• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Resale value - why so low?

conniefan

Moped
Hi All,

Currently w/o a ride, but planning on a used C14 by summer time.  Dang family keeps sucking up the spare change.

As noted by my nickname, I love the Concours and have ever since the 08 came out.  I've been trolling this site for some time and have read all about the "issues" with the 08-09 regarding heat and the other minor quirks people have discussed.  So far, nothing to discourage me, especially given the cost for those years.  Hell, I rode a HD for years and can't imagine the heat is any worse.  Plus, I live in Phoenix, so it's all relative.

Which is my question to the group.  Why are the 08-09's priced so low, especially when compared to a used ST or FJR?  Is it the heat issue or something else?  I feel like I'm missing something, but I can't seem to find any reason not to buy one.

And a lame question, are signature files added as attachments? 

Look forward to reading the responses. 

I have not found the heat issue to be any worse than other bikes I have owned. Tell you the truth I keep waiting for it to be too hot. Mine is a 2008 and put over 5000 miles on it and it has not been an issue. I have ridden in temperatures over 95.

Fan,
I've been doing some thinking/talking about it while thinking about upgrading from my current 05.  I've found the 08s so attractively priced these days it's very appealing.  Much of the changes have been cosmetic in nature over the year's production runs.  in 09 they added some bodywork to minimize the heat, but in 10-11, they changed the body more.  There have been a few other cosmetic changes, but mechanically, it's remained pretty much unchanged as far as I can tell.

I'm not going to complain about the resale value only because it means a better price for me, but I'm also shocked by how quickly the prices have fallen.

going from a 96' ZX-11 to an 08' C14 was a huge leap in refinement and comfort.  i don't see what all the fuss is about.

IMHO, The resale value being low on the C14 is two fold. The first being the fairly quick refresh of the C14 for the 2010 model year. Although I personally though my 08 was a fine bike in it's own right. But I do like some of the updates on the newer version. Although I will say that there are things I did like better about the 08-09 C14 that was latter updated (and not for the best IMO). Because of the 2010 refresh (update), it suddenly rendered the 08-09 model kind of obsolete. And to prove my point, quite a few 08-09 C14 owners traded or sold their C14's to buy the newer version. That made them less desirable as well as put a lot of extra used C14's on the market.
Then there is a lot of C14's in general on the showroom floors. Having so many new bikes available (a lot of times at cut rate prices) makes the used bike's value plunge. Why spend a lot on a used C14, when you can get a brand new bike for a very aggressive price. Or much cheaper yet for a left over brand new C14. There are still brand new 08-09 versions being picked up pretty cheap. So where's the incentive to buy a used C14 when there's a lot of new C14's floating around. So with a bunch of used C14's on the market. Sellers tend to have to cut their prices to compete with other sellers, as well as brand new C14's from the dealer.
This I think is the big difference between the C14 and ST/FJR. Both the ST1300 and FJR was not released in numbers anywhere near what Kawasaki has released the C14 in. So the ST and FJR used market has had a lot less examples to choose from over the years. I think that helps the bikes resale value a lot. That being combined with both Honda and Yamaha not being quite so aggressive on their new bike pricing probably helps the ST and FJR resale also. Again, just my opinion.

This ^^^^^ I looked at a few used bikes but my local dealer not only gave me a great deal on the 2011 C-14 he gave me a really good trade in value for my Aprilia Tuono. It made no sense to buy used.

I probably paid too much for my 08 ABS . 8100. But it
was the dealers demo. He sold it to his buddy. I knew
how the bike was ridden and maintained. It had 15000 
miles.But with the cost of insurance,taxes I couldn't go new
even though  it was just 2 grand more.

Thanks for all the feedback.  Hadn't thought about the volumes of bikes for the ST and FJR.  That makes good sense.  My weekly search on cycletrader show 08's as low as $6700, albeit with 30k miles.  Not bad, but I'll spend a bit more for fewer miles. 

I'm hoping that by summer I can at least consider a few used 10's.  Regardless, I can't wait to get one.  My local Kawi dealer is probably tired of seeing me come in to drool on his floor models. 

Ripper, $8100 doesn't seem that bad.  Many are trying to get $10k or more for the 08-09's.  Don't see that happening for many, given the pricing on newer bikes.

ConnieFan said:
My local Kawi dealer is probably tired of seeing me come in to drool on his floor models. 

:)) that's what I kept doing and then I finally decided enough was enough and bought a brand new one.

DanL said:
ConnieFan said:
My local Kawi dealer is probably tired of seeing me come in to drool on his floor models. 

:)) that's what I kept doing and then I finally decided enough was enough and bought a brand new one.

Did you ask for one without drool on it?  ;D

I was looking at the used market specifically for a 2010 in Neptune Blue.  Figured if I was going to spend the money, spend it on exactly what I wanted.

The prices on used bikes weren't that much lower than the deal I got on a brand new 2010 leftover.

08's and 09's are easily found in the $7-$9K range.  Once you get to the 2010, as 'Dude noted (The 'Dude for all you Big Lebowski fans),  prices are such that you can get a new one for a comparable price.  The advantage to a used one might be if you were looking to save $$ on farkles or the early service costs. 

When I buy this summer, my hope is to find a great deal out of state so I can fly there, pick it up and drive it home.    8)

Also, the time of year generally has an effect on prices. Typically, this is a great time to shop, bad time to sell since it is the "off" season everywhere but Phoenix.

The spring and summer are common buying seasons and prices will adjust accordingly.

Discretionary spending is another component to used vehicle pricing. There is less of it going around meaning fewer shoppers for the inventory.

Dan

The resale bar was substantially lowered when we were getting brand-new 2009's a year ago for $10K. A heck of a good price for a fabulous motorcycle. I have 6800 miles on my year-old 2009 and you could not pry my hands off the grip puppies :-* Bob

AstroBob said:
The resale bar was substantially lowered when we were getting brand-new 2009's a year ago for $10K. A heck of a good price for a fabulous motorcycle. I have 6800 miles on my year-old 2009 and you could not pry my hands off the grip puppies :-* Bob

+1... same here! I bought my brand new leftover 09 ABS last fall for $10k too...  ;D

ZG said:
AstroBob said:

+1... same here! I bought my brand new leftover 09 ABS last fall for $10k too...  ;D

+2 for me as well.

Sport Rider said:
I'm bidding on an 08 model on ebay.  if no one else bids, I'll get it for $4650!  :) :) :)

Good luck on your ebay purchase, I hope you get it for $4650.

Geez, if it were ABS, I'd be bidding against you!  >:D

ConnieFan said:
Which is my question to the group.  Why are the 08-09's priced so low, especially when compared to a used ST or FJR?  Is it the heat issue or something else?  I feel like I'm missing something, but I can't seem to find any reason not to buy one.

Consider it a "gift" of the free market system and take advantage of it.........I watched "used" FJR prices for 2 yrs before I gave up and decided to buy a "used" '08 model C14 and I have never regretted it  - as it is a WAY better bike than the 1st Gen FJRs.

I purchased my Connie used about 3 months ago.
2009....ABS....1,100 miles.......factory warr. until March, 2014........Paid $8,800.
Seemed like a good price to me.
My feeling is you get alot more bike for the buck with a Connie as compared with
the FJR and the ST.
FJR is also to small for me. (6ft) and as far as engine heat I know first hand that
this is MUCH WORST on the ST.
My 2 cents.

f5 - I think you got a great deal.  From what I'm seeing, the 08-09's with ABS are at the higher end of the price range.  I'll pay the extra for ABS.

Sport Rider - $5250 as of this writing.  I'm pulling for you - I hope you get the bike at a great price.

I picked up my non ABS 08, in Nov./10, with 1500 miles on it for $7000. It had a PC3, Muzzy, & risers. It's got over 12,000 miles. It's the best motorcycle deal, I've ever gotten.
I took it for a 6000+ mile trip out west last Sept., I choose it over my HD Streetglide for the trip,with no regret.
I'm loving it.

Hey Conniefan, I live in Phoenix too and ride year around. I have an 08 and I say the heat is hard to bear in the summer. Now that it's cool, the engine heat feels great but not in the summer when it's 110. Other than the heat it's a great bike but don't let anyone tell you it doesn't put out as much heat as a Harley. I traded in an FLH for the Connie and the Connie puts out more heat!

kpfetz said:
Hey Conniefan, I live in Phoenix too and ride year around. I have an 08 and I say the heat is hard to bear in the summer. Now that it's cool, the engine heat feels great but not in the summer when it's 110. Other than the heat it's a great bike but don't let anyone tell you it doesn't put out as much heat as a Harley. I traded in an FLH for the Connie and the Connie puts out more heat!

KP -

Thanks for the information, I was hoping to get feedback from a Phx person for a comparison point.  It won't deter me in getting the bike, but it's helpful to know as I move forward.  Did you try the inserts that others have spoken about?  I rode the Softtail (Nighttrain) for years and the heat on my legs was brutal in the summer.

kpfetz said:

It's funny how different climates mean different things for folks. Here in the north east. My normal riding temps are up into the high 80's. Once I get into the 90's, it takes so much of the enjoyment out of it that I tend to ride less. 95 to 100 tends to be rare for myself to ride in. I'm normally headed for the barn long before 100. That is of course unless I'm on a trip and I have to ride.
  Of course there is a major difference between a dry 100, and the humid summer weather that we get. But it's all what your body is use to. But we also tend to ride down to the freeing point as well. For some folks it's even lower than freezing. But I am very careful to avoid riding if the danger of ice is there. Maybe in the morning if it will warm up. But I'm pretty careful then.
But I can't imagine riding in a 110 degree weather, just to ride!  :-\

Summer riding isn't bad, you just have to deal with it, much like the cold.

Can't speak for others, but during summer hours, I'd ride to/from work most days.  The mornings are okay, but the return trip at 5 pm can be brutal, even for short rides.  Weekend rides require leaving for the high country.  From Phoenix, you can be nicer climates quickly.

On the Softtail, when stuck in traffic on a summer afternoon, it felt like my legs were about to catch fire from the heat of the engine.  :mad: 

Right now, the temps are great for riding! 

A couple of months ago I bought a used 2011 Concours with 3K miles for $12,500 from a local rider.
It had ABS & Traction Control, a Cee Bailey windshield, a softened driver's seat, and the first service.
Things cost more in California, but I thought it was a good deal. Haven't been able to find a better deal in CA.

Lots of '08 & '09 "deals" in the used market ($7k - $9K, with a range of miles). Haven't found any new '08, '09s around here.

-Jay

Jay said:
A couple of months ago I bought a used 2011 Concours with 3K miles for $12,500 from a local rider.
It had ABS & Traction Control, a Cee Bailey windshield, a softened driver's seat, and the first service.
Things cost more in California, but I thought it was a good deal. Haven't been able to find a better deal in CA.

Lots of '08 & '09 "deals" in the used market ($7k - $9K, with a range of miles). Haven't found any new '08, '09s around here.

-Jay

Just a note: The 2011 came with ABS and traction control standard.

Jay (or anyone who knows),

Are there major tuning differences with California bikes due to CARB?  Geez, is it still an issue?  I just recall that years ago, cars and m/c's that were sold in California had more stringent emissions and as such, were tuned differently.

I've not looked in CA for a used bike for this reason. 

If there is a difference, can I bring it back to AZ and "fix it" w/o major additional funds?

SPORT RIDER:  Did you get the 08 from the eBay?  Looks like it sold for $5550.  Not a bad price.

Thanks!

I was surprised to see it go that low even considering the time of year.  I figured it would at least bring $6,000.

It was a non-ABS model with almost 30K miles on it. Two negatives for selling to go along with it becoming winter.

ConnieFan said:
Jay (or anyone who knows),

Are there major tuning differences with California bikes due to CARB?  Geez, is it still an issue?  I just recall that years ago, cars and m/c's that were sold in California had more stringent emissions and as such, were tuned differently.

I've not looked in CA for a used bike for this reason. 

If there is a difference, can I bring it back to AZ and "fix it" w/o major additional funds?

SPORT RIDER:  Did you get the 08 from the eBay?  Looks like it sold for $5550.  Not a bad price.

Thanks!

CARB = California Air Resources Board. They pass pollution related standards. CARB approved would apply to engine related parts that'll affect emissions.

Aren't all Vehicles California Certified?
"Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California certified (50-State) vehicles are made to be sold to California residents."
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

This explains a little about why the Concours 14 built for California sale is different than its siblings in the other 49.

-Jay