• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear shock ..

danny sparks

I have fitted a C 14 shock to my c10... my question is when you turn the black nob .does it go in and out while  turning...as iam Suspicious that the piston inside is seized or does the black knob stay static and push on something  Internally...also iam not getting any clicks while turning..cheers chaps

The knob only rotates.  The hex adjuster travels up & down within the hollow knob.

NGs5Xx8.jpg

The 'not getting any clicks' would be because the 2 small balls and springs are stuck in their bore in the underside of the knob, as water collects therein, causing the knob to seize as happened to this used series 2 unit I got to replace my leaking series 1 shocky.  Some-one attacked it with a pair of large multigrips, as you can see.  I dismantled it to free it up but then fitted the series 1 adjuster to it as I couldn't live with the look of it.

Series 1 knob below.  They don't seize up.
RWShPZa.jpg

Honda's solution to prevent a seized knob - fit a square section O ring to keep the water out.
46bLMWi.jpg

That’s great information mate...it appears that I have a mark 1ajuster..can I remove the top and service the inside..is there anything that I need to no....cheers Danny

I haven't had the early type apart nor have I seen reports of it needing to be done, unlike the later version.

If the knob is turned fully clockwise the spring will be compressed by about 10mm.

Freddy, how does the adjuster compress the spring?
Is it mechanical, or is it compressing hydraulic fluid to move the spring?

Ride safe, Ted