• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear View Mirror Solution

John C

Tricycle
The mirror on the C14 doesn't seem to be able to be set to see directly behind the bike.  I see about 1" of control levers on each side.  I think I could get rear ended easily and never see it coming (I'm a retired MSF Rider Coach so I think about things like this  :motonoises:).

I've been thinking about convex mirrors at the outer ends of each mirror, but haven't found 1 1/2"D mirrors.  I think Wally World has a spot for this size, but at least at the store I've been in, it's empty.

Do others have this issue, and if so, any solutions.

Thanks,

John C

What year bike?

I know on the '08 & '09 you were looking at the bags (Clyde as a fix for that).

On my '10, the bar weight was blocking the exact spot I would expect to see a car.  I added risers, which inadvertently solved the problem.

C1xRider said:
What year bike?

I know on the '08 & '09 you were looking at the bags (Clyde as a fix for that).

<snip>

:rotflmao: Your kidding right!  :rotflmao: OK maybe, but where would you mount the Ferris wheel?

John C said:
The mirror on the C14 doesn't seem to be able to be set to see directly behind the bike.  I see about 1" of control levers on each side.  I think I could get rear ended easily and never see it coming (I'm a retired MSF Rider Coach so I think about things like this  :motonoises:).

I've been thinking about convex mirrors at the outer ends of each mirror, but haven't found 1 1/2"D mirrors.  I think Wally World has a spot for this size, but at least at the store I've been in, it's empty.

Do others have this issue, and if so, any solutions.

Thanks,

John C

Try mounting these on the top of the mirrors!

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/240_mirror_accessories/32586_gl1800_gl1500_blind_spot_mirror_mini_air/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F240_goldwing_mirror_accessories%2Fdes%2F

Capt'n Bob,  Have you or others tried the Gold Wing mirrors you noted in your post?  I could use the hand protection also if they can mount above the stock mirrors.

To answer others, the bike is a 2011.

Thanks,

John C

I personally have not tried them. But others have. I'm surprised that your having problems with the mirrors on a 2011.

Hand Protectors - from the Farkle directory in the accessory section!

Baker Air Wings http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/kawasaki.html
http://www.hippohands.com/Hippo%20Hands.htm
Motax (France)  http://www.motax.fr/sommaire_Kawasaki/accessoires_1400_GTR/1400_GTR__deflecteurs/1400_gtr__deflecteurs.html
Projekt D  http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_58&products_id=178

John C said:
To answer others, the bike is a 2011.

I don't think there is any real issue with the newer ones, other than having the bar weight in the middle of your view.  As I said, handle bar riser blocks solved that for me.

When I first jumped on my 2010, I also thought I was looking at the bags.  However, I played around with the mirror adjustment (center of view aimed to see car behind and beside me), and determined I could see pretty much everything I need to behind me.

If it really bothers you, then add the extra mirrors they put on some of the police bikes.

The mirrors are fine IMO.  Depending on which tire track you ride in might make things behind you more or less visible.  Last time I looked if I ride in the oil strip in the center of the lane that is the only time I cannot see behind me.  I can see the bags in my mirrors on my'08 but I can also see the cars right over the bags.  You could probably go to the auto parts store and buy those silver dollar sized stick on mirrors and put them on top of the stock mirror.  May I am just so used to the HD mirrors that vibrate so bad you can never use them.

C1xRider said:
I don't think there is any real issue with the newer ones, other than having the bar weight in the middle of your view.  As I said, handle bar riser blocks solved that for me.

I wonder if this is rider height dependent.  I didn't have the issue, I put on risers, I don't have the issue.  I'm tall, but leggy, so my torso isn't unusually tall or anything.

I've been running the GL1800 mirrors on my '09 for over a year.  They are superb for me. 

Colt45 said:
I've been running the GL1800 mirrors on my '09 for over a year.  They are superb for me.

I'd love to see a picture of GoldWing mirrors mounted on a Concours.

Clyde Ransom made some mirror lifts for the 08/09 bikes to raise them up. Some folks don't like the looks of them, but they were very effective, and greatly enhanced the visibility to the rear of the bike. It got them up enough so you no longer were looking at the bags in the mirrors all the time. I have some photos of them on line here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/mirrorlifts

medium.jpg

wildkaw said:
What about the police setup Concours they have extra mirrors on the hand bars?

Some do, I've seen them.  I searched a little for a picture when I posted that suggestion earlier, but nothing came up right away.

The one I saw had a bracket that replaced the cap for the lever clamps, that had a threaded hole for a screw in mirror, the kind with the long stem and a round or rectangular mirror at the end of it.  Maybe that clamp replacement cap is somewhat universal?

Probity Cycle Incorporated
260 S Alma School Rd, Mesa, AZ 85210

They are going to start selling to the public. 
I've called for pricing they will call back later on today.
They where asking about group buy?
Not sure how to do that here?

George at Probity just returned my call.
They are going to sell most of there part to the public.
He is getting a part list and price together. 
The mirrors are $105.85 other the door shipped for the set.