• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Right Angle Valve Strm

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
Buying new tires soon. I am thinking of replacing my stock valve stem with the right angle type. Will this interfere with the TPR?
Are there other owners that have installed these type of valve stems and glad they did? Welcome any comments. :motonoises:

I changed them with the last tires. They are great. No problems with the TPS. They did seem to bottom out  early so I wrapped the TPS in a bit of electrical tape to keep it from turning. All works well.

gsun said:
I changed them with the last tires. They are great. No problems with the TPS. They did seem to bottom out  early so I wrapped the TPS in a bit of electrical tape to keep it from turning. All works well.

The thread length on them is exactly the same as the old ones. You should not need to make any changes or adjustments to them at all.

large.jpg

And here is a photo of the newer one piece version.

large.jpg

Thank you Bob, Gregg, and Fred. You all were a great help. Would it be wise to replace the batteries on the TPS when I replace the valve stems and tires on my '08?  :motonoises:

One other question for all.....I have seen you can use portable right angle extensions that screw into existing valve stem and you can add air that way. Afterward you unscrew and bring it with you or save for next time. They cost about $10.00 compared to the replacements that are $47.00. I am leaning toward the $47.00 replacement,just asking for opinions. Thank you.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
gsun said:

The thread length on them is exactly the same as the old ones. You should not need to make any changes or adjustments to them at all.

large.jpg

And here is a photo of the newer one piece version.

large.jpg

Well, either something is different or the OEM didn't fit either!

Rusty said:
One other question for all.....I have seen you can use portable right angle extensions that screw into existing valve stem and you can add air that way. Afterward you unscrew and bring it with you or save for next time. They cost about $10.00 compared to the replacements that are $47.00. I am leaning toward the $47.00 replacement,just asking for opinions. Thank you.

It may work. But you are introducing another possible spot for a leak. I personally would do it right and just replace the OEM valves with the right angel valves. Why make more possibilities of trouble spots, just to save a few bucks. Again just my opinion.

gsun said:

The sensor is mounted on a spring that fits on the collar and it should still be free to float even after the collar is fully tightened down. This protects the sensor from high impact road and wheel shocks.

Also, be careful not to overtighten the collar. They aren't meant to be tightened down a whole lot. All it needs to do is squish the rubber gromment enough to make a good seal and hold the valve on tight. The torque spec on them is 40 INCH/lbs (NOT foot/lbs).