• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rifle Wind Screen

shall

I'm in the middle of writing my Christmas list to Santa and I'm going to ask him for a Rifle windscreen. I just have a couple of questions for you guys.. First one is does any one think its a mistake getting one? The second is on sizing, is just looking over it good as a rule of thumb? Third is I THINK I want to order it in gray tint, has anyone have one tinted and could shed some light on pro's and con's? Thanks

First: It's not a mistake. I love mine. The only "thing" that bugs me is it makes the bike look tall. Second: It depends on how tall you are when sitting on the bike. I'm 5'9 and I have a regular (17"). The top of the shield is just below my nose. Third: I've seen a bronze tinted once. It wasn't a Rifle. Mine is clear. If I had to replace it I would look at a Cee Bailey's. Just for the look. Patrick Ride safe. 1998 Kawasaki Concours Windsor Green COG# 7292 CDA# 0135

I am 6'1" I use a 19" clear in the winter and two up with my honey who is 5'11". I love it, it keeps most of the air off of me. I catch a little on my shoulders but not much. Summertime is for the dark smoke shorty though. That was hand make from 1/4" lexan.

Clear. Get a clear shield. If you need to darken anything due to high light conditions, wear sunglasses or a tinted face shield. I love my Rifle. I am able to "build" custom shields for it very easily using polycarbonate blanks trimming them down with a bandsaw or a jigsaw and finishing the edges up wtih a block sander. Very effective for customizing to your needs and requirements. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

I love mine and I had the 17 inch screen at 5'9" I could only see over it by an inch. I made my own screen and its 13" good for the warm weather and not too bad in the cold. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Decisions decisions, I bought my house easier then getting addons for my Connie. From my bar weights to my Corbin seat it's always a pain in the brain. Thanks for the input I'm sold on clear it makes sense. After reading the responses my next logical question is should I look into Cee Baileys??? It looks more like stock but looks would take a back seat to functionality. They are both about the same cost and both have a good reputation, pro's con's would by appreciated. Now you know what my wife has to deal with. Thank everyone for there time and information.

I'm 6' 1 inches tall and have the tallest one they make. I get buffeting at the top of my helmet on speeds over 60. I've played with home-made shorter ones and use a real short one for summer to get more air. No matter what I try I can't get rid of the buffeting. I think it may be me - long torso. I wish there was a wind tunnel test on all the different screens and with different rider heights. This would show what people under what speeds would get buffeting and how bad. I do love the ability to make my own and attach to the rifle base. If I ever get more time I'd like to experiment with different shapes. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg

Happy with mine. The vent needs to be blocked in rain. I look over the screen. Got the smoked color as I feel it looks best with the '98 color. -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Definitely go to their web site and look into the Cee Baileys as I love mine. If you order one make sure and get the vent because it is cooler in summer and you can plug it in winter or rain (that is all Murph sells). I'm with 2linby if I want some tint I put on sunglasses. Remember, the tint is like a tatoo it's permanent. Respectfully Yours! Wess Heavner COG #8010 CDA #0239
2488051070102653285S200x200Q85.jpg

If you're going to be looking through the windscreen, then don't get it tinted. If you're not, tint isn't going to hurt anything, except your ability to see what's directly in front of you 10' away. Frankly, if you haven't seen it by then, you're hosed anyway. :) I have a short Cee Bailey on mine and it has a good line, complimentary to the bike. Rifle's got a good reputation, so does Cee Bailey. You really can't go too far wrong with either one. (Hope that makes your decision easier. :))

Coupla things. First, its not going to be a lot of help to have people's height unless you know their inseam too. You have to subtract their inseam from their height to get an idea of their 'seated' height. Aftermarket or modified seats can vary an otherwise apples to apples comparison. I had a 24.5" Rifle (total height), then went to a 26.5" Cee Bailey which is actually 'shorter' than the rifle due to a more severe angle back to the rider. This might help explain it a bit better: 24" Rifle / 26.5" CB Windshield Comparo Actually looked through the Rifle, but over the Cee Bailey. I felt the CB was a bit smoother on wind protection and less buffetting, and also felt it looked a whole lot better on the bike.

Thanks to everyone for there input. I emailed Cee Bailey and they offered me a 20% discount if I order it this week. That kinda makes the decision a little easier. I'm going for the 22-1/2 non tinted even though I think the smoke would look real good but night driving is tricky enough. I hear that the vent needs to be plugged in the rain, is there a official plug out there or is the bandanna the answer? Thanks again to everyone, love the organization and plan on being a member forever.

stasch, which one was quietier? I have a CB and like the wind pattern and weather protection for winter time use. For really hot days I wish I had something a little shorter and narrower. Overall I wish it was quietier. I have read enough threads to see people argue both ways. Some thing CB others Rifle. Whats your opinion on quiet. ( Side note for all who are going to tell me to get year plugs, I wear ear plugs. Yes helmets make a difference. The question is which of these two shields makes more of a difference or does it ). 2003 Concours COG #6953 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

I have Rifle, cut and trimmed by me until I got it right, combined with Shoei RF1000 hat, it's VERY quiet, but I also wear great 29db ear plugs. Bike had a tinted Givi 'shield when I bought it, same size and shape as OEM. Hated it, love the Rifle. As others have said, you don't want to be lookng through a tinted 'shield. I cut the Givi down and put it on the Wee-Strom, it looks great, works great, but is low so I look well over the top of it. I have a good friend with a Clearview, he rode my Connie with the Rifle, and didn't like it. On the Connie, just about anything is better than the sotck 'shield.

stasch, which one was quietier? I have a CB and like the wind pattern and weather protection for winter time use. For really hot days I wish I had something a little shorter and narrower. Overall I wish it was quietier. I have read enough threads to see people argue both ways. Some thing CB others Rifle. Whats your opinion on quiet. ( Side note for all who are going to tell me to get year plugs, I wear ear plugs. Yes helmets make a difference. The question is which of these two shields makes more of a difference or does it ).
I'm late on the reply with this, shoulda subscribed to it. I felt the buffeting was less on the CB, but not by much. Either choice is a tremendous improvement to the buffeting from the stock shield. The swing votes for me were that while wind issues were about the same, I could look over the CB and I thought it looked better. For hot / summer, I've cut my stocker down to 11". The air is very smooth, although overall noise is higher. I use earplugs all the time, regardless of shield. While the shorty is great for getting air, it is more tiring to have the additional noise and wind, even though its a pretty smooth wind.

Have fun with wind Screens. Presently I have the 23" Cee Baileys on my bike BOB in Boston asked me to try it out last fall Its clear and tall even for me, I'm 6'1" I have hit my helmet on it a number of times while getting on the bike as it is 2" wider then stock and due to the height also leans back toward you a bit. I have not been out in a heavy rain with it yet so we will see how that goes. You will find it great in the fall and spring as it keeps the cold wind off of you. In the summer you will MELT for the same reason - it keeps the wind off of you therefore In the summer if run a smoked Targa 18" over all I have found it a great all round screen. I always say more toys please - have fun You'll never know where I'll be or when I'll be their as i'm riding in the wind.

Does anyone ever just remove their windscreen to get maximum airflow in the summertime? It seems logical to me, but I wonder if anyone does it ...