• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Re: Possible KIPASS failure?

Cap'n Bob

I split this off to it's own thread,  from the KIPASS fob thread, since this is about a possible KIPASS failure now and is a different subject!

Are you sure that it is a KIPASS problem? Have you checked to make sure you have good battery connections. Sometimes that can seem like a KIPASS failure because you have no power for the switch to initiate and unlock. So check you battery first. The second thing you can do is quickly disconnect and reconnect the grey plug under the clutch side panel. If it is just a stuck activation switch, this should unlock the key for a few seconds after reconnection. But you have to turn the switch to on quickly!

The beauty of KIPASS is not knowing what has stranded you without a lot of work to find out! Yes, yes, so much better than a standard key!!!  :))

Jack said:
I can order blank keys for the FOB and have them cut the same as the ignition key since it opens everything. Now the bad news had a long ride planned today but the KIPASS failed this morning. Tried beating on the switch to release to spring that didnt help. Good news is it happened at home and is still under warranty. Will update later this week.

Battery connections were good. Didnt want to mess with the gray connector since it was still under warranty. I hope its just the spring and they replace it with the stronger one.

Jack said:
Battery connections were good. Didnt want to mess with the gray connector since it was still under warranty. I hope its just the spring and they replace it with the stronger one.

It wouldn't matter anyway. Even if it is a stuck activation switch, you'll need to take it in for the warranty repair anyway. But it wouldn't have hurt to try the grey plug. At least you would know for sure, before you took it in! Anyway, let us know what they find, if you would!

So, Capn Bob - I am considering purchasing a 2011 Concours with ABS - currently on an '06 Honda ST 1300. I have never had a problem of any kind with the Honda and have just over 48K of original purchaser mile.

I am a bit concerned by the tone of your apparent sarcasim regarding the Kipass system - and not feeling like you can trust it.  Are you just poking fun or is there a serious potential problem with that system failing on a random basis???  Being so used to the Honda and the consistent trouble free performance - I am wondering if I would be "tempting the fates" to jump over onto the Concours if the problem is for real.  Any comments???  I am new to this website and so I may have missed some historical information relative to reliability of the Kipass system.  Thanks in advance for your comments.

I do have sarcasm with the system because in my case the strandings were reality. And to be honest, I now ride an FJR mainly because of it. The C14 has been plagued by problems with the KIPASS system. But by far the majority of them stem from a weak activation switch spring. This would cause the system to lock in limbo where you could not do anything with the ignition switch.
Now recently the word is that Kawasaki has implemented a newer heavier spring to replace the original. SO hopefully this will take care of the problem. I expect that the newer C14's probably would have the upgraded spring. So if your buying a 2011, I seriously doubt that you should have to worry.
I personally don't care for the system and feel it's unnecessary technology for technologies sake. So I prefer a standard key (especially after owning an 08 for three years). But let me say that I think that Kawasaki replacing the spring will help any issues from now on. Of course there is no guarantee with a system like this! So if you are going to worry about it all the time. You may want to consider passing on the bike. But if you can have faith that it will be OK. Then you will probably enjoy owning a wonderful motorcycle that the C14 truly is. The key is not to worry about it. And maybe research what to do if by chance the switch unlikely did stick!

Phil said:
So, Capn Bob - I am considering purchasing a 2011 Concours with ABS - currently on an '06 Honda ST 1300. I have never had a problem of any kind with the Honda and have just over 48K of original purchaser mile.

I am a bit concerned by the tone of your apparent sarcasim regarding the Kipass system - and not feeling like you can trust it.  Are you just poking fun or is there a serious potential problem with that system failing on a random basis???  Being so used to the Honda and the consistent trouble free performance - I am wondering if I would be "tempting the fates" to jump over onto the Concours if the problem is for real.  Any comments???  I am new to this website and so I may have missed some historical information relative to reliability of the Kipass system.  Thanks in advance for your comments.

Bike still at dealer since Monday they have not even looked at it. If you unplug the gray connector is that only good for 1 start? Please somebody come up with a bypass for KIPASS.

Jack said:
Bike still at dealer since Monday they have not even looked at it. If you unplug the gray connector is that only good for 1 start? Please somebody come up with a bypass for KIPASS.

Yes, 1 time per unplug/plug. And you have to be quick to turn the switch on after you re-plug the connector. Otherwise it may turn off again on you! But it will work more than 1 time if you keep unplugging and replugging the grey connector when it does it.

They finally started working on bike today. Sounds like they know nothing about the KIPASS setup. I had to explain it over and over I dont have a good feeling about this shop.  I called 3 more dealers talked to the service managers none of them can recall working on the KIPASS.  :mad: :mad:

That's OK, when mine failed the last time. I was told that they never had anybody ever bring in a C14 for a KIPASS failure before this time. I guess they forgot about the few times I brought mine by after it had failed!
My point being, is that I think they tell the customers things to make them feel good or secure about their motorcycles. But they may elude the truth sometimes to do this!  ;)

Yeah I head ya' Bob, KiPass certainly does evoke a fair amount of.... er, "truthful liberties". By the way, fixed up your post for ya'.

;D

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
That's OK, when mine failed the last time. I was told that they never had anybody ever bring in a C14 for a KIPASS failure before this time. I guess they forgot about the few times one other time I brought mine by after it had failed!
My point being, is that I think they tell the customers things to make them feel good or secure about their motorcycles. But they may elude the truth sometimes to do this!  ;)

That is great- it sounds like a really robust system then... you cannot find anyone that has had to work on one yet.

Brian

Jack said:
They finally started working on bike today. Sounds like they know nothing about the KIPASS setup. I had to explain it over and over I dont have a good feeling about this shop.  I called 3 more dealers talked to the service managers none of them can recall working on the KIPASS.  :mad: :mad:

KiPass itself cannot be bypassed in any reasonable fashion or at any reasonable cost; the part of KiPass that has had issues is the activation switch and that CAN be bypassed. I wrote an article on how to do exactly that some years ago on the other forum. Someone recently dug it up and re-posted it there again: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=627.msg6082#msg6082

Brian

Jack said:

Like I said. You Kawasaki employees love to change the truth. Maybe I was dreaming each time I brought that bike back to the dealer, just to have them say "it's not failing now! We have to confirm it's failing."  You must have been there each time also! More Kawasaki cover ups. This time by Kawasaki employee, code name BDF!  :))

BDF said:
Yeah I head ya' Bob, KiPass certainly does evoke a fair amount of.... er, "truthful liberties". By the way, fixed up your post for ya'.

;D

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
That's OK, when mine failed the last time. I was told that they never had anybody ever bring in a C14 for a KIPASS failure before this time. I guess they forgot about the few times one other time I brought mine by after it had failed!

Yep, KiPass does inspire some to deviate away from reality. For those who cannot see Bob and that he has a big, purple dot on his forehead, indicating a certain.... warped world view, let me point out that I do not now and never have worked for Kawasaki (or any motorcycle mfg. for that matter). It is all part of the illness- Bob rides a Feejer but feels compelled to hang around on C-14 forums.

Now Bob, we know they can't really cure you but if you would just take your pills the symptoms would be a little less pronounced....

:D

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
Like I said. You Kawasaki employees love to change the truth. Maybe I was dreaming each time I brought that bike back to the dealer, just to have them say "it's not failing now! We have to confirm it's failing."  You must have been there each time also! More Kawasaki cover ups. This time by Kawasaki employee, code name BDF!  :))

Not that I know of and we can probably not even get the new spring as a part anyway. The ign. switch is serviced as a unit but the spring is a special case that is a warranty fix; without a warranty claim it is unlikely the spring is even available.

Of course you could just buy a heavier spring yourself. They are readily available from companies like McMaster- Carr.

Getting to the switch will require a bit of work too as there are tamper- proof screws in the way that need to be drilled out. It is nothing horrible to do but certainly beyond normal maintenance level work.

Brian

Andrew_Picard_LA said:
Has anyone replaced the activation spring themselves? My 08 is out of warranty, and I'm curious!

BDF said:
<snip>
It is all part of the illness- Bob rides a Feejer but feels compelled to hang around on C-14 forums.

<snip>

:D

Brian

Again you cloud the truth for your cause Brian. So I guess I must explain the truth to the people you again want to deceive with partial truths! I still believe your affiliated with Kawasaki in some manner. There no other explaination for someone to continuously defend Kawasaki is almost every aspect, even though you have had more problems (and warranty claims) with your bike, than probably anyone!  :rotflmao: So for the others, I now must explain the truth that you again tried to muddy!  ;)

Yes I ride a Yamaha FJR. As well as a Kawasaki Concours, and a Kawasaki Mean Streak!  I have owned three Concours'es over the years, but I also do own an FJR at this time as well. I Bought a 2003 Concours way back then. (which was totalled in a high side in late 2005)  I bought my C14 in early July 2007 (before Brian bought his). I have since continuously owned a Concours, and actually owned two Concours'es at the same time last year.
I continue to own a Concours at this time. So why would you insinuate that I shouldn't spend time on the C14 forum?  Brian, you bad, bad person! Go tell your bosses that you couldn't convince me that your not associated with Kawasaki!!!  :p

Of course the really scary thought here is that you ARE taking your medication and this IS the good version....  <shiver>.

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
Again you cloud the truth for your cause Brian. So I guess I must explain the truth to the people you again want to deceive with partial truths! I still believe your affiliated with Kawasaki in some manner. There no other explaination for someone to continuously defend Kawasaki is almost every aspect, even though you have had more problems (and warranty claims) with your bike, than probably anyone!  :rotflmao: So for the others, I now must explain the truth that you again tried to muddy!  ;)

Yes I ride a Yamaha FJR. As well as a Kawasaki Concours, and a Kawasaki Mean Streak!  I have owned three Concours'es over the years, but I also do own an FJR at this time as well. I Bought a 2003 Concours way back then. (which was totalled in a high side in late 2005)  I bought my C14 in early July 2007 (before Brian bought his). I have since continuously owned a Concours, and actually owned two Concours'es at the same time last year.
I continue to own a Concours at this time. So why would you insinuate that I shouldn't spend time on the C14 forum?  Brian, you bad, bad person! Go tell your bosses that you couldn't convince me that your not associated with Kawasaki!!!  :p

BDF said:
Of course the really scary thought here is that you ARE taking your medication and this IS the good version....  <shiver>.

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:

Now it's a KIPASS thread!  :))

Update on KIPASS just picked up the bike turns out it wasnt the KIPASS after all. The battery on the bike was dead.  I did check the voltage on the battery before taking it to the dealer 12.8 volts. The service manager said under load it dropped to 7 volts which is not enough to power up anything. Bike had been starting fine with no indication of a dying battery. Good news is battery was replaced under warranty. Waiting on the shifter bearing kit from Murph will update later.

Well a dead battery makes sense! I'm glad to hear you have your bike fixed. But for what it's worth. Had you had a standard key instead of KIPASS, you probably would have known you had a battery issue two weeks ago when this started. You would have turned the key on and hit the starter button, and then you probably would have known. You might have still had to take the bike back to  the dealer if you wanted a new battery (if it was covered under warranty)! But if it's not covered. You probably would have popped a new battery in the bike and been riding for the last two weeks! You gotta love this system, (NOT) !  ;)

Yes thats so true. I did miss a few good rides during that time. The service manager was glad to see me pick the bike up said it had give him a headache.  Lesson learned LEAVE THE VOLT METER HOOKED TO THE BATTERY HIT THE SWITCH AND WATCH THE VOLTS.