• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

RED C-14 is my Boat

Tim R

First post, here goes. First, I grew up in Colorado and retired from the Navy at Whidbey Is. in 93. I was hired by the Town I live in with only about 6 more years before I retire again. I live on the east side of the Cascades with the Columbia River 6 blocks away from my house. I hunt and fish and decided I needed a boat. I figured I needed a cuddy cabin about 22 feet long, V8, Mercuiser. (no Bayliners) So I started looking. The price of gas went up and up and up. One day I decided a boat would cost $100.00 in gas just to get the hull wet. Heck, what about a motorcycle? The last bike I had was a 75 900 Kawasaki which was stolen in 1976. I bought it used after my 1974 900 was stolen in 1975. After the 75 was stolen the wife said no more. After 30 years of raising kids, I typed in 1975 Kaw 900 and one shows up in Butt MT. I explain to the wife why no boat. (she was against it anyways) I got the 900 and brought it home. It was in fair shape and after much work, e-bay and $ the old 900 runs great. I got a 100% on the driving test and off I went. Sundays become my ride day with friends. We have the east side of Washington State well explored. (I got the Z-1 with 6059 miles on it. It had been stored in a garage. Today it has 16,500 miles on it and has never left me standing on the side of the road.) A non riding friend of mine asks about a couple of bikes being sold by an older couple to are moving to warmer weather. I go and visit them and the old man has a 86 Concours. I never knew Kawasaki even made such a thing and I was very interested. So I start reading about the Concours. About the same time there is talk Kawasaki is putting out a new Concours. Then the C-14 was released....I was smitten but I don't care for Silver. I was able to speak to 3 C-14 owners and they had nothing bad to say about the bike. A test ride on a 08 didn't help. Last December I called around and found a deal on a Red 09. I picked the bike up between snow storms and it sat in my garage with 2 miles on the clock for 1 1/2 months. I could not stand it any more, cold weather be dammed and now am about 25 miles away from getting the 6000 rpm break in limit. This bike is just plain sick to say the least. Break in? The first 500 miles is stuck at no more then 4000 RPM. In overdrive at 4000 RPM this bike is doing 85 MPH on the clock. I have noticed my current MPG when selected on the dash, has gone from high 30's into the low 40's running the same route/speeds. I've read the C-14 handles better with PR'2 over OEM tires. Comming from a old Z-1, I think the bike does very well the way it is. But then again I haven't pushed anything. I have riden up to another town which has a few twistys on the way up and found I was more confident on the 14. (There was a heavy relearning curve on the Z-1. But I don't leave any chicken strips on the Z-1 either. I've managed to chase down a couple of squids on roads I know well.) C-14's are also very smooth, it's like driving a chair with handle bars. I'm sure I will be joining COG. I'm going on the Bun Cooler ride in May just to see how I fit in. Best TimR

Tim, welcome to the club,red is the fastest color so you already WAY ahead of the others. I saw the 09 C14 in red at the NY show,,its a sweet color for sure. I love boats also but as someone said a long time ago a boat is a hole in the water you pour $$ into ;) I think you will be much happier with the bike !!! Enjoy and ride safe!! CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Tim, Welcome to the forum and do try a rally. I think you will find you fit in. I hope you get to ride more soon. Weather is bugging everyone it seems. I wish I had a boat and 5 bikes but I guess my one old c10 has to do for now. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Avast ye swabs! Norm is rite re boats. Enjoy the new toy! 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh Over the Pond 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
y6xlq5.jpg
yrf2z1.jpg
yr5ihh.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

Tim, Take a look at the National Rally, Shiftin & Grinnin, at Fontana Village, NC this June. Beautiful roads (best twisties in the country) and lots of nice people to meet. We all love the Concours, so how can you not fit in?

Welcome Tim... I am lusting after the 09 C14 in Red. Although I may wait to see it in Blue or Kawi Green. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Hi Tim, I've been drooling over a gorgeous red '09 C-14 for several months now in my local dealer's showroom. It's a beautiful bike and I'm sure you'll love it! Enjoy, ride safe, and welcome to the group!

I'm sure I will be joining COG. I'm going on the Bun Cooler ride in May just to see how I fit in.
Excellent! :) Looking forward to seeing you there, you will be in good company. Colin Prior Cogmos Administrator Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg