• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear shock preload adjuster

jwolffie

Bicycle
I have a 2011 and when I try to adjust the rear shock preload adjuster I can only get 8 clicks from my preload adjuster, 1 click per full turn of the knob. Is this normal? I got the bike used. ( the remote adjuster, not the slot on the shock )
Thanks.

Google this, it's a common occurrence with the 14 stock shock, there is an O ring that can swell..  I forget the fix but if I recall it's pretty easy

Get some good quality spray lubricant (NOT WD 40) and spray it under the head of the knob and it will free it up. Silicone spray lubricant, or Liquid Wrench Dry Slide works well for this.

As for clicks, my 2010 OEM shock gives me two clicks per revolution. I don't remember for sure, but I think my 08 shock did the same.

- mine was seized (2012 model). Replaced with a complete new shock unit under warranty. Its a known defect - some owners have had 2 or 3 units replaced on the trot.

- no amount of oiling will help a seized unit (one unit was soaked overnight in oil without any improvement).

- new units come with a rubber balloon over the adjuster.

dog said:
- mine was seized (2012 model). Replaced with a complete new shock unit under warranty. Its a known defect - some owners have had 2 or 3 units replaced on the trot.

- no amount of oiling will help a seized unit (one unit was soaked overnight in oil without any improvement).

- new units come with a rubber balloon over the adjuster.

Yes, once the threads are galled beyond the point of no return, no amount of lube will help. But if you lube them early on at the first indication of sticking, you can prevent the thread damage from occurring.

flooded mine with Liquid Wrench this morning, worked it in ran the knob in and out many times and it is so much better. Hope it stays good....

I got it working but it has 6 clicks of free play before the adjuster on the shock moves. Is the free play normal?

jwolffie said:
I got it working but it has 6 clicks of free play before the adjuster on the shock moves. Is the free play normal?

This may vary some bike to bike, depending on how much air in the line and preload adjuster. The first two or three clicks on mine feel real soft, and then after about the third click I can feel it starting to get some resistance when I turn it.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Get some good quality spray lubricant (NOT WD 40) and spray it under the head of the knob and it will free it up. Silicone spray lubricant, or Liquid Wrench Dry Slide works well for this.

As for clicks, my 2010 OEM shock gives me two clicks per revolution. I don't remember for sure, but I think my 08 shock did the same.
Thanks Fred, it is working now.

The reason to NOT use WD 40 is because it has oil in it, and rubber does not like oil, oil makes rubber swell up and stick. Use silicone based lube, it is rubber friendly.

1882 said:
Why is WD-40 a bad idea? Worked wonders for mine

WD 40 is NOT a lubricant, it is a solvent, and is mainly composed of mineral spirits. The MSDS for WD40 lists it as containing 45%-50% Aliphatic Hydrocarbons, which is the same thing mineral spirits is made from. Solvents break down and wash away any existing lubricant.  It may initially appear to lubricate sticking parts simply because of the liquid content of the mineral spirits, but once it evaporates, all your original lubricant will have been dissolved and washed away, and all you'll be left with is a sticky goo in its place. It has a similar effect as applying gasoline would to try to lubricate a part.

What is needed here is a true lubricant. Liquid wrench make some nice spray lubes. This is what I used on my rear shock preload adjuster, and it worked perfectly and the adjuster has continued to operate smooth for over a year now with just one application.

lw_drylube_hres.jpg

Which just reinforces that WD 40 was never meant to be used as a lubricant in the first place. It was a water dispersing agent, mainly composed of mineral spirits, which is a solvent.

My adjuster completly seized the first time I tried to do anything on my 2012 GTR.  Sprayed some Inox up there and got an oil filter strap wrench on the adjuster knob.  Once it broke free I soaked the thing in Inox, turned adjuster full in/out quite a few times - narry a problem since.

How does the rear preload setup come from the factory? I have a 1month old 2012 and have not touched my rear setting. Is there a thread showing how far to unwind how far to crank back? A little in the dark on this issue? 180lbs average riding style.

Bartman said:
How does the rear preload setup come from the factory? I have a 1month old 2012 and have not touched my rear setting. Is there a thread showing how far to unwind how far to crank back? A little in the dark on this issue? 180lbs average riding style.

- its in the manual somewhere and iirc , its 12 clicks out for the pre-load adjuster.

Bartman said:

Most of the time the bike comes from the dealership with almost zero turns on the adjuster. I published an article in the summer Concourier about how to set up your suspension with a chart for various weight riders.

At 180 lbs, you probably need about 15 clicks on the rear pre-load adjuster.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Most of the time the bike comes from the dealership with almost zero turns on the adjuster. I published an article in the summer Concourier about how to set up your suspension with a chart for various weight riders.

Summer of 2012? I don't see that issue in the online list. I am a paid member finally and all I can say is "wow, a lot of reading to catch up on. Thanks Fred for the help with my Gold Wing and now with the Concours. (I like the Concours better!)

jwolffie said:
Fred_Harmon_TX said:

Summer of 2012? I don't see that issue in the online list. I am a paid member finally and all I can say is "wow, a lot of reading to catch up on. Thanks Fred for the help with my Gold Wing and now with the Concours. (I like the Concours better!)

Yea, we are a couple issues behind on getting the Concouriers posted to the archive. Check back in a week or two.

[/quote]

. I published an article in the summer Concourier about how to set up your suspension with a chart for various weight riders.

At 180 lbs, you probably need about 15 clicks on the rear pre-load adjuster.
[/quote]

Where can I find this "Summer Concourier" resource that I may read this article?

nando said:
Where can I find this "Summer Concourier" resource that I may read this article?

The Summer 2012 Concourier is now loaded in the Library. You must be a COG member to get to it.

1. Go to http://cog-online.org

2. Click on Member Area on the black Menu Bar

3. Log on with your user ID and password.

4. Now Click on Member Links on the Black Menu Bar

5. Now select Library from the menu

6. Now Click on Concourier Archives (7th item down)

Note: Some of the earlier files are password protected. You'll need to pay close attention to any pop-up windows you get (make sure your pop up blocker is turned off) because the password is provided in the pop up alert box.

Fred, you da man bro! thanks so much. I am actually learning what is 'suspension'...'preciate it  :great: