• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Quick question on threadlocking compound

trampgeo

Tricycle
I am installing the Rostra electronic cruise control from my old bike (Vstrom 1000) onto my 2011 ZG1400.  Had to remove the three 12mm hex head screws that hold the yoke that blocks access to the throttle pulley on the left side.  The screws were held in place with an orange(?) thread lock cement.  The yoke is pretty important structurally ane I want to put the screws back with thread lock cement.  Does anyone know what this is?  Is the orange color threadlock equivalent to Locktite blue or red - or should I be using something else?  A quick response would be appreciated as I am hoping to put the left side fairing back on today or tomorrow.

I'm taking pictures of the Rostra install and I'll post them when I am done to show the differences between B.D. Felice's install on a 2008 and my install on a 2011.

-Larry Johnson

I would just clean it (Orange) off and use blue removable thread lock in it's palce. Be careful. If you don't clean off that orange threadlock. A few folks wound up snapping the bolts off when they wound up binding when re-installing.

I almost don't use liquid threadlock anymore.

Have almost converted totally to tape.

Works great, too. Same codes available, in the blues, and the reds, and some others I never use.

I don't know anything about threadlock, but I really thank you for mentioning the Rostra.  The new '04 doesn't have a CC like the old '02 did and I'm really missing it.  I was going to get another Audiovox, since my experience with it was very good, but now you've got me thinking. 
Thanks!  8)

ChipDoc said:
I don't know anything about threadlock, but I really thank you for mentioning the Rostra.  The new '04 doesn't have a CC like the old '02 did and I'm really missing it.  I was going to get another Audiovox, since my experience with it was very good, but now you've got me thinking. 
Thanks!  8)

The Rostra is a much better unit than the Audiovox and doesn't need vacuum. It hold speed better and is much more consistent and won't be affected by altitude when you ride in the mountains.

Be careful selecting thread lock by color, as there is no standard and some companies make the medium strength Blue and others make it Red. So be sure to read the label.

Yes it was Loctite blue from the small tube.  I forgot to mention in my Rostra thread that the Rostra worked fine at high altitude when I went to the VStrom "gathering"
in Colorado two summers ago.

Thanks for the comments, guys.  The Rostra thread was the first time I have contributed to the COG (or any) forum.

-Larry