• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear PR3 toast - 5,300 miles

Here is my rear tire experience over 93,000 miles.

EDIT: I was hoping the PDF attachment would show inline but I guess it does not work that way. I am so lazy. here:

ServiceDate PartsInstalled C14 Milage Tire Miles
10/8/2007 OEM         4066
3/5/2008         Avon Storm 4066 3945
5/18/2008 Michelin PR 2 8011 6400
8/26/2008 Roadsmart 14411 5900
4/8/2009         PR2                 20311 5541
8/3/2009         BT021         25852 4500
2/6/2010         ContiMotion 30352 3356
4/11/2010 Pirelii Angel 33708 7800
9/20/2010 Pirelli Angel 41508 4599
1/28/2011 Shinko Raven 46107 5801
4/19/2011 Pilot Road 2 51908 8338
9/21/2011 Raven         60246 5344
12/13/2011 Shinko Verge 65590 6936
4/8/2012         Verge         72526 6567
6/6/2012         Shinko Raven 79093 5135
8/5/2012         Shinko Verge  84228 6215
11/8/2012 Shinko Advanc 90443 2862
12/30/2012 Shinko Verge 93305

Attachments

• C14reartirehistory.pdf
    25.7 KB · Views: 78
Tire threads rule. No two riders will gett he same wear out of a tire.

No rider will get the same wear unless he travels the same roads at the same lean angles at the same pavement temps throughout the life of the tires being compared.

So just go second to none (Michelins) or run a lessor cheap tire, the choice is yours
crybaby_sign.gif

Russ said:
How are the Shinko's working out??
I like the Verges and rear Raven  very much. The Advance rear works great on my VFR but lasted poorly on the C14. The Verges are my favorite for the C14 ( slightly over Angel STs) as the best compromise between price and mileage. They grip and handle fine. My only gripe is they are hard to install due to the stiff carcass.

Had several sets of PR3's on my RT and ran the rear on the first set til the wear bars were gone. I was unpleasantly amazed when I took it off and found out how paper thin the center tread was that was left. I think a small thorn could poked thru. After that, I changed a bit earlier, but still chose the PR3 over the noisy metzler tires that came stock. Got about 4K on the new Connie, so 'll be trying the 3's on it real soon.

lather said:
Russ said:
How are the Shinko's working out??
I like the Verges and rear Raven  very much. The Advance rear works great on my VFR but lasted poorly on the C14. The Verges are my favorite for the C14 ( slightly over Angel STs) as the best compromise between price and mileage. They grip and handle fine. My only gripe is they are hard to install due to the stiff carcass.

Thanks! 

One thing I have noticed about several tires I have replaced. The wear bars reach the replacement point only on one segment, about 70 degrees, of the circumference while on the other segments it is still good, wasting a lot of good tread. I can only guess that this uneven wear is caused by a lack of balance but I balance my tires myself and usually get them better than the dealers, even trimming weights when necessary. Also I never feel anything while riding that would suggest lack of balance. Could there be manufacturing problems with the molding process?

You could bet safely on manufacturing inaccuracies. Metzler tires are famous in the Wing community for promoting the front end wobble on the GL...mind you, the GL do have an inherent problem with front end wobbling, the the Metz are notorious for making it worse...at least, they were when I was a winddinger.

Put a set of the continental road attacks on 1000 miles ago so far they still
look new. Buddy of mine has been running them
on a FJR for years, gets about 5000 out of the rears, and we ride
back roads in the northwest, at brisk paces :0

Looking at swapping tires right now since the bike is in for major service and some warranty work.  My question was how the mileage compares between the PR2 and PR3 for a lot of highway use.

80% of my riding is super-slab; talking to the dealership and reviewing the Michelin site I plan on going back with PR2's.  The shop has no stake in suggesting one tire over the other (profit wise) and they even suggested the PR2's for how I ride. 

Currently have 11k miles on the current set and the only real reason I am swapping them out is because I am having the TPM sensors replaced under warranty so the labor is "free".  I could push the tires on there for another 2k miles without worry (based on tread and history) but jumping on the chance now.  If I could get 12k out of the PR3 then I would "upgrade" but the limited data I have seen and from what the dealership has suggested, it seems the PR2's fit my useage better but who the hell knows... :(

Allen

I got 15K out of a set of PR2s. Went to PR3s. I picked up a nail on the rear PR3 in Northwest KS. Plugged it and picked up a piece of wire in MT again on the rear PR3. The Pr3s were put on for the trip so they were still pretty low miles. After getting the second hole I felt I should replace the rear tire. The only tire the shop had in C14 size which was a Avon. I could also see the PR3 was not going to last as long as a PR2.

I can't condone putting different tires front and rear but I like the way the PR3 front wears and liked the way the PR2 rear wore........I think I'm going to replace the Avon with a PR2 one of these days when the wallet is a little fatter.

Putting on the PR2's after the stock stones were a huge improvement until the last 2K on them. Putting on PR3's were an improvement over the PR2's the way the bike handled.  my $.02. Tim

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
I thought everyone said these tires lasted a lot longer. Not for me. I just put these on new in June before leaving for the National. I dunno if it's the higher speeds, roads, heat, or what, but I've just about got cord showing on my rear and I'm way past the tread bar indicators. Probably should have been replaced 500 miles or more ago, but I was on a trip. Was worried if the tire would even get me home. The left side of the tire is worn much more than the right. Normally my tires wear pretty even, but not this one. I pushed it pretty hard in Colorado this last week, and the edges of the tread blocks are scalloped, but I expected that.

I guess I'm just a little surprised. I got this many miles out of the Pirellis. I was hoping for better. Oh well, time to order some new ones.

Fred, I have responded to your comments on Michelin PR3s before, stating that I got 8,500 miles out of the Z-rated rear tire on my C14 (front tire was fine, but I change both at the same time). I travel a lot. Do 17,000+ miles per year. Carry a lot of camping gear, plus 150+ of clothes, electronic gear, tools, etc ... plus I'm very heavy. My most recent experience with Michelin PR3s was 9,500 miles out of the Z-rated rear tire. I guess there is a big difference between Z & W rated PR3s.
Rich

As I understand, the intent of the PR3 was to make a tire that was a similar design to the PR2 but offered a slightly higher performance tire with better wet-weather performance.  If I misunderstand, please advise.

I just but new tires on my 2009 and went with another set of PR2's.  My last set was not "gone" that is, there were no cords showing with the front descent and the rear a bit slick in the center.  Biggest reason to the swap now is that I figured they would get unserviceable by the fall, I had 10k miles on them and I managed to save on labor since the TPMS sensors were being swapped under warranty.

I had zero complaints with the PR2's and they are cheaper than the 3's.  My top priority is highway milage with good twisty performance and unless Michelin chimes in, it would seem that the PR2's are better suited for my type of use...

Allen

42/42 is recommended.  I run 44/44 and I believe that yields higher mileage. 2 psi more as a percentage is not much.