• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear shock service questions

greg.m784

Street Cruiser
^-^

Yup, i'm back at it.

I pulled my rear shock tonight and clean it up.  Looks dry, not leaking.  Overall in very good condition.  Cleaned all the linkage, preparing to drain and refill.

I set it up in a stand to drain into Murph's cup.  After 30 minutes, it's stopped dripping.  I've got 8 ounces out of the shock.  I'm going to let it sit over night and see where we get.

Are there any tricks to getting the last 1.5 ounces out?  I understand these are supposed to have 9.5 ounces total.

The color of the oil is roughly the same as black coffee.  Normal?  I doubt it's been serviced since new.  Is the kawi oil supposed to be the same color as the oil from Murph's? 

:motonoises:

I'll try that when i get home today, also, it'll be about 95 here today, so maybe that will assist. :)  overnight i got about 1/2 ounce more out of the shock.  we'll see how it looks tonight.

Thanks!

9.5 ounces?  :D

Murph's kit comes with 8 ounces.  I drained a hair over 8 (about 8.5ounces) out of the shock (dripped for 24hrs), cleaned everything up and put the 8 ounces of new oil in and took it for a ride after lubing all pivots.

WOW  what a ride difference.  used to ride on 40psi and #4 one up to get a nice ride, now i'm at 40psi & #2.  It is still a little harsh.  I could probably bleed a couple pounds of air out to accomplish a more coosh ride. 

I highly recommend this rear shock service!