• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Really liking the Concours 14...worried about size (rider).

predatornc

Tricycle
So i'm really liking the concours 14 and have sat on'em a good few times trying to get the feel of it.  two problems i have...
1) I am 6'7" and 270lbs so i am worried about "long ride" comfort and such.
2)it seems there is nowhere around Western NC that you can get on one to test ride/rent (seems that maybe Atlanta GA is the closest, 4-5 hrs away, i'm near Asheville, NC

Anyone else this tall/big?  did you do any modifications?  feel/fit ok?
anyone know of a place near Asheville, NC or Greenville, SC to rent a connie for 1/2 a day?

Trying out a bike is nice. But in reality, it doesn't give you a true picture of how a bike will be. Only a short ride will tell you if you hate it right off the bat. But trying one does give you an idea how the bike will feel and perform. But if you get a C14. The first thing I would recommend is riding it for a thousand miles or more to see if you even need to make changes. And if so, what you need to change. We have a few very large riders who get along just fine on the bike. One of them for example did make some changes. He went to different adjustable handlebars, windshield and a different seat. He is also like 6'7".
  One good thing about the C14 is that it's a pretty tall bike. So it's probably more comfortable for larger riders than some other bikes. There are lots of modifications that can be made if they need to. But like I said, make sure you need to first. Doing some reading in the C14 sections will let you read up on a lot of topics. They may give you some idea's.
    By the way, welcome to the forum.

Check the Kawasaki site (www.kawasaki.com of course) frequently during the early to mid spring time frame. You want to look for the Ticket to Ride schedule.

Last year, they brought it to Bowie MD and I went. Got to ride the new gen ZX10R (they didn't want to let me ride it until I told them my riding background) and was totally blown away by it, but with my bad back, neck, and knees I was in need of pain killer when I got back.

Then I rode the C14, and I really liked it. I got the feeling I could have been much taller and still had good seating and reach, not to mention the seat is a bit high so you would have an advantage of a longer inseam to put your feet solidly on the ground.

My ZX14 has a high seat, too. After I put a 2010 C14 Factory Low Gel seat on it, its better, but if one side of the road has a dip, I have to be sure to lean the other way when I come to a stop. Heh.

I went and checked one out last night.  I put it on the center stand and sat there for an awkwardly long time.  I also had my wife jump on and we sat there longer.  I am 6 ft 300lbs.  For you, I think most any sport tourer will be tight from seat to pegs, but they do sell peg lowering kits.
I believe I am gonna be a buyer...

gPink said:
Try this site and see if the info helps.
http://cycle-ergo.com/

interesting site!  i looked at the connie with my demensions....then i looked at the klr650, because thats what i currently have, and it looked pretty close to the way i figure i look riding, need position, arms and such. 

Check the Kawasaki site (www.kawasaki.com of course) frequently during the early to mid spring time frame. You want to look for the Ticket to Ride schedule.

Yeah, the closest it came last year was almost 2 hours away, and the thought of driving 4 hours to ride it for probably 15 minutes just killed me.  I might just have to if i really want to get any seat time on it away from the showroom.

I know it is very hard finding ways to get on these bikes, and i know why they dont let people test drive them very much, but nobody buys a car without test driving it, but many people i know buy bikes after sitting on them 10 minutes in the showroom...kinda crazy!  :eek: 

I have it narrowed down between the 14 and a fjr...but im leaning toward the 14 more and more

When I went to Bowie MD, it was 1:30ish away from my home in western Maryland.

Worth every minute of the ride there and back, to know FOR SURE how I felt riding the motorcycle. And its the only way you will get to take one out on the street and really make some turns and such unless someone loans you theirs.

Don't look at me, nobody rides my bikes but the tech and my favorite salesman. I like to watch him ride my ZX14 around on the rear tire. Just hope he never drops it.

PredatorNC said:
gPink said:

interesting site!  i looked at the connie with my demensions....then i looked at the klr650, because thats what i currently have, and it looked pretty close to the way i figure i look riding, need position, arms and such. 

Yeah, the closest it came last year was almost 2 hours away, and the thought of driving 4 hours to ride it for probably 15 minutes just killed me.  I might just have to if i really want to get any seat time on it away from the showroom.

I know it is very hard finding ways to get on these bikes, and i know why they dont let people test drive them very much, but nobody buys a car without test driving it, but many people i know buy bikes after sitting on them 10 minutes in the showroom...kinda crazy!  :eek: 

I have it narrowed down between the 14 and a fjr...but im leaning toward the 14 more and more

Did you just compare the C14 to a KLR650?  :eek:  :-[

They come to Daytona for Bike Week, but there's always such a huge crowd there that I've never even tried to get a ride.  Sounds like it's worth the trouble!

ZG said:
PredatorNC said:
gPink said:

Did you just compare the C14 to a KLR650?  :eek:  :-[

Hey there close. They both have only two wheels.    :motonoises:

6'5", 240.  Ergos are fine for me, once I got bar risers and Cee Bailey tall windshield.  With your height, wind is going to still hit the top of your helmet with the shield all the way up, but earplugs will keep things quiet.  I think you will find the C14 can be made to fit you well.

I'm 6'4" and 360lbs and its fine for me.
The saddle is only good for one 200 mile hit but ya can get that upgraded.

The tallest screen is the CalSci XL (7.5" taller than a stock 2008 screen).
I have the +6" CalSci screen and it's just tall enough for me.
When I say tall enough, the wind passed over my head with the screen fully up and wind noise is minimal with no buffeting.

My recommendations would be;
Bar-risers
Russell saddle or similar (adds about 1" to seat height)
CalSci XL screen
Riders peg lowerers.

This will give you a bike that you can ride pretty much all day.  :motonoises:

Thanks for the tip!  Unfortunately I'm not an ROK member and I probably won't be able to afford to head on over to Daytona in March anyhow.  But that's a great bit of information and perhaps someone else will benefit.  Thanks!

tryed looking up the ticket to ride info....seems like 1.75 hrs away again is the closest, and its on a monday/tuesday????  maybe i was looking at a previous year?  anyone got a good link?

I have an '08 C-14 that has been lowered, has a Corbin seat, Cee Baileys windshield and risers.  I live just south of Charlotte but would be willing to rent you my bike so you can get a feel.  If these mods won't effect your determining the suitability of the bike, let me know.

Thanks for the offer Icon!  The local dealer is suppose to have a demo in for me to ride in about 3 weeks, so anyone in the marker, or knows someone on the fence and can make it to Hendersonville NC (south of Asheville) could probably set up a demo with Dal Kawa  dalkawa.com  and talk to Ralph.  I can't wait!!

Sorry Predator, I can't post pics at the moment as my domain has expired.
Trying to get it re-registered.
As soon as I do I'll post a few for ya.

PredatorNC said:
So i'm really liking the concours 14 and have sat on'em a good few times trying to get the feel of it.  two problems i have...
1) I am 6'7" and 270lbs so i am worried about "long ride" comfort and such.
2)it seems there is nowhere around Western NC that you can get on one to test ride/rent (seems that maybe Atlanta GA is the closest, 4-5 hrs away, i'm near Asheville, NC

Anyone else this tall/big?  did you do any modifications?  feel/fit ok?
anyone know of a place near Asheville, NC or Greenville, SC to rent a connie for 1/2 a day?
I'm not as tall as you but I weigh just as much :-\. I have a 34 inch inseam and use a peg lowering kit. This helped with the higher peg positon on my conk and lessened the strain on my knees. As for the suspension I dialed it up, went for a ride, dialed it up a bit more, another ride(you get the picture...) before long I had the sag set properly and I could attack the corners without worry of touch down or the bike feeling squirly under me...

Motor

Ok, Domain is back.
The best pic is my Avatar.
Here is the original
Boomer_on_Vivian.jpg

That's all me with stock saddle, stock pegs, no bar-risers and the CalSci +6" screen (over 2008 model)

Boomer, you NEED the peg lowering kit. Easy to install, take ya about 30 minutes to get her done...Oh, by the way......eat a sandwich will ya? Your lookin a bit thin! :57:

Motor