• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Radiator Guard

Silverweasel

Just bought a new 2011 C-14 ABS.  The radiator looks vulnerable as I have to travel about one mile on a gravel road to access the nearest highway.  I was all set to order a Cox Racing radiator guard but, the company (Andy) informed me that their unit will not fit the 2011 model.  I learned on another forum that the product made by Projekt would not fit the 2011 C14 without some modification.  Has anyone tried to fit a radiator guard on the 2011 C14.  Any help would be appreciated.  I did order a Murph's front fender extender as a first step toward protecting the radiator.

I'll let you know in a couple of days.  I'm getting ready to install my Projekt D radiator guard on my 2011 this weekend.

The part numbers for the radiators from 08 to 2011's are the same, so I would guess the guards should work on all those years.

Installed my Projekt D radiator guard this weekend.  It took about 5 minutes and couldn't have been easier.  ;)

Attachments

• DSC00264.jpg
    DSC00264.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 158
Right after I bought my 2011 ABS, I started trying to address the radiator vulnerability issue because of the short front fender.  My old 2000 had no such issues.  After I drove the bike in the rain, I found the center of the radiator packed with junk.  I also had lots of junk all over the pipes and clean up onto the horn.  I have not only added the front fender extension from Projekt D, but added a short sheet rubber "mud flap" to the bottom of it.  It's all black, and doesn't show hardly at all.  Now nothing gets on the radiator and the front of the engine or pipes, and I don't have to worry about a guard reducing cooling flow.

I suppose a rock could come in around the side off somebody else and hit the radiator, but then again, I could also take one anywhere else on the bike or my vunerable body parts.  Where does it end?  Guard the whole thing?

Also, if anybody's interested, I've also installed a rear flap ahead of the rear wheel that hangs down from the inner fender and to the gap between the tire and swing-arm.  No more dirt and grit on the electronics module, back of the engine, or onto the shock and rear suspension.  I can post another thread with some pictures.  Way cheaper than the $170 rear inner fender from Projekt D.  Just a little sheet rubber, a stainless screw and fender washer, and some silicone caulk.

Biking in the Northwest on a regular basis requires extra measures for rain and water protection.

Superdave said:
Biking in the Northwest on a regular basis requires extra measures for rain and water protection.

+1 here!

I've had mine for a year now, and still can't figure out why Kawi didn't address these issues in the original design.  After all, it's a bike that will be ridden in wet weather, if you do any touring at all.  Seems they were too busy making it a Sport bike, and forgot to thoroughly test it out in a Touring environment.

I went through all the same stuff, including installing a rear hugger, but still looking for a way to keep the spray from the rear tire from getting to the inside face of my boots, and the saddle bags.

can i get a little more info about the homemade rear, or links to huggers.

thanks. have the long front fender extender and no rad guard.

JS_racer said:
can i get a little more info about the homemade rear, or links to huggers.

thanks. have the long front fender extender and no rad guard.

Can't help you with the home made rear. But here's a link to the farkle's section. I think there was hugger's on the list!

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,27354.0.html