• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear Angel GT A Spec removal.......ideas?

Jjjtx

Crotch Rocket
:truce: :truce:

I have the rear tire half way off with the no mar changer.

However....Maybe i need some pushups or something, but I can not get it up over the bar/tool to remove it.

I've removed sport bike tires like this off 17 inch wheels with tire-irons but I can NOT get the no mar tire bar to grab the edge of the tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id55qaFPNpI

In the above video, I am at 6:11 in the process.  But, I can NOT get that tool to grab the tire edge no matter how much I lift it. You see how much light you can see on that tire in that video when the camera moves at 6:16,  I don't have that kind of room.

I'm POOPED!

Any suggestions?  This is an A Spec tire, and I'm wondering if the carcas is that much more stiff that this may be a two person job :)

DISREGARD !

I did not have the tip of the tool in far enough to grab the edge of the tire.

I Pushed it in just a little further and I grabbed the edge and got it done.

PHEW!

Yep, and always be sure the far side is in the valley of the rim.  Nothing works if it is not.

smithr1 said:
Yep, and always be sure the far side is in the valley of the rim.  Nothing works if it is not.

I was watching this as closely as I could. My mistake was keeping the notch of the tip in the edge of the rim.  There was no  way to lift the tire since it was already as far as it would go.

Then I realized after watching the video that the man in the video actually had the tip about half way up the black part. Then, it hooked the edge.

....I watched a GIRL do this in their other video and I said to myself....boy either I'm a big WIMP or I'm doing it wrong!.

I'm glad I Found out I'm not a wimp.....but instead I didnt have the tip in far enough!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D    ( I wont say any more about that..... )

Tomorrow, I install the new one and I will assume I wont have much trouble.  I DID however order two of thei XTRA HAND clamps.  I had the yellow thing on it, and I still needed to dig up a C-Clamp and squeeze the tire a bit in order to get the tire off the first part.  Once I clamped it a bit, it came up and over the edge of the rim.

First time I've removed a tire without the use of tire-irons, and a second person.  I'm very happy.

I don't know.  The hardest part for me was the last 6 inches of the second bead install.  I had to extend my bar and get where I could push with my back against a wall before it popped on.  I was worried the rubber would rip from the bead.

smithr1 said:
I don't know.  The hardest part for me was the last 6 inches of the second bead install.  I had to extend my bar and get where I could push with my back against a wall before it popped on.  I was worried the rubber would rip from the bead.
I have given up on using GT or A spec tires because they are too hard to mount. I have managed to do 3 or 4 but each time I was afraid something or someone would get hurt.

I noticed when I used the correct techniques the rear a spec came off without much effort on the nomar.

Replament comes today so ill follow up here. I have been using a harbor freight changer and irons for years.  Finally i can do it alone and no tire irons so far

Two people worked best on my A spec tires. Even with a No Mar they were stiff to pry on. Having an extra heavy hand or two made it much easier.

roy826 said:
Two people worked best on my A spec tires. Even with a No Mar they were stiff to pry on. Having an extra heavy hand or two made it much easier.

I have the yellow thing, and two hand clamps.

Which ends up being THREE hands.

I wont lie and say it was EASY.

But I got it. I think next time I'll have a better plan of attack and it wont take as long.  I started in the wrong section of the tire and had to release it and turn the tire once.

But I got it done without help and a single yellow-thing from nomar.

I found on the GT with this technique and no tire irons that lube is the key, even when you put the tire over the rim on the first side.

Yep. Lots of lube gets tires on and off much easier.

Have you watched the video of a Goldwing tire change with the No-Mar? That thing is a beast and you have to use tire irons, too.

Bigfoot_16 said:
Yep. Lots of lube gets tires on and off much easier.

Have you watched the video of a Goldwing tire change with the No-Mar? That thing is a beast and you have to use tire irons, too.

Yeah. I Did.  Special rim clamps, too.

Those run-flat tires are stiff MoFos

Glad I dont have a goldwing.

Will see how it goes on the front tire next. But these A spec tires are pretty stiff puppies.  I was afraid to use TOO much lube,  so I probably didnt use as much as I should. I used a harbor freight changer and tire irons.  So this is new.

I did the A-specs with tire irons, but it was a bear.  I like the tires, but may go without the A-spec next tire change to avoid the process.  I used every trick in the book, but the sidewalls are just too stiff.  I wonder if I even need air...

I didnt have an A spec front last time.  Didnt know there was for front.  So this time I'll be curious how they last and will keep other set for comparison when time to remove.

JTX said:
roy826 said:

I have that to but I am not heavy enough alone or strong enough to push or pry the last bit down. Big friends are a plus.

roy826 said:
JTX said:
roy826 said:

I have that to but I am not heavy enough alone or strong enough to push or pry the last bit down. Big friends are a plus.

I hear ya. I had to jump on the tire to push it over the rim.  But I still think its because I Didnt use enough lube on the rim.

So the front tire went on a couple days ago. Just now getting to a follow up post.

The front actually went on easier than the rear. A spec as well.  I think a lot had to do with better technique and the hand clamps and I put more of the lube on the tire edge.  A few stills.

No help, no tire irons.  Just the clamps and yellow thing.

off
y5g3XyH.jpg

gaFF9bb.jpg

S4zetIX.jpg

on
NVzmyqb.jpg

zY8466b.jpg

iqiwWW3.jpg

It took longer to put all the bolts, calipers fender axle, torque, jump up and down on it, pinch clamps.

than it did to remove/mount the tire.

Yellow thing is the best tool I have ever bought for tire changes, followed closely by No Mar lube. (easy boys!) :D

Throttle 8 said:
Yellow thing is the best tool I have ever bought for tire changes, followed closely by No Mar lube. (easy boys!) :D

:-X

It really works well. As well as using it on the right surface for install.

ETA

The funny part is, about the whole process of changing my tires by myself this time, I was under the false impression that applying FRONT brake pedal activated the rear caliper in linked braking on my C14.

I read in the book where it said when doing the rear tire to zip tie the front brake while removing the rear wheel.  I though, well how the hell do I get the caliper off if its squeezing the disc.

Well, it wasn't.  All this time I thought grabbing front brake lever was activating the rear brake too...

I know it says it does this in the book, so I guess it means when the bike is in MOTION, the front/rear activates.....  But I was always under impression it was regardless.... :-[

This lube advice is better late than never I would think.  I use liberal amounts of Goop on the rim and tire.  You can get a tub of it at Advanced Auto.  Don't be shy with it.  Just remember to wipe your hands and tools down before you start.

(Goop also works great at removing road grime from any windshield.  You know, that film that develops after months of driving.  Smear it on and let it sit for a spell then rinse it off after a brief scrub.)

Tree said:
This lube advice is better late than never I would think.  I use liberal amounts of Goop on the rim and tire.  You can get a tub of it at Advanced Auto.  Don't be shy with it.  Just remember to wipe your hands and tools down before you start.

(Goop also works great at removing road grime from any windshield.  You know, that film that develops after months of driving.  Smear it on and let it sit for a spell then rinse it off after a brief scrub.)

Yeah I've used a mild soap too that worked.

Whatever nomar is using in their cans of lube is pretty well done.  I'll likely keep buying it from them as It will likely last a while.

JTX, that changer will work MUCH better if it's bolted to the concrete floor. You'll even find it takes less effort too.

I was skeptical when i tried this idea but it worked perfect.  The only reason i had trouble was technique and not enough lube.... It moves only very slightly.

Though i will admit there would be a little more torque available if it was bolted.  For now I'm going to try it this way and if it becomes an issue i will bolt it.  Problem is my two stall garage is on the small side.  1960s era house.  If I hard mount it, It will be in the way for other tasks and I would have to un-bolt it and then cover up the studs.  It will be a hassle.  I won't put studs in the floor where vehicle tires will be.

JTX said:
I was skeptical when i tried this idea but it worked perfect.  The only reason i had trouble was technique and not enough lube.... It moves only very slightly.

Though i will admit there would be a little more torque available if it was bolted.  For now I'm going to try it this way and if it becomes an issue i will bolt it.  Problem is my two stall garage is on the small side.  1960s era house.  If I hard mount it, It will be in the way for other tasks and I would have to un-bolt it and then cover up the studs.  It will be a hassle.  I won't put studs in the floor where vehicle tires will be.

I put threaded anchors in the floor of the garage then bolt it down when I need it.

When I remove it I put nice low button head screws in the holes to protect the threads.

turbojoe78_MA said:
JTX said:

I put threaded anchors in the floor of the garage then bolt it down when I need it.

When I remove it I put nice low button head screws in the holes to protect the threads.

That would be an option.....Hmm.  I'll see how my current setup works over time.

Gitbox said:
JTX, that changer will work MUCH better if it's bolted to the concrete floor. You'll even find it takes less effort too.

I have had my No-Mar Changer bolted to 4' x 4'- 3/4" sheet of plywood doubled up for at least 5 years with zero issue. Well unless I was trying to take a car tire off my nephews GT Mustang rim ( welded on the rim ).

If Space is an issue for people then hitch mount  is an easy solution. You can put it into any 2" receiver even if the receiver is mounted to a post or something in the house. Then when the changer is not in use you just remove the backpost assembly and its stores pretty flat against a wall.

I use the hitch adaptor  only done 3 sets of tires but it works great with the nomar  classic model.