• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rattling noise in 2nd gear, 2010 model

jaz

Big Wheel
Bought 2010 used @4000 miles from a dealer ; changed oil once got home ; oil was clean though.

Now with 4500 Miles. Noticed that when in 2nd gear , it makes rattling sound as if something is loose in a can .. also if I keep the throttle constant or rpm constant I dont hear it, hear that only when accelerating or slowing in 2nd gear. I have started to skip the 2nd gear. Took that to a dealer(different from where I bought it) and he says need to check with kawasaki for warranty and runs vin online and see that its not transferred to my name , comes back and says that I should take it to the dealer from where I bought it and they can help me better...

Also 2nd gear noise is prominent when I have ear plugs on since it stops other noises. Also noise existed before my oil change.

Any advice to what could be happening and if its a simple fix ; how to get dealer to take care of this under warranty.
Bike is fine in all other gears ; gets great Mileage ; oil used is in spec .

Update : Just tried running it on centre stand(side stand up) and changing gears 1,2,3 couple times; no weird noise whatsoever(although dash showed kipass error ) ; tried riding it around the block , hear the same noise as explained earlier in 2nd gear again . so weird noise is present when bike is moving in 2nd gear, absent when running it on 2nd gear with bike lifted on centre stand ... any thoughts , suggestions ?

Thanks