• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear brake spring removel

axxman

Moped
I was reading on the other site about people complaining about the lack of rear brakes on our c14. A couple of guys removed their rear brake return spring and say that it gives you more rear brake feel. Has anyone on this forum done this and does it help. I did a search on the subject but couldn't find anything.
Thanks in advance

No, I never felt the rear brakes on the C14 were bad. I did have an ABS version though. I don't know if that would make a difference.

Cap'n Bob said:
No, I never felt the rear brakes on the C14 were bad. I did have an ABS version though. I don't know if that would make a difference.

I too have the ABS version 09. I feel that the rear brakes are ok but the return spring does feel a bit stiff and doesn't allow you to feel the amount of rear brake you are applying.

Axxman said:
I was reading on the other site about people complaining about the lack of rear brakes on our c14. A couple of guys removed their rear brake return spring and say that it gives you more rear brake feel. Has anyone on this forum done this and does it help. I did a search on the subject but couldn't find anything.
Thanks in advance

I must presume that interest in this particular subject is generated by one who owns and rides a C14.  If this is the case, it begs the question, why don't you spend all of the half hour or so it takes to remove the spring in question, ride the bike, evaluate the spring removal's effectiveness and make your own determination? 

If you want the opinion of others, take a look at the postings by the guy who offered the first suggestion that the rear brake pedal return spring on his ABS equipped '09 was both a hindrance and redundant as the spring within the master cylinder is sufficient to return the pedal to its at rest position. 

Here are the links to those postings:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,30779.msg141912.html#msg141912

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3432.45  (page 3)  Read 556ALPHA's reply as his is the only one by a person who actually removed the spring and put the suggestion to a test.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3432.45  (page2)

These are the only postings I know of that were made by people who took the trouble to remove the spring, ride the bike and know firsthand the result of the modification.  It will take you longer to research the unauthenticated replies to this question than it will for you to remove the spring and check it out yourself.     

My knowledge of this spring's removal is only pertinent to the earlier models without linked brakes.  I have no idea if it has any bearing on the later models with linked brakes.