• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Replacement radiator Hoses

connie_rider

I recall that there used to be a crossover list of C-10 radiator Hoses to hoses used on cars, that are available from Auto parts Stores.
Does anyone know where I can see that list?

Setting here during the Virus mess.
Thought I'd swap over the hoses if I can get some locally.
If not, will order.
Suggestions, on where I can get some quickly? {other than from  Mother Kawasaki}

Ride safe, Ted

From forum search here on COG website:

Engine radiator hoses From Michael Thompson    NAPA hoses:  NAPA #7741 (Gates 21029, 2000 Suzuki Swift Lower Hose) 1"/25.4mm ID  This one gets cut into several pieces to replace the hoses at the front of the engine to the water pump.    NAPA #H151 (1"/25.4mm ID bulk hose)  This is a straight hose. A piece a foot long is more than enough to replace the straight hose from the thermostat housing to the filler assembly.    The final hose, from the filler to the top of the radiator, I bought from a local dealer. P/N 39062-1164 Some have said that a second NAPA #7741 will work there, but I didn't like the way it looked there.

Also engine radiator cap  (32mm ID x 16mm deep neck)  0.9bar / 13psi  Same as 1978 Ford Fiesta Carquest :33028 (Guy B. Young II)  Stant: 10227 (boxed) (Guy B. Young II)  Stant: 11227 (blister pack) (Guy B. Young II)  Stant: 10229 (Bryan Moody)  CST: 7013 (Bryan Moody)  Motorcraft: RS62 (Bryan Moody)  Motorcraft: RC19 (Bryan Moody)  Beck/Arnley: 133-8060 (Bryan Moody)  Beck/Arnley: 133-8078 (Bryan Moody)  Gates: 31527 (Bryan Moody)  AC-Delco: RC19 (Bryan Moody) 49085-1053

From Murph's site this reference for consideration if rolling your own from NAPA:

"There is a NAPA hose (pn 7741) you can buy, and cut some of the parts out that "fit", and some straight hose for some of the other pieces as well. However, in my experience, they are oversized "just" enough to cause some grief. If you do go with the NAPA hoses, upgrade to the widest hose clamp you can fit."

Food for thought. His price for OEM parts would buy a lot of security and peace of mind on the road!

Lee said:
Bye de bye, what is service interval for hose replacement as a preventative measure?

I inspected mine whenever the fairing was off. The key hose to watch is near the exhaust down tubes. I wrapped mine with heavy duty aluminum foil to help reflect the heat.

I used to do hoses at 5 years but have come to find that 10 years worked out fine if using good quality hoses. The cheapo brands don't get used on my equipment. Almost always OEM or Gates.

Thanks all.
I was tired of setting here doing nothing, and wanted to go pick up the hoses today.  :-[

But, that warning from Murph was enough for me. I sent him a note and will get the hoses from "Murph's".
Shoulda done that in the first place, as Gary really supports the club. :great:

Note; These are the original hoses on my 2003.
            I seldom ride this bike, but I crank it regularly and let it set and idle.
            When doing so, I imagine the hoses nearest the head pipes get pretty hot as there is no air flow in that area.
              The failure occurred while the bike was setting and idling.
          After the failure, I removed the plastic to look at the hoses.
          I discovered that the 2 hoses nearest the head pipes are pretty swollen, and 1 had burst.
            All others looked fine.

Ride safe, Ted

SteveJ. said:

I wrapped mine with heavy duty aluminum foil to help reflect the heat.
you can use the same foil on your exhuast pipes if you cant get it around the hose due to location.I can wrap my hand around my pipes when engine is fully warmed up and not burn my fingers at all.for the price it beats the hell out of that exhaust wrap material that is priced like gold.works best if you crinkle it up good to get more air space inbetween wraps.

I had the one behind the head pipes start leaking on day 2 of a week long trip. I was able to get a section of heater hose at Napa and completed the trip, plus a year. I then replaced the whole set from Murph's. Don't forget to put on the ty-wrap on the two behind the headers. It gives it a little more clearance to the pipes.

Thanks JPD, good point.

At 1 point in this bikes life, I built/installed big tube headers on the bike.
Used Tye Wraps to keep the hoses away..
Later I removed the headers and forgot to add the Tye wraps again.
Which brings me to now.

By the way; Murph came thru for me {again} and is shipping me hoses now.
                    Great guy!  :great:

Ride safe, Ted