• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear Shock Air Amount

alekkas

Street Cruiser
Hi all.

On another thread, got this from Chipdoc.  Rather than highjack, thought I'd ask here.

On the kickstand being too tall:
"That part is easy to fix, Alekkas!  Pop off the right hand middle fairing - the one on the right side under the saddle.  You'll find an air valve just like a tire.  Put 40-50 lbs of air in that thing and the bike will sit right up and suddenly your kickstand will be the right length."

My wife took a short ride and liked the comfort level.  Dampening is on 2 (I know it should be higher, but she likes a soft ride) On my air gauge, it was at 10PSI

So Chipdoc and everyone else:

I filled and leveled at 25PSI

Do I check air level with a simple air gauge (as accurate as I have)?

If she prefers it down around 10, which I think she will, will it cause damage?

Any fear of early wear by changing air pressure frequently depending on the ride plans for the day?

Sorry for all the questions.  New to the bike - and air shocks.  Any help appreciated.

The Owners Manual rates it between 15 - 50 psi with a warning to not go above 70 psi lest the seals be damaged.  More for a heavy load, less for a lighter one.

I wouldn't think that less than 15 would actually hurt anything, but I don't really know.

The problem with checking the pressure in the shock is that the air volume is TINY.  The little you use to check the pressure will drop the pressure by several pounds.

Solution 1:  Get an air pump (with gauge) designed for suspensions.  Here's one I've been watching on Ebay.  These let you pump up the pressure, see what you are at, bleed off any extra, and disconnect without losing any of the pressure.  Look carefully before you buy one, as many of them have gauges for 0~300 psi, which won't have the resolution you want for the Concours shock.  The one in the link goes 0~60 psi.

Solution 2:  If you have an air compressor with a regulator, set the regulator to the pressure you want and use the hose to fill your shock.

Owner's manual states a minimum of 14 psi on the rear shock.  I'm 220lbs, and I have about 20 lbs in there.

Put motorcycle on centerstand to remove weight off the rear wheel when adjusting shock pressure.

Thanks.  I have a PDF manual now and can see what you all are saying. 

Going get it on the center stand and start experimenting. 

Mcfly said:
Owner's manual states a minimum of 14 psi on the rear shock.  I'm 220lbs, and I have about 20 lbs in there.

Guess I should pump mine up a bit, just swapped out to 15w oil this winter and only had 10 psi in there for the shake down run.  In my old Harley I would run at 0psi solo and 12 psi 2-up and loaded down, guess I still need to get use to this bike.

I have to get a decent suspension pump as well.  My compressor does the job, but it's
probably easier and more accurate with the proper tools.  With both side bags not quite full,
the trip to Daytona seemed fine with the same 20 lbs.  I haven't fully loaded up the bike yet,
so I don't know where I stand on that.... yet!

Not knowing about the center stand, I'll never really know where it was originally. Probably below 10 

Last night I got it at just over 20.  Not too different on the pretty straight line ride to work.  Maybe a little stiffer - but probably just in my head.
After getting a better feel for this, I'm going to give 30 a try.

I am curious to see how long / miles it holds this pressure before losing some air.

I believe adding air will change the spring rate a small amount, as the air will act like a spring when it gets compressed. So yes there is some effect.

For a completely different point of view, I think the air is mostly a preload adjustment, and less about a spring rate adjustment. Learn to measure the static sag on the rear suspension and set the PSI of air pressure so that you get the proper ride height for YOU on YOUR bike for what YOU weigh with gear on, etc. This will be the amount of air YOU want to run. The change in spring rate will be what it will be. IMO.