• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Recommendations for GPS and Blue tooth in Neotec

Tim R

I'm looking at getting a Zumo GPS which has blue tooth to play music to a set of speakers in the helmet. I don't care about making phone calls because I'm not tied to a cell phone anymore. A cell phone for me is to have in case of emergency mostly so it's not real smart.

What I'm looking for for advise on which Zumo, which blue tooth speaker set up works best. As noted in the title I have a NeoTech. I am pondering the speakers with the air pump to seal the speakers against wind noise. Thanks in advance, Tim

I use an original set of Uclear100 com units.  Each of us get to hear our own music and we can talk if we want.  If you just got a single unit it may allow you to hear your music and GPS but I think once I pair to a second headset I can not do the GPS.  I would check to be sure it would do both.  At least com units are an idea of how to get the sound up.

I have the Sena 20S, and recommend it highly.  This is a higher-end BT ($229 through Amazon), but has lots of great features.  Sound is awesome, it has a FM radio built in, controllable through a handlebar remote (optional, but I love it!).  The 20S is also great for helmet-helmet communication with others, and can be configured with a smartphone app or hands-free voice communication.

+1 on the Sena 20S paired with the handlebar remote. Works like a champ. Allows multiple connections, if using with friends having similar BT Commo gear, you have bike to bike commo as well. Allows for expansion with some other products too.

JD

+1 on Sena, I have the SMH-10 from Sena on my Neotec and works great.  I rarely listen to music as 99% of the time riding with my wife so we use to talk, but I have a Zumo and it will give me directions via the Sena.

Have had the unit for ~5+ years and still going strong.  Speakers and boom mic fits great in the helmet, good sound, and haven't had any issues. 

I haven't tried streaming music from the Zumo, but the few times I have listened to music I have streamed from my phone and no issues.  I would imagine it to be similar streaming from the Zumo. '

I think people that use it mainly for music upgrade the speakers for better sound, but I ride with earplugs and sound is fine (likely without ear plugs the wind noise would lower the sound quality).

I, too, have a Neotec and I'm running the Zumo 590LM through a Cardo G9x.  Love the Neotec, love the Zumo, disappointed with the Cardo.  I've had it about 15 months.  Not enough radio volume with ear plugs in, Zumo directions are very fuzzy and difficult to pick up (it's perfectly clear with the built-in car speaker), too many fiddly buttons responsible for too many commands.  Seems like I'm riding half the time with my left hand against the side of my helmet trying to control something.  And on the way home from Helen I could swear the right side speaker was cutting in and out.  In hindsight, I should have taken my time with this purchase but wanted something for the trip to Cortez last year.  Since then, folks with Sena systems seem to be much happier.  Might be time to list in the Emporium.  Or Ebay.

I imagine someone with a G9x will say it's the best thing since sliced bread. Not my experience though.  As always, YMMV.         

I forgot to note in my reply that the GPS model I have is the Zumo 660LM, and this is my first season with it, but thus far I have been very happy.  I find it is easy to use, Bluetooth to the Sena was snap, and connects everytime I turn them both on, haven't had issues with routes, I do custom routes with Basecamp with no problems (seems to be most people hate Basecamp, I am a software/tech guy, and although it is not the most intutive software initially, it works ok for me now). 

Negatives are the screen gets washed out in bright sunlight (I'm not looking at it that much though, use mostly for audio directions, occasionally checking speed, etc), updates take 1-2 hours (But it has free for life). 

I got it on sale over the winter, I think I paid $400 CAD, I might be less happy if I had paid the MSRP of $599 US on the Garmin website.

I have a Zumo 660LM & Scala G9. Never a single problem & the volume is great. I have 60% hearing loss in one ear & still only have it at 3/4 volume. The 660LM lets me listen to music, Answer phone calls & talk to other riders. I just got hooked up with XM so now I have 180 channels plus weather nav & traffic nav. The weather nav works good & lets you see the weather on a radar map & also gives you alerts to bad weather/high wind. As far as the G9 I did have problems with the original cradle speakers & went threw 2 cradles. I finally upgraded to the G9X cradle & have had no problems & the speakers are a big upgrade. 

Sounds like there are some systems that really work. Keep em coming so I can buy once and buy right. While I'm not totally broke I am retired. Tim