• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

RI to Washington state and back

Devil Dog/ Rick from RI

2022 FJR 1300ES 20th Anniversary Edition
Plan on leaving July 15th from Rhode Island headed to the West Coast and back plan on doing some of Canada. Plan on camping hotel or whatever it takes back and forth. Anyone interested in riding along for part of the trip let me know.

Plan on leaving July 15th from Rhode Island headed to the West Coast and back plan on doing some of Canada. Plan on camping hotel or whatever it takes back and forth. Anyone interested in riding along for part of the trip let me know.
Still planning trip to Seattle, leaving RI, 15 July. Canada in between, certain riding. Might need passport for sure. Camping, hotel, friends locations for lodging. 30-40 days total. Let me know if interested in doing this northern run.

Still planning trip to Seattle, leaving RI, 15 July. Canada in between, certain riding. Might need passport for sure. Camping, hotel, friends locations for lodging. 30-40 days total. Let me know if interested in doing this northern run.
Sorry I can't make it, but in your trip planning for westbound long stretches you may want to dip back into the states just to get reasonable speed limits....... and also in Canada radar detectors are forbidden east of Saskatchewan (fines plus confiscation). Your opinion may disagree, but I strongly dislike Canadian sleep inducing speed limits....otherwise I love Canada. I hope you find someone to join you, and have a great trip!

Sorry I can't make it, but in your trip planning for westbound long stretches you may want to dip back into the states just to get reasonable speed limits....... and also in Canada radar detectors are forbidden east of Saskatchewan (fines plus confiscation). Your opinion may disagree, but I strongly dislike Canadian sleep inducing speed limits....otherwise I love Canada. I hope you find someone to join you, and have a great trip!
Thanks for your feedback and input on riding in Canada. My original plan was to cross the border in New England states and then cross it again coming back into upper peninsula Michigan and that was the only plan so far for Canada. I have never ridden a cross that area yet and was interested instead of doing i-90 interstate from my home thru NY. I will keep it in mind as time comes along, thank you.

Your opinion may disagree, but I strongly dislike Canadian sleep inducing speed limits....otherwise I love Canada.
Yes the suppressed speed limits especially in the middle of tundra nothingness Canada have driven me bonkers on occasion. Other times the wilderness was so special that I didn’t want to be hauling axx….

@Devil Dog this is about the time we may be wanting to do a trip west.

Please share your route planning - when you get it nailed down - zero rush on my part. Note: Utah I would highly recommend, amazing.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Yes the suppressed speed limits especially in the middle of tundra nothingness Canada have driven me bonkers on occasion. Other times the wilderness was so special that I didn’t want to be hauling axx….

@Devil Dog this is about the time we may be wanting to do a trip west.

Please share your route planning - when you get it nailed down - zero rush on my part. Note: Utah I would highly recommend, amazing.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I was in southern Utah at the canyons area last May. I am trying to keep this a northern route to include Casper, Wyoming area, Oregon Colorado Seattle Washington Fort McCord Lewis base. Anything running South out of Seattle Washington through Oregon into California is unsure now.

Devil Dog,
Let me know if you make it to Mount Rainier NP. Being a 11B Infantry grunt Working there Id try to grab some pavement there with you.

DaElkman

leaving July 15th still will be heading up through New England into Montreal Canada making my way west until I come back to the upper peninsula in Mackinaw City Michigan. Continue in West Casper Wyoming is on the list and eventually ending up in Seattle Washington. Anyone interested in writing let me know.

leaving July 15th still will be heading up through New England into Montreal Canada making my way west until I come back to the upper peninsula in Mackinaw City Michigan. Continue in West Casper Wyoming is on the list and eventually ending up in Seattle Washington. Anyone interested in writing let me know.
Still have my July 15th West Coast trip planned. Heading into Canada from New England area, any riders know Montreal and maybe camping around that area?

Devil Dog,
Let me know if you make it to Mount Rainier NP. Being a 11B Infantry grunt Working there Id try to grab some pavement there with you.

DaElkman
I do need a contact for oil change, check bike over for safety. Got any place to do that? I have a nephew stationed at Ft Lewis also who I'm trying to visit. Mount Rainier area sounds cool. I also have to touch the ocean. Still leaving east coast this Friday. Stay in touch if you like. Rick from RI. Devil Dog.

If you are passing through Portland, OR and need anything, let me know. I can make space in the garage for any maintenance / minor repairs and have all the tools you'd need.

I'm not sure on your timing, but we have a group ride on July 22nd out to the Oregon coast and back. Sounds like you'll be still traveling west though.

Safe travels! 🏍️

If you are passing through Portland, OR and need anything, let me know. I can make space in the garage for any maintenance / minor repairs and have all the tools you'd need.

I'm not sure on your timing, but we have a group ride on July 22nd out to the Oregon coast and back. Sounds like you'll be still traveling west though.

Safe travels! 🏍️
Thanks for the info. Leaving RI on 15 July. Not sure on arrival date yet, but will keep it in mind.
Heading to Montreal Canada and coming back into Upper Michigan and heading to Washington state first. Definitely will ride Oregon on way back. Going to Casper Wyoming on way back and will see some of Sturgis. I have 5 weeks to ride, no rush. Thanks, Rick from RI. Devil Dog.

Thanks for the info. Leaving RI on 15 July. Not sure on arrival date yet, but will keep it in mind.
Heading to Montreal Canada and coming back into Upper Michigan and heading to Washington state first. ...
Hey Devil, have good ride. I see you're leaving today. 5 weeks is nice!!
Hope you can post up a few photos for us time to time.

Image when in west, you'll ride through Montana, Idaho to reach Washington - or maybe thru BC and turn south?
A lot of the west has fewer flying insects vs prevalence east of Minnesota, so enjoy.
Doing sights, hikes, riding only, maybe fishing?

Cecil
Washington

Hey Devil, have good ride. I see you're leaving today. 5 weeks is nice!!
Hope you can post up a few photos for us time to time.

Image when in west, you'll ride through Montana, Idaho to reach Washington - or maybe thru BC and turn south?
A lot of the west has fewer flying insects vs prevalence east of Minnesota, so enjoy.
Doing sights, hikes, riding only, maybe fishing?

Cecil
Washington
Heading to Montreal today fro NH. Staying at campground for 2 days sightseeing

Ride ended today near Bismark North Dakota. Bevel gear and driveshaft shot. Have to start looking for another ride as I am stranded here unless I fly home.
86,600. Poor baby 😭

Attachments

• IMG_20230722_161308184_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230722_161308184_HDR.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 85
Mine blew also I bought some used parts on EBAY and repaired it. So very sorry that this happened to you. If I was closer I would come get you. Check your Member handbook for a possible member that can help you. Good luck.

Mine blew also I bought some used parts on EBAY and repaired it. So very sorry that this happened to you. If I was closer I would come get you. Check your Member handbook for a possible member that can help you. Good luck.
I appreciate that you fellow Cogger! Ebay is not my solution at this moment. Will look for something else. Anybody need a broke bike in ND cheap!

Cheap and easy to replace front bevel drive. Definitely look for a cogger that would let you use his garage. A dealer would gouge you unless you could find an independent. There's nothing wrong with the drive shaft. Drain the oil and flush the engine with the cheapest oil you can find. Drain that and fill with good oil. Little shavings of bearing material has probably entered the motor but doesn't seem to get past the oil filter. If you want to try it I can give you step by step.

Cheap and easy to replace front bevel drive. Definitely look for a cogger that would let you use his garage. A dealer would gouge you unless you could find an independent. There's nothing wrong with the drive shaft. Drain the oil and flush the engine with the cheapest oil you can find. Drain that and fill with good oil. Little shavings of bearing material has probably entered the motor but doesn't seem to get past the oil filter. If you want to try it I can give you step by step.
Thank you for responding and getting back to me with your info. Kawasaki charges $2,400 for bevel gear. You say the shavings and bearings from the bevel gear seem to only go to the oil filter but I'm not sure if that is my case. The bike has 86,000 miles and is a 2008. At this point I'm trying to just get it towed to some type of dealer in Bismarck North Dakota is I am stranded at some ones home with the bike in their driveway.

Don't go to a regular dealer, they will charge more than bike is worth. Mine is an 08 that had 100k on it when it self destructed. That was 50k miles ago with no lasting consequences. Ebay is full of them for under &100. You do need to make sure if you buy one, that it includes the pinion gear shaft, (the shaft that attaches to the driveshaft). Some of the salvage people can't figure out how to remove the drive shaft, and then remove the pinion from the housing. Then it's junk without a mating gear set. This is not hard, if you can't do it find a small repair shop. Probably a 3-5 hour job depending on skill level.

My year is a 2008 also and that one advertised you showed me is for a 2011. I currently have a fellow card member coming from ****inson North Dakota to pick my bike up and take it back to his house one step at a time and see where we go from there. If it's repairable for that type of cheap money and someone could help me help mechanics-wise I would be more than happy to keep my 08. If not then it's possibly looking for a used or new bike. Thanks for your input. That is one thing about COG, new friends.

I think it definitely is worth repairing. Yes new parts are very expensive but buying used is the way to go. Mine is an 08 also. It happened to my bike in the 130K range now at 170K. The pictures above look just like mine did while getting repaired.

Last edited:

I think it definitely is worth repairing. Yes new parts are very expensive but buying used is the way to go. Mine was an 08 also. It happened to my bike in the 130K range now at 170K. The pictures above look just like mine did while getting repaired.
How can you tell if any internal damage to the engine was done from the outside bevel gear damage. Does the engine have to be split to work on this job project? Would the drive shaft be damaged also from the bevel gear being damaged? Are you taking a chance when you replace these parts with used ones I guess?

I guess you are taking a chance but it turned out very well with my bike. My drive shaft was not damaged and I would likely say yours is ok too. I think for the used parts cost ( less than $125.00) and if the mechanic says your drive shaft is ok then I would say repair it.

I have a friend that had the same issue with his bike that had over 150K miles on a 2016 C14. He did it himself with used parts and it is running just like it did before the damage.

I guess you are taking a chance but it turned out very well with my bike. My drive shaft was not damaged and I would likely say yours is ok too. I think for the used parts cost ( less than $125.00) and if the mechanic says your drive shaft is ok then I would say repair it.

I have a friend that had the same issue with his bike that had over 150K miles on a 2016 C14. He did it himself with used parts and it is running just like it did before the damage.
Well today a fellow Cogger and his son will be looking at it while stranded in ND. Hoping for more info today, Ebay may be the answer.

Well today a fellow Cogger and his son will be looking at it while stranded in ND. Hoping for more info today, Ebay may be the answer.
Not good news, bevel gear gone, and bike left in ND. Flew home safely. Ah, the adventures. Short story, fellow Coggers, save the day, thanks Dave and wife Jane. Also there son Jakob and Brooklyn.

Glad you got home and Dave and Jane helped you out. Good luck with getting it home and repaired.

Dang, that there is right up with BMW level failure performance, albeit far less common me thinks.

I'm sorry to hear this but I'm glad you made it home OK and I'm especially glad that when it all went kaput on you that it didn't lock up and suddenly stop the back wheel from turning while you were at speed. Still I'm sorry for your troubles and I know how disappointed you must be about both the bike and the trip interruption. I'm also glad you found some local help. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Perhaps someone with experience could start a C14 bevel gear failure thread, and others with same experience could chime in?
Those of us not there yet would love to learn what the early symptoms and signals are (if any), and maybe start heading for a more convenient place to be while broke down when it happens to us while we're on a trip.

Last edited:
Perhaps someone with experience could start a C14 bevel gear failure thread, and others with same experience could chime in?
Those of us not there yet would love to learn what the early symptoms and signals are (if any), and maybe start heading for a more convenient place to be while broke down when it happens to us while we're on a trip.

I'm with Marty on this, it would be nice to know some symptoms. I haven't yet experienced yet either knock on wood.

it would be nice to know some symptoms
Not much in the way of symptoms in my case. When I figured it out it was already grinding metal off the gears and bearing. The only way I could tell something was wrong is when I would push the bike into the garage it made a bad clunking noise. First time I heard it I immediately took it out for a very short slow speed ride down the street with no helmet so I could hear clearly. It was quiet! So, under load it eliminated all the slop in the gear lash and bearing, even though the bearing was missing some balls. But pushing it slowly allowed for everything in there to clatter and bang freely. Putting it on the center stand and rolling the tire front and rear, you could feel it clunking. This is not the same as the old clunking when people thought the spline needed lube. That was never a thing IMHO. this is like a hammer inside the front bevel drive case.

Not much in the way of symptoms in my case. When I figured it out it was already grinding metal off the gears and bearing. The only way I could tell something was wrong is when I would push the bike into the garage it made a bad clunking noise. First time I heard it I immediately took it out for a very short slow speed ride down the street with no helmet so I could hear clearly. It was quiet! So, under load it eliminated all the slop in the gear lash and bearing, even though the bearing was missing some balls. But pushing it slowly allowed for everything in there to clatter and bang freely. Putting it on the center stand and rolling the tire front and rear, you could feel it clunking. This is not the same as the old clunking when people thought the spline needed lube. That was never a thing IMHO. this is like a hammer inside the front bevel drive case.
Thank You! ....but yes any others with this experience (bad bevel gear) please chime in.

Looking for a new or used bike now.

Picked up an FJR 1300 ES 2022 20th anniversary special with 975 miles on it in Dayton Ohio Friday. Currently in Iowa headed for St Cloud Minnesota. Dam cases are small. But heated grips and cruise control help.
Staying at Ellsworth AFB tonight. Sturgis in the am. New bike is running great. Enchanted highway in North Dakota today

Attachments

• IMG_20230808_114043741_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230808_114043741_HDR.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 85
Staying at Ellsworth AFB tonight. Sturgis in the am. New bike is running great. Enchanted highway in North Dakota today
Currently in rapid City South Dakota right outside of Sturgis my friend's 87 C10 oil line blew coming from the cooler. Currently sitting at a Kawasaki shop going to find a replacement hose and get running again. One day I may make it to Sturgis LOL.

IMO Sturgis is way overrated, but once the oil line is fixed do yourselves a favor and ride Hwy 14A (aks Spearfish Canyon Hwy) out and back from Spearfish to Savoy (turn around at Spearfish Canyon Lodge) before you totally leave the area.

Travel stops suggestions:
1) Livingston, MT (along freeway, due N of Yellowstone Park) has been good place to overnight for me. Downtown (which is ~2 miles N of freeway exit) is compact, many restaurants / bars, and is walker friendly even far into night. Try to get motel near to or in downtown area vs one at freeway exit.
2) Wallace, ID (about first town when entering north Idaho on freeway). I've always seen bikes parked at the Brooks Hotel in downtown Wallace; can walk everywhere. Old mining town; many food options - I like the "City Limits" pub for food; walk under the freeway from the picturesque old train station.

Thanks for posting the photo, DevilDog!

Howdy Devil Dog. The Free Spirit (world's greatest truck driver-retired) is now on this ride forum. Just want to make sure all your posts are somewhere near reality. Ha! Kinda interested on your travel plans for next week. I leave on Thursday (August 17th) for the Beartooth Rendezvous and return on Sunday for ****inson. That BMW event is in Red Lodge, MT. And that is near Billings, MT.

Heading to Red Lodge Montana in the morning staying at the KOA campgrounds for the night and then moving on to Coeur d'Alene Iowa and then on to Seattle Washington.
Well, you might as well continue from Red Lodge on US212 (Bear Tooth Scenic Hwy.) to Cooke City, MT and then enter Yellowstone Nat'l Park. The Bear Tooth Scenic Hwy. gets well above the tree line and may have winter snow still remaining off to the side. Working your way up north, you may want to get on the super slab toward Missoula, MT and then get on US12 through Idaho. US12 (Northwest Passage Scenic Byway) will get you across Idaho ready to move into Washington. Looks like all sorts of cool roads if you want to stay off the superslab.

Well, you might as well continue from Red Lodge on US212 (Bear Tooth Scenic Hwy.) to Cooke City, MT and then enter Yellowstone Nat'l Park. The Bear Tooth Scenic Hwy. gets well above the tree line and may have winter snow still remaining off to the side. Working your way up north, you may want to get on the super slab toward Missoula, MT and then get on US12 through Idaho. US12 (Northwest Passage Scenic Byway) will get you across Idaho ready to move into Washington. Looks like all sorts of cool roads if you want to stay off the superslab.
I sure appreciate the input, taking a break in Buffalo Wyoming now, still heading to Red Lodge to camp for the night at the KOA.

Couple of posts ago you asked about routes into Washington --> here's one Google route from eastern ID to Republic, WA (small town). Republic has good riding in all directions. Enjoy Washington and our northwest - unfortunately you're coming into a record heat wave that's supposed to last five days (this being Monday); Saturday is to be normal temps.
MAP:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wal...2m2!1d-118.7378067!2d48.6482183!3e0?entry=ttu

Town of Republic. My son and I over-nighted there 3 wks ago. Klondike Motel (509-775-3555); $75 for two beds, strong AC; an independent budget motel. Next time I'll likely try Northern Inn (1-888-801-1068) which looks more expensive. Both are in walkable downtown area, which has two restaraunts / bars and a brewery. The state BMW club used to camp out for the state motorcycle meet in the Republic fairgrounds; but I don't know camping or RV parks there. There's lots of nat'l forest land so probably rustic campgrounds.

From Republic there are two equally nice routes continuing westward to Winthrop, WA (both via town of Omak).
One route goes south from Republic then west thru Nespelem to Omak; 2) other one goes west to Tonasket, then south to Omak.
Winthrop itself is an old west themed town, so motels will be pricey. Continue west from Winthrop over Rt 20 to western WA and salt water.

Couple of posts ago you asked about routes into Washington --> here's one Google route from eastern ID to Republic, WA (small town). Republic has good riding in all directions. Enjoy Washington and our northwest - unfortunately you're coming into a record heat wave that's supposed to last five days (this being Monday); Saturday is to be normal temps.
MAP:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wal...2m2!1d-118.7378067!2d48.6482183!3e0?entry=ttu

Town of Republic. My son and I over-nighted there 3 wks ago. Klondike Motel (509-775-3555); $75 for two beds, strong AC; an independent budget motel. Next time I'll likely try Northern Inn (1-888-801-1068) which looks more expensive. Both are in walkable downtown area, which has two restaraunts / bars and a brewery. The state BMW club used to camp out for the state motorcycle meet in the Republic fairgrounds; but I don't know camping or RV parks there. There's lots of nat'l forest land so probably rustic campgrounds.

From Republic there are two equally nice routes continuing westward to Winthrop, WA (both via town of Omak).
One route goes south from Republic then west thru Nespelem to Omak; 2) other one goes west to Tonasket, then south to Omak.
Winthrop itself is an old west themed town, so motels will be pricey. Continue west from Winthrop over Rt 20 to western WA and salt water.
Thanks for your input as I enjoy everyone that has ideas for rides. Leaving to head into Seattle directly as the heat is high. Looking forward to seeing the space Needle and the fish market. Most likely will stay 2 days before heading to Oregon next, then ten miles into California to see the big trees.
Then heading east towards home to RI.

Thanks for your input as I enjoy everyone that has ideas for rides. Leaving to head into Seattle directly as the heat is high. Looking forward to seeing the space Needle and the fish market. Most likely will stay 2 days before heading to Oregon next, then ten miles into California to see the big trees.
Then heading east towards home to RI.
Went to downtown Seattle today to the famous fish market

In Rhode Island, landing safely, nice trip, 8000, miles. 2 bikes to get to 2 coasts.
Everything worked out fine because of everyone's support physically and mentally. If you know my name then you are a helper. Thanks, Devil Dog

I rode from Gulfport, MS to Deluth, Mn, then over to Sturgis, then Mount Rushmore to Yellowstone Park to Idaho Lava Badlands to Glacier Park to Omak, WA to visit family, then over to the Wash coast, and down Oregon and Northern Cali coast and cut across to Reding Ca toward just south of Reno, Nv to Hwy 50 (Americas Loneliest Highway) to Pueblo, Co. Then south to Amarillo Tx then east to Jackson, MS then south to home. Left home on July 19th and got back on August 5th. Just under 9200 miles. Great weather, well not much rain, but from Texas to home was between 98 and 106 for two days.

I rode from Gulfport, MS to Deluth, Mn, then over to Sturgis, then Mount Rushmore to Yellowstone Park to Idaho Lava Badlands to Glacier Park to Omak, WA to visit family, then over to the Wash coast, and down Oregon and Northern Cali coast and cut across to Reding Ca toward just south of Reno, Nv to Hwy 50 (Americas Loneliest Highway) to Pueblo, Co. Then south to Amarillo Tx then east to Jackson, MS then south to home. Left home on July 19th and got back on August 5th. Just under 9200 miles. Great weather, well not much rain, but from Texas to home was between 98 and 106 for two days.
Long distance rider, you solo, camp, etc?