• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

rear brake leaking from piston help please

anthony2008

Mini Bike
2008 14 concours ABS . leaking from one of the pistons that pushes the brake pad , i pulled it out and did not see a seal ? is there one or not i think it got to hot and melted it , anyone know if there is a rebuild kit , or how to seal  it

It sounds like you may have been a victim of a stuck rear brake. Check for rocks around the linkage and a discolored rear rotor. If it got hot enough to cause a seal to leak, you probably also damaged the rotor and pads. I'd probably also change the rear drive fluid just in case it got too hot.

If you have a good dealership that will work with you, you might get it covered under warranty since this is a known issue that already has a recall against.

Even if your dealer doesn't want to help, rebuilding the caliper is easy as, well, easy.  Probably about 20 bucks in seals, some brake fluid and a little time.  Any of the parts houses will have the parts if your dealers prices are too high.

i took it apart , one seal was melted , $14 for all new seals , new brake pads $22 , had rotor checked luck it was fine , changed gear fluid , cleaned out all the gravel from around brake pedel , thanks everyone

I got to this party late... Good to hear you were able to resolve the issue quickly and with minimal expense.  The saved $$$ could be use to pay for COG dues.  ;D