• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ride report from Howe Caverns

Cap'n Bob

The Howe Caverns ride actually started the day before for same of us. Some of the riders came in from out of town on Friday night. My ride co-leader Steve and Sue Cerutti hosted Lorie and Norm Walton at their home. While I had dinner and beverages with Friday night guests that were overnight in the hotel. Dave Brown, Brian and Andrea Felice, My wife Cindy and myself went to Chili's. We had a great time there. Brian needed to unwind because he was stressed about the possibility of his KIPASS stranding him on the way. But once here, he felt a much needed relief with a glass of White Zinfandel. Unfortunately Marc Hering also came into town early. But he didn't call my cell phone, which is not like him, because we talk quite a bit. Marc had time to join us, but unfortunately missed us. Well Howe Caverns turned out to be a beautiful day. Of course it was 91 degrees and humid on the way back (Which is hot since it's been a very cool summer). I arrived early at the meeting spot which was the Pilot Travel Center in Newburgh, NY. I'm glad I did, because a lot of the people also showed up early. We were close to departure time when we picked up rider number 13. This was a surprise because it was a last minute decision for him to come. As of the night before (Paul Lindman) wasn't coming because he hadn't made lodging plans. So it was a nice surprise when he called my cell phone shortly before we left. He was close and made it on time. But he just rode a few hours to make it here. So we left a few minutes later than scheduled. It's easy to blame it on Paul, but it's easier to blame it on myself and others who have big mouths. Time flies when your talking! :D We had 13 riders. Andrea and Brian Felice rode in from Rhode Island. Lorie and Norm Walton rode in from Connecticut. Dave Brown, Paul Lindman and Marc Hering each rode in from New Jersey. Abbe and Ben Otunu, Fred Whitaker, Sue and Steve Cerutti, and myself were all from the Hudson Valley area (NY). We had a calm paced ride both up and back from the caverns. We rode a route to Howe Caverns that was pretty much all back roads. It consisted of hills, turns, wooded roads and some rolling hills and farms . Basically a diversified rural ride, with some towns in between. It was about 100 mile ride which took about 2 1/2 hours. We went straight through on the way there. When we arrived at Howe Caverns, it was already in the 80's with full sun. Howe Caverns was busy so there was no shaded parking for the bikes. Although Fred and myself tried to get in some shade. But we were in the sun before we left. It was an exercise in futility. We Bought our tickets as a group to tour the caverns. Then we had lunch in the Caverns cafe'. When we were ready to take the to tour, Sue collected our tickets and we were on the next tour down in the Caverns. The Caverns are about 150 feet under ground to start with. It's about 52 degrees year round so some of us wore jackets. We had a very nice tour guide named Kelsey. I'm terrible with names, but actually remembered hers because it being a different name. We toured the caverns for about an hour and a half . Which consisted of walking about a mile, up and down hill. Plus we got a boat ride. It was nice and cool as well as interesting to see and hear about. When we came up to the surface again. The nice and cool naturally air conditioned (from the caverns) lobby seemed much warmer now. So out side then seemed brutal. It was about 90 degrees outside and humid. I have 2 thermometers on my bike (why I don't know). The LCD thermometer was black from the heat of the sun. The Formotion thermometer was pegged all the way around at 130. We departed between 3:30 and 4 o'clock. Fred notice that his tire pressures went down once under way. I guess the tires heated up just from sitting in the hot sun. :D At this point Lorie and Norm Walton and Andrea and Brian Felice headed straight home towards Connecticut and Rhode Island respectively. It was the smart thing for them to do and I would have done the same if I were in their position. The rest of us stared back on route number 2 which was similar to the route there except I change the route after the first 50 miles to give other good roads. We stopped in Saugerties which is the half way mark. It's also where the ride begins to be different from the ride there. We fueled up and took a break. It was getting late so Dave and Marc decided to jump on the Thruway (I87) and slab it back to New Jersey. Paul was too tired to ride back to New Jersey, so he stayed riding with us. I want to thank Sue and Steve for taking Paul into their home for the night, so he could sleep before heading home Sunday. We continued on back towards home. Everyone basically peeled off down towards Newburgh to head toward their respective homes. I myself arrived home around 7:30 or so. I was too tired from a long day to down load pictures and write this report. So I began downloading the pictures and titling them at 3:30 his morning. So here's the result. I have to finish up here because I have to head out to meet the guys for my weekly Sunday morning ride. (90+ degrees again today) I would like to take this time to thank everyone for coming and hope you had a good time. I would especially like to thank my co leader Steve Cerutti and his wife Sue for all their help. As well as Connecticut AAD Norm and Lorie Walton for their input. Now we have to start planning another before the years out. P.S. here are the photo's that I took. They will be nowhere near as good as Dave's photo's. But here they are anyway!!!! http://rides.webshots.com/album/574139138INuhQB P.S. I forgot to add that I had bought a get well card for Dave (Wes) Hays, from Ohio. Wes had a bad crash on his C14 and is in the hospital in pretty bad shape. I brought it on the ride to afford all the ride participants a chance to sign the card. I put it out in the mail Sunday, for Monday pick up. Get well soon Wes! Bob Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

Sweet!!! Congrats on your first successfully hosted ride!!! -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Thanks to Bob, Sue and Steve for putting this together. It was nice to see some COG friends and make some new one's. A good time was had by all and the weather was great. Lorie and I had a great ride back on RTE 22 and found a nice restaurant in Millerton NY for dinner. Hit up the Big Grill if your in the area.

Thanks Bob! it was a great ride and the caverns tour was fun! I want to send a shout out to Ben and Abbe too! I met Ben in NC at Fontana Dam, but this was my first time meeting Abbe and we had some good conversation. Many many thanks to Steve and Sue Cerutti for sharing their home, good Chinese food, and many beverages with us on Friday night! They are great folks who I look forward to spending time with in PA???? Take care all!Text 95 Nighthawk 750
2644127500098914013DLrixD_th.jpg

I forgot to add that I had bought a get well card for Dave (Wes) Hays, from Ohio. Wes had a bad crash on his C14 and is in the hospital in pretty bad shape. I brought it on the ride to afford all the ride participants a chance to sign the card. I put it out in the mail Sunday, for Monday pick up. Get well soon Wes! P.S. I edited the original post to reflect this. I should have done that in the first place. Oh well! Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
;p

Bob, do you have Wess's address? We would like to send him a card as well. Thanks! 95 Nighthawk 750
2644127500098914013DLrixD_th.jpg

Here you go Lorie. I'm sure he'll appreciate all the cards people are sending him. Dave (Wes) Hays c/o OSU Medical Center 410 West 10th Ave Columbus, Ohio 43210 Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

I just want to log in my vote to make Howe Caverns an annual excursion. It was a great day, and I love the constant 52 degrees of the caverns, although it made the 90+ outside feel even hotter when we left. Sue, COG #I-7265 & 6763A COG Merchandise Coordinator

Sue, I don't have a problem doing that if people want to. I'm in. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

Here's a link to my pictures from the Caverns http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/574309030pdlAqv?vhost=entertainment

Your photo's came out nice Norm. I probably didn't have my camera on low light setting. Yours came out better in the Cavern. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

Thanks Bob, I had a lot that I did not post because they came out bad, the flash on Lorie camera is not as strong as mine is but her's is easier to carry. I'll post the group photo soon.

Bob, Thanks for posting the pictures. My camera died while we were in the cave and have not been able to get the pitures out of it. Any news from Wes? We should get together and do a local ride one these weekends. Regards, Ben COG Member#8594 Ride often, Ride Safe.

Yeah that sounds good Ben. Get in touch with me with what would be good for you so we can work it out. As far as Wess goes, He posted on the other Forum that he is (surprisingly) out of the hospital. Here's a link. http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=59525.0 Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak