• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rifle Windscreen - WTH???

davemuir

So.... Now that I'm working 35 miles from home and the truck only gets 20 mpg (diesel!), it's time to get the bike ready for commuter service.

I've had a Rifle base for years now, thought I'd finally get around to making that taller screen. Took the original windscreen off and tried to see how the Rifle lines up. But I've run into a snag. It seems that part of the inside fairing sticks out too far for proper easy installation.
ws1.jpg

ws2.jpg

I've tried loosing all the fasteners I could get at and moving things back a bit bit it doesn't want to stay that way..
Anyone with a Rifle have any issues installing it?
Any suggestions?

Dave, are you talking about the dash area or part of the main fairing? Can you trim the dash part, it could have warped due to age and is hitting the base.

Hi Norm!!  ^-^

It's the dash area, that part right in the middle that's in the way (see improved enhanced pic!  :victory: )
Ya, I'm looking at it thinking of doing some customizing with the good old dremel tool.

Oh well...
Took the dash area out, nothing looked bent or out of place, so... dremel tool it is!
Cut the whole plastic tab out and the dash was able to deform to a happy place.
Hmmmm, might as well replace that little light behind the clock while I'm in there...
Maintenance done for the year  :rotflmao:

Hi Dave;

I had to do the exact same thing, I trimmed the tab back and did not install the screw.
I also ground some of the inside of the  Rifle mount as well.

Happy with the Rifle but I need to get a taller screen for it.

I have a previously-used Rifle base for $80 plus shipping and a six-pack of your local Root Beer.  Great price and I get root beer from somewhere else... ;)

From http://www.rifle.com
Rifle Windshield system  $199.00 standard price 
Rifle base ONLY 0.201.1116 $129.00 
Rifle windshield ONLY 15" clear 0.211.0001 $70.00 
Rifle windshield ONLY 17" clear 0.211.0002 $70.00 
Rifle windshield ONLY 19" clear 0.211.0003 $70.00 
Rifle windshield ONLY custom 0.211.0004 $95.00 
Rifle windshield ONLY 15" tinted 0.211.0011 $80.00 
Rifle windshield ONLY 17" tinted 0.211.0012 $80.00 
Rifle windshield ONLY 19" tinted 0.211.0013 $80.00 
Rifle windshield ONLY custom 0.211.0014 $105.00

Make sure to not overtighten the screws to the plexiglass or it will spider.  If you are using the tallest Rifle plexiglass I would use SS screws, washers, plastic washers and aircraft nuts to install it.  Watched my windshield launch one day.  At 70 mph there wasn't anything I could do

Yep.. I'm now a good statistic! No longer a drain on society  :celebrate:
I am now a Rock God!  :rotflmao:
I work for KMC Music/Fender... Yep THAT Fender!  :dance:
There are guitars, drums and amps everywhere! And this is the corporate office!
I got to go to the Ovation/Hamer/Guild factory for physical inventory, it's where they custom make the guitars for the stars.
All in all... a pretty good gig  :13:

I use oversize washers combined with rubber washers. No problem with cracking!

Mike said:
Make sure to not overtighten the screws to the plexiglass or it will spider.  If you are using the tallest Rifle plexiglass I would use SS screws, washers, plastic washers and aircraft nuts to install it.  Watched my windshield launch one day.  At 70 mph there wasn't anything I could do

Camper Dave said:
I got to go to the Ovation/Hamer/Guild factory for physical inventory, it's where they custom make the guitars for the stars.
Way cool.

Camper Dave said:

Nice! My son just gave me a old D4 Guild acoustic. Love it!  BTW do you play?

I use to play bass (gave them away to my kids) and sing back-up (when-ever I was singing close to the mic, people would tell me to "back-up")  :rotflmao:

Still too new to scam one of the many guitars sitting around gathering dust, but that hasn't stopped me from trying  >:D