• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rain Gear - Looking for thoughts on the topic

motoddt

Hey all,
New c14 owner--long term sport/local rider.  Recently retired so planning some longer distance riding hopefully.
Love the C-14, but hate getting wet.  As I live in the Ohio valley, it happens every time I roll the bike outside...

1) Any recommendations for entry rain gear?

2)  Or am I better off to invest in something better long term?  If so what have you had good luck with?

thx, don

I don't own rain gear. I use Aerostich and Klim. I just zip up when the sky darkens. If it's cold, I may stop and put on my Aerostich lobster mitt glove covers.

There are cheaper options, but the systems from these two work. I wear mine year round.

Aerostich AD1 pants (I have a grey and black pair)
Aerostich Darien jacket
Klim Apex jacket
Klim Blade jacket
Sidi Adventure boots
Sidi Rain boots
Gerbing heated jacket liner and heated gloves.

This ensemble is mixed and matched to ride year round. I don't commute and log 15-25k per year in all types of weather. It's cheaper to go big early. If you ride hard and far, you will eventually end up with high end gear. Save yourself some money and do it first.

YMMV

I have some tourmaster raingear that works well . Just be sure to get some large enough to go over your riding gear easily and quickly .

Check out Frog Toggs....... pretty cheap and durable.  I have the pants and hi viz lime green jacket.  Was $54 from Amazon.

I live in the PNW and I ride in Klim, and Aerostich. Logging 15-20k in mileage per year touring and commuting I would pull my hair out if I had to stop and put on rain gear every time the weather changed. The gear is expensive, however the investment in ease and comfort will last a long time. Some people boast 10-20 years in an Aerostich suit. My two cents.

I invested in an aerostich suit.  Well worth it for the protection and all weather capabilities.  No need to worry about rain  ;)

If you already have good riding gear the frog togg is good rain gear for the price.
Admittedly it is a pain to predict when to stop and put it on or if you can ride through a slight shower without putting it on and then get poured on is the downside for having separate rain gear, AMHIK.

Don,

What Worncog said.

Took me a while to figure that out but have not looked back, have a closet full of gear that I'm sure all added up to what my KLIM gear cost. Now when we ridde, we don't even stop when it's raining,I just wave at all the "bikers" huddled under the overpasses putting on rain suits or waiting the rain out.

If you do go the rain suit route, get a motorcycle specific one, with reflective piping, venting, a hoodie to prevent water going down your back and make sure you can get the rain pants on with out taking off your boots.

Also in a warmer climate, you'll end up getting just a wet from sweating in your rain suit. Before the KLIM gear we would just ride in the rain, once we got through it, we would just air dry, cooled us off on those hot days.

I'm one of the guys under the bridge,, but want to tell you my side of the story.
I live in Houston, and,,, as much as I agree that the KLIM or Aerostich are the safest,, their just too hot for me.
So, I wear mesh riding coat and pants, and put on my Rain Gear when/if it rains..

About 10 years ago, I bought Teknic rain gear for the wife and I.
In those 10 years, we've probably used them 10 to 20 times.
Works fine for us, and besides,,, we've meet some interesting people "under the bridge".    ;)

Ride safe, Ted

Well, seeing as the O/P is an Ohio resident, all I can say is Aerostich... 2 piece roadcrafter... it gets hot here, but the evenings, and majority of the time during riding season is "Stich fine"...
Total all the various permutations of jackets, pants, and add on an over shell rain suit.. and you reach the price of a Roadcrafter, and it is pretty bulletproof, as far as protective padds go. Easy on, easy off, zip the 2 pieces together, or wear them individually... best of everything.

Oh, and I don't stop under bridges for any other reason than to take a "slash", and even then, don't like the fact I'm under a bridge awaiting some numbnut to pull off and crash into me... Ted likes that stuff tho.. :rotflmao: :great: :beerchug:
He meets interesting people there... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana:
My Stich will be 15 years old this season... I figure I can get 5 more years out of it... you figure out the cost per year, and make your decision, hell, I've prolly spent half the price of a Stich, buying gloves every year.. :rotflmao:

over 40 years riding time - many times in the rain.  always harder on you when you have to do the long distance during a rain storm to keep on schedule.  have done that many times as well.  so - I speak with experience.

- don't cheap out.  a cheap suit will fail just when you need it most - and you will already be wet when you determine it failed. a good quality suit will last a long time - mine is probably about 20 years old now
- rain resistant suits like Klim/Aerostitch are terrific for those brief rain events that always seem to hit you when you go for an unscheduled ride.  I used to have a one-piece Aerostitch; loved it (until it didn't fit anymore:)<); but it would eventually leak into the crotch on day long rain/ride events.  I always had a rain suit to go over the Aero - happy I did
- in variable temperature situations (starts warm, gets really cold, but you have to ride, do you want to risk being both cold AND wet?) the rain suit can act as an additional layer for wind protection even when it isn't raining.  used it for that purpose many times.

don't forget the footwear and glove options too

Cal

Klim and/Aerostich all year round and all the  time - any season - any weather- hot or cold.
I tossed out all my other gear including all my mesh gear which in my opinion mesh sucks in hot and warm weather.
Proper venting  is key- keeping the cool air created  from evaporation on your body and in your gear is key.
I only wear riding  shorts (no long pants ) under my riding gear when it is hot.

I hate and will never stop in the rain to put  gear on ever again.

Thanks All for all the feedback.  Much appreciated! :great:

On the Aerostich (Klim?) front.  Most seem to talk about 2 pc set-ups.  What do you see as advantages/tradeoffs of the 2 pc arrangement vs the 1 pc Roadmaster suit or similar?

thx, don

The single biggest advantage of the 2-piece suit
is when you stop for lunch you won’t look “special”
going through the buffet line with the top half of
your 1-piece suit tied around your waist.

I don't mind looking like a dork and rock the one piece Aerostich.  I think its more comfortable not having two things at my waist holding them up.  Plus it's fast to suit up.  I know if I had a two piece I'd sneak out with only a jacket once in a while  :))

Froggtoggs makes a jacket and pants set specifically designed for riders. I've ridden through some real downpours and stayed dry. They breath very well so you won't sweat to death inside them. Total cost was about $225 if memory still works. Most of my riding until now was in the southwest so heat was a concern. I like the Froggtoggs enough that I'd probably buy them again.

Thanks again for all the great discussion since this is new territory for me.

RE 2 pc riding premium riding gear
Some very basic (IE: maybe stupid) questions....
I see that they (Aero/Klim) advertise zip together pants/jackets
    Is that the key to staying dry with 2 pc?  Are they as dry as a 1pc ride suit when needed?
    Does that still apply with mix n match combos as discussed?  Klim jackets vs Aero pants, etc as several have advised
        Do all vendors zip together?  Does it matter?  Do you need/always use that feature?

thx, don

The frog tog and other 2 pc have enough overlap that there is no need to zip together. Not sure about the higher end mismatched gear that zippers. Another old school trick was to buy an oversized dish washing gloves to put over riding gloves. With newer weatherproof gloves that might of gone out the window. Plus back in the day they only came in yellow.

MotoDDT said:

Is that the key to staying dry with 2 pc?  Are they as dry as a 1pc ride suit when needed?
    Does that still apply with mix n match combos as discussed?  Klim jackets vs Aero pants, etc as several have advised
        Do all vendors zip together?  Does it matter?  Do you need/always use that feature?

thx, don

I have never checked the zipper mate up between Stich and Klim parts mismatched, but can only assume they won't mate, and if they do, probably won't fit optimum like either in its own respects...
My 2 piece Roadcrafter was picked based on the fact I wanted customized fit, which is much desirable to get the leg length, arm reach, and protective pad locations I wanted. The Aerostich sizing and mods directions will show you just how much it can be customized, in those areas, and I had leg, arm, and side insert mods done to mine... also allows the color combos you desire, instead of "basic black" which sux in summer....
Also, the 2 piece Roadcrafter has an add on option called the "elipse zip in attachment", which is used at the zip in junction of top and bottom halves, to provide a "longer torso" adaptation, for use during folder times when wearing over layer, or an electric liner, allowing more room between hips and shoulders for freedom of movement... a nice addition...
When joined, it all becomes a one piece suit, in function, and the only difference is you have a separate zipper for jacket, and pants, which adds in my opinion, more versatility...
Some people fomplain about leaks at crotch and other areas, but as I periodically do wash, and revitlize the exterior fabrics waterproofing, I have done what Aerostich highly refommended, which is to go over each zipper on the body with their spefific leak preventive sem sealer goo... it takes about a half hour to do a suit, but it does make all the seams and zipper tapes completely waterproof, for at east 5 years between applications..mine has held up at least 12 years after seam sealing.

Most people that complain about the crotch seam leakage never took the time to do the sealer, if they had spent the money for a suit, and a couple $ for that sealer, they would know it works... same as re applying the outer waterproofing at wash time.

Maintaining the suit, is the same as mantaining a bike, they both need periodic simple care, and last decades...
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/repellents-and-sealants/aerostich-waterwerks-kit-nikwax.html

Back to the question of 2 piece... its a heck of a lot easier to wash the 2 halves individually,  as a one piece suit is a mega load for a washing machine, or a dryer to accomplish... just saying...

MotoDDT said:

thx, don

I use the Klim latitude jacket and pants. Never had them zipped together. The jacket goes low in the back so I never needed to zip. After  3 years with the jacket and 2 with the pants NOT ONE DROP OF ANNOYING RAIN has hit my smooth milk like skin :great:

The real advantage of zipping them together is during a slide , they won't ride up on you exposing you to roadrash .

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback.  Great help for my (rain?)gear search! :great:

On the premium gear front...Has anyone had much luck with (slightly?) used premium gear?  I had seen a thread earlier that talked about the adventure bike website as a hotbed for potential gear....

Are there any specific concerns, watch-outs going for used / trying to get equipped on a budget?  Or are you simply still better off to buy new and get the sizing, etc. all customized?  Other thoughts IE:  waiting it out for the right gear sale....

thx, don

MotoDDT said:
On the premium gear front...Has anyone had much luck with (slightly?) used premium gear?  I had seen a thread earlier that talked about the adventure bike website as a hotbed for potential gear....

I'll share my one experience...

Like a couple of others on the forum, I have Motoport rather than Klim or Aerostich. Perhaps not as popular as the other two manufacturers, but I'd call it "premium" based on cost, build quality, and the fact that when purchased new it is all bespoke and customized to your measurements. Since I subscribe to the philosophy that my better half's skin is as valuable (maybe more so) than mine, when I got my Motoport gear I wanted to get something similar for her. However, she doesn't ride as much, so I started looking around for used.

I found a two-piece mesh on eBay that a retiring rider was selling for about 50% of the new price. His measurements were close enough to my wife's, so I decided to take the chance on it. The gear was well maintained (essential IMHO, and I queried the seller about this before purchase), looked nearly new, and — best of all — was a good enough fit for my wife that I didn't think she'd be at a greater risk if the gear was put to the test than I'd be with my bespoke pants and jacket. Since she is only an occasional rider, it was an excellent value for the peace of mind. Truthfully, I'd be OK in it had I gotten it for me.

As always, your mileage may vary...

Gently used gear is really a wise move, its pretty easy to spot items that are pristine, and seperate them from abused ones in photos, but until they invent smellable pictures, its still a toss up... jk.... lots of used gear is a deal, and many people spend big bucks only to find out they "just ain't into riding... like some of us are..."...
Especially so for your significant other, as she may be the most important cargo you can carry... and if she's uncomfortable, you will be also.. btdt... :'(

When I joined COG, and began this mission, my wife had no desire to be onboard.. none whatsoever... I guess it was the few rocket rides on my KZ that formed that opinion, then, when I got my C10, she would actually go with me for a fouple hours at a time, and somewhat enjoyed it, that being said, she wasn't up to a multi day 3k trip... but, that's when she "measured me up while I was asleep" and purchased my Which, because she loves me...
Her boss at that time, a BMW rider, who bought GOOD gear, crashed out on a solo ride, and when he woke up in the hospital, decided to give it up... he had nice gear for himself and his wife, who was the EXACT same size as my wife..  he offered up to her all their gear, and only wanted $300 for his wifes almost unworn Stich... I'm saying it was PRISTINE like it just came from factory...
Well, momma didn't think she wanted it, I pressed the issue saying I could get $600 for it any day, but she made me pass on it... oh, it also had a Gerbing along with that deal... I did get a nice helmet and gloves for her tho... fast forward about 9 months to:
When she forced me / gave me the GO on buying the C14, all of a sudden she found Nirvana in riding.. so the end result was, I had to buy gear for her.. I spent about $450 at that time to set her up, Tourmaster Transition jacket and pants, with jacket liner, gloves, and shoes...
Hindsight is 20/20, she really regreted not letting me get the gear when I wanted to then... but, the stuff I bought was well suited for the miles she would travel, with the addition of her own Gerbing heated liner, she finally understood...

She's probably put 15 to 20k miles on the bike with me now, in this gear, hopefully many more will follow..
So, if you see nice gear, for a super price, grab it... worst case scenario is you can always sell it back off here, or online, and recoup your costs...

Thanks again for all the feedback on the rainsuit / gear front!!

As a COG cheapskate, I am moving forward in a couple paths.  Short-term I have bagged a couple rainsuits (used / Frogg Toggs) to get rolling independent of weather.

I am in the process of going "pre-owned" to get started in premium gear as I look for available options.  Thanks also to ghostrider990 for the AdventureBike website info.  I appreciate everyone's thoughts on gear selection and tips to help me get started.

Hope to meet some of you later in the summer at a COG event or two.
thx again, don