• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ride and dive/snorkel FL

IronButtAl

We've had 14 riders express an interest in this ride/snorkel/dive event, so things are going forward with plans. The date that seems to work for everyone is December 11-13. Doesn't interfere with Thanksgiving or Larry's Last Blast ride and still puts us in a good weather window. Works best for a 3 day format. Snorkel with manatees in Kings Bay/Crystal River on Saturday morning early. Afternoon trip on Rainbow River/Dunnellon, same boat/tour company, snorkel or dive...your choice. Tour operator supplies snacks/beverages and moves equipment between locations while we ride our bikes. BBQ on Saturday night and ride to breakfast Sunday morning.Sleep a bunch in house and camping in yard.Early arrivals & late departures are encouraged.No certification necessary for entire day,being comfortable in the water and some snorkel experience desirable, will need a 'c' card to rent SCUBA gear for Rainbow River dive. Snorkel all day for $33.00. if that's your choice. Call or ping me to be added to list of interested riders so I can update you on details or changes. To my knowledge, this will be a 1st for any m/c club, and would only be possible with such a diverse and large club such as COG. Al Norcross IronButtAl@tampabay.rr.com phone 352 860 1014 GOG AMA IBA ROK NFG 99 Concours 02 KLR 650 Murry Lawn Tractor

Hey Big Al, Have we got any numbers on how the equipment/boat rental will work? I checked with my local dive shop and they have a weekend dive special that lets you get a Tank(filled), Regulator System, BCD-Weight Integrated(Lead Weigts not Included), Wet Suit and Dive bag for $54. Is this "Lead Weight" policy normal? What do you normally do about weights these days? They do require for you to have a proof of certification to rent anything but the wetsuit. I'm not sure I can find my PADI certification card from 29 years ago. That may work out for the best cause all I'm really mostly concerned about is that I'll find a wetsuit big enough to cover my lard ass. I could rent just the wetsuit locally so that I can go in and prefit into one before heading to Florida. They rent the wetsuit for the weekend for $19.50. And yes, I do want to use a wetsuit, I don't care how warm you think 72 degree water is, it is very cold (at least to me) and I'd rather be too warm than too cold. I dove in 72 degree spring water during my certification dive and it was COLD. Plus I'm a wussy with cold sensative skin. Did I just say that? So I'll be trying to get a minimum 5mm and more likely a 7mm. (Ahhh Cozy). You mentioned that we don't need proof of certification to rent the equipment you arranged so that will work out good for me. I'm not sure I'll be able to find my fins and mask and snorkel. Do they rent those too or are you normally required to buy those? Sorry, never actually went on a dive on my own after getting certified in college. I had to sell the wetsuit that used to fit me when I weighed 160. I do still have the regulator I bought in 1980. It probably needs some service. I 'm sure the diaphram has probably disintegrated by now. Looking forward to it! Thanks, Bobby

Bobby, you didn't weigh #160 when you were born, so quit trying to fool me with that BS. Ok buddy, here's a quickie; 16 are interested enough to ask all of the questions. I'm getting together all of the options/pricing to go to all interested members.I'm chasing butterflies for COG right now and up to my neck, but will get it done asap. Thanks for getting back on the subject, jeez, it's going to be a really good time for all of us. A great bunch of friends riding and diving.Yeah man........... GOG AMA IBA ROK DDS NFG 99 Concours 00 KLR 650 Murry Lawn Tractor

Al, One of my Divemaster buddies is interested in coming along. He has all the equipment but can't/won't ride his little ZX6 to FL and he's not into camping. What's the best choice for lodgings and where/when will the signup take place?

Jim, we'll take care of him real good. Hope to get all final info up in the next day or two. just got back from Kings Bay and the dive shop we will use. I've worked out some good deals with the owner, which will make it easy for anyone wanting to use their own equpiment but can't carry a tank. check back....Jack

Dive trip is a go, with 18 now in and likely end at 20 +. This will be an AMA sanctioned event, and will end up in Rider magazine, showcasing a unique motorcycle event, held by a club, and only possible with a large and diverse organization such as COG. Yeah, I'm going to use it to market our membership drive for COG....deal with it. This is largely an event involving Georgia & Florida riders, but anyone from the NE or anywhere else can join in on the fun. Snorkel all day or add the afternoon dive, it will all be good.The typical great bunch of COG riders ensure this will not only be a 1st for a riding club,it will also be something we'll all remember forever. If there's something we all excell at in this group, it's the end of the day activities. To that end, we'll have a BBQ and bonfire, with meal options of pork or chicken. Remember the concept of this event and ride your bike to Inverness. Everything has been done to enable you to do it this way. Deadline for this event will be November 7th, at which time I'll need a $30.00 deposit for the tour operator. Contact me for any questions. AL

OK AL: JUST A FYI I DROPED A CHECK FOR BOTH VICTOR & I IN THE MAIL TODAY ($60.00). WE ARE IN. WE BOATH WILL RET ALL OUR EQUIPMENT WHEN WE GET THERE. I WILL DO THE ALL DAY SNORKEL & VICK WILL DO THE SNORKEL & TANK DIVE. ANYWAY WILL WAIT FOR YOU TO ALSO E-MAIL ME THE MOTEL LIST.(SAFE ONES HA,HA). SILVER DRAGON STEVE C