• FORUM NAME - If you are a COG Member and your user name does not match your name in the old forum or you just want a new one, you can now change it on your own. Read the Details Here

• If you are a current COG Member or Forum Subscriber and this is your first visit to our new site and forum, please go to www.concour.org and follow the instructions at the top of the page to activate your account and gain access to your site and forum.
  • Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Replacing the rear shock

bmidd

Takes 15 minutes to remove. I had mine re-sprung and valved for me by Jamie Daugherty at DMR Motorsports. Can't remember the total off hand, but it was ~$300. Made all the difference in the world.
The website is lacking, but he responds to email inquiries via the Contact section or just call him.

kzz1king

Shock is 305 plus 15 shipping. Forks with OEM seals are 440 and 25 shipping. Shipping to is your dime.
Revalved and new springs and set up on suspension dyno. Waiting for mine now. Be a while before I can give any feedback, Hopefully early April.

2andblue

Place on center stand, then a couple bolts and out she comes.

Do you have a service manual - if not a PDF version is only ~$15-$20: Instantly available and will be unbelievably helpful.

Not that there are not lots of knowledgeable folks to help but suspension (like my instructions above) are best not left to conjecture - there are obviously more steps, torque values, etc. that you should get direct from the manual.

ghostrider990

Crotch Rocket
Forum Subscriber
I started off with a Penske but didn't like the remote res. mounting placement, and lack of remote spring adjustment.

Went with an Ohlins. Ahhhhh......lovely.

As stated, not an impossible job, and no need to remove tank.

gr

touring03

I started off with a Penske but didn't like the remote res. mounting placement, and lack of remote spring adjustment.

Went with an Ohlins. Ahhhhh......lovely.
I installed an Ohlins rear shock along with Ohlins progressive fork springs on a 2002 Honda VFR that I toured on before I bought my C14, completely transformed the bike's handling. The suspension did all the work and the seat felt like it was floating over the road.

ZXtasy

Seems Ohlins quit making a C-14 shock a while back, may be able to find used or NOS, I had no luck. I did put one on a EX-650 and it the transformation was sublime!

danmcdermott@me.com

Easy removal. I had mine re-sprung, re-valved with race tech, and re-honned by Adventure Power Sports out of Idaho. They did the same to my front suspension at the same time. Total around 1K. The upgrade was an incredible improvement from stock.

touring03

I'm ready to place my order for a new rear shock but seem to be having trouble locating a Canadian online retailer...any hints? send me the URL.

P.

kzz1king

Easy removal. I had mine re-sprung, re-valved with race tech, and re-honned by Adventure Power Sports out of Idaho. They did the same to my front suspension at the same time. Total around 1K. The upgrade was an incredible improvement from stock.
Glad to hear it. I am having the same thing done but by DMr Performance Suspension. Cant wait!

sailor_rich

I installed an Ohlins rear shock along with Ohlins progressive fork springs on a 2002 Honda VFR that I toured on before I bought my C14, completely transformed the bike's handling. The suspension did all the work and the seat felt like it was floating over the road.