• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear shimmy shimmy shake

Paintman2468

Hi all heres what i have a 99 Connie 39k on clock tires have 3k on them rt now. sat while riding the bike just kept getting looser in the rear everytime i would go into a turn bike felt like it would fall over opn it self and would not hold a line. i stopped checked tire pressure 38 ft 41 rear. i made it home then put bike up on rack.
everything felt fine.

I pulled side cover and checked the shock pressure it was 0 ::). found teh schrader valave went south i replced it filled to 39 psi . i let it sit a day rechecked no pressure drop. went tofr a ride still feels like im on frozen gravel. im wondering if shock got damaged with no air in it and its just a good excuse to upgrade it now. rear wheel bearing s are smooth front are fine. no cupping on tires. any suggestions greatly appreciated thanks John

Just to be sure, the pressure in the shock stayed up after the ride?  Low pressure in that shock will cause that feeling.

Also so will uneven amounts of oil in the front shocks, bad bearings, going flat tire.  I know you checked most of that so I am lost now.

Check all four of your engine mount bolts. If any one of them (especially one of the front bolts) are broken or missing it can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

Dan

Will do Dan the rear shock is toast leaking bad so it will get a new progressive unit il ck the engine bolts tomorrow.
Thanks John

John_Pondish_SD said:
Hi all heres what i have a 99 Connie 39k on clock tires have 3k on them rt now. sat while riding the bike just kept getting looser in the rear everytime i would go into a turn bike felt like it would fall over opn it self and would not hold a line. i stopped checked tire pressure 38 ft 41 rear. i made it home then put bike up on rack.
everything felt fine.

I pulled side cover and checked the shock pressure it was 0 ::). found teh schrader valave went south i replced it filled to 39 psi . i let it sit a day rechecked no pressure drop. went tofr a ride still feels like im on frozen gravel. im wondering if shock got damaged with no air in it and its just a good excuse to upgrade it now. rear wheel bearing s are smooth front are fine. no cupping on tires. any suggestions greatly appreciated thanks John

Before you replace the shock try replacing the suspension oil if there is any in there to replace! Remove the shock let all the air out then open it up and see what leaks out. If there is less then about 6.5 ounces of fluid you might just have to do a refill.  Worth a try rather than spending $400.00 on a new progressive or even more on others.

I put a Progressive shock on 10yrs ago and 60 thou miles ago and did't touch it again until this summer to put Steve's 7th gear mod in. Just cleaned it up and reinstalled it. May have it rebuilt in the next yr or 2.

Ok heres what i found i pulled rear shock it had full amount of oil in it still holding air  it is DEAD i checked engine mount bolts all are fine so it new shock time.appreciate the tips Guys Thank you was hoping for a cheaper alternative lol but we get to up grade now so all is good

Thanks John

I would still do a complete chassis integrity check including the following:

01) Steering head bearings. Make sure they are just this side of too tight.

02) Swing arm pivot bearings. Preload them for zero play under load (torque to 20 ft.lbs. as per manual).

03) All engine mount bolts (all of them) wrung down tight and not broken (you've already checked these and are okay).

04) Both wheel bearings in perfect condition (checked while off the motorcycle).

05) Tire pressures at max as molded on the sidewalls. Reduce slightly on front if need be for handling.

06) Both tires balanced perfectly (static AND dynamic).

07) Get rid of any weight behind the rear axle (remove top box if you have one, etc.).

It is a good idea to just go down this list and be sure all is well. Outside of a known front fork torsional weakness, the Concours chassis lends itself to tight handling if all of the aforementioned items are in check.

Dan