coolant flush and air filter change also), so that part doesn't matter.  As long as no one has reported issues with failure due to heat, I think lower left gets my vote.  Rodney

Rodney,
Another thing I like about having it on the lower left is I can get to the dip switches if I need to make a change or see the diagnostic LED light if I have a problem, all without taking anything apart.

If it's on the right side under the black cover, it's easily accessible and no fairings have to be removed.

Rodney, I have pics on my PC at home.

mattchewn said:
Rodney,
Matt
Matt,

Actually it does work, but it's not easy to contort the bracket to hold it there. I have a smog control box to the right of my gas tank and couldn't put the servo there, so I had to go with the lower left radiator location - with the Canyon Cages. Yeah, it's a tight fit.

Sailor_chic said:
If I may make a suggestion on sealing the switches?
Remove the front cover. Then remove the rubber keypad from the cover. Apply silicone sealant to inside of the cover and replace the rubber keypad.  This will seal the face of the switch housing.  Once the cover is reinstalled onto switch body, use silicone sealant to close the gaps on the back side.
This is how I have done mine, and it seems to be quite effective. I have ridden in torrential downpours for extended periods, with this setup.

That is how I did mine as well.  I also gooped up the outside of the plastic mounting plate then slid the top cover over it.  It snapped into place and squeezed out all the excess silicone which I then squeegeed off.  I used a good quality outdoor UV resistant product that should last a good while.
John

Hey bigfoot, do u happen to have any pics of the unit installed on the left side with the canyon cages installed.  I'd like to see how u did it there.  I dont wanna hve to move my aux fuse block and relays from the right side if I dont have to..