• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Removing Front Fender

mikew

Bicycle
The brake line clips are proving impossible to remove. I read Murph's instructions (installing fender extender) but my finger tip is sore after a couple minutes.  Any clever ideas?  I wonder if the dealer considers these disposable/replacement items.

Perseverance and needle nose pliers work every time (eventually).  I've had mine off a couple of times, and each time was a test of patience.  I think I'm wearing them down (literally), so next time should be easier.  ;D

I used a long flat blade screwdriver to push on them from underneath the fender.  It took a couple of tries, but I found that I could get the leverage that I need and the force that I wanted with that instead of my fingers.

-David
Athens, GA

MikeW said:
The brake line clips are proving impossible to remove. I read Murph's instructions (installing fender extender) but my finger tip is sore after a couple minutes.  Any clever ideas?  I wonder if the dealer considers these disposable/replacement items.

I was never able to get them off with needle nose or screwdriver from the inside...  BUT, I did discover how to get them off from the outside...  Hard to describe in words, but if the two 'arms' of the clip are at say 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, then use a small flat bladed screwdriver, from the outside of the fender, to push the one at 3 o'clock toward the center, and while doing that, tilt the whole pin so the 3 o'clock side is coming out while the 9 o'clock side is pushing in.  If you wiggle it a bit like this, the 3 o'clock arm will pop out, then the other one follows easily.  I've used this process several times.  But what a nuisance!!!

After reading all I could about removing the front fender, I got all of the tools and some silicone spray out in preparation for what was likely going to be difficult at best.

After realizing the worst that could happen would be that I would break a brake line clip, I grabbed the needle nose pliers and instead of trying to squeeze the clip inside of the fender, I did a variation on what Tim posted above. I sprayed some silicone spray on the clip and grabbed the circular part of the clip that the brake line goes through at the 3:00 position and gave a pull. The right side of the clip popped right out and then the left side slipped right out. It was not a big deal and nothing was damaged. Thanks to all for their words of advice.

You did remove the bolts to lift the fender first, right?  Once you do it's a simple matter of pressing one side of the clip down and toward the other side - rather than trying to "pinch" the two sides together.  It's all in technique.  Once you've managed it once you realize it's pretty easy.

If you are asking me, yes I removed all 4 bolts. The fender would not move upwards far enough to get close to the tangs on the inside of the fender. I was simply saying that a light tug off to one side and the clip slipped right out. There are plenty of mentions here that lead me to believe this was going to be a bloody battle with the clips.

I used to tilt the fender and use a small socket from beneath to push the tabs together.  Comes right out with no hassle.  I seem to have need to remove my front accoutrements quite often so I stopped  re-installing the clips.  To date, nothing bad has happened.

I removed the 4 bolts and then used a 6mm socket on a screw driver handle and applied a little pressure on the retainer clip and easily removed the brake line clip with my free hand.

needle nose work great with 12000 miles i have changed front tires 3 times and soon the 4th so i would say needle nose all the way