• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

roadcrafter going back to aerostitch

max1138

sent my roadcrafter light back to duluth this week, they are going to add the upper body gusset so my winter layers dont bind in the shoulders, fix a few velcro pieces on the main zipper cover and patch the hole in the left leg where a hot exhaust got it.
and wash and re-waterproof the fabric.
This why I buy quality gear, warranty and service make or break a company selling premium gear and aerostitch does it really well.
I cant send a firstgear or tourmaster  garment in for service from the people who made it.

it may take a while, but with the broken leg im in no hurry. if I didnt have a broken leg it wouldnt get sent back I would be riding in it. 4 years and 60k miles on the suit and aerostitch was like sure send it in  we will take care of it. that is service.

I like to see this kind of report,just went to a pop up store and tried on suits, probably will purchase one when I can ride again!

Great Endorsement, and made in the USA. 
Well....MOST of their stuff anyway.  :great:

I lusted after one of these for many many years, but when I bought one and tried it on, I just couldn't LOVE it the way I wanted to (1 piece).
Somewhat disappointing that they don't include the armor, and some of the upgrades can get quite pricey -- but a review like this IS a reminder that you get much more than what you pay for in the initial purchase price, and should also be considered.

gr

With 13 years, and about 100k miles on my "original style" 2 piece Roadcrafter, I have zero complaint about my purchase price.....
I did however closely analyze my fitup when purchased, and had them send me an off the shelf sized set for my measurement, wherby I could calculate all the deviations and sizing mods I wanted, to suit me, prior to its assembly. This included custom color balistics, full jacket side gussets, forearm placement and extension for correct armour location, and similar leg modifications. Also purchased the elipse jacket/pants junction joint.
My Stich came with full armour on knees, elbows, and shoulders.
I intitially sealed the zipper fabric and stiches using their seam sealer, I have only fully washed and waterproofed this unit 4 times in its lifespan, and only repeated the seam sealing once after 7 years of use. Realistically I see this unit as being a 15 to 20 year usable investment, if not crashed...
Only issue was with zipper pulls, which occasionally break, but a big paperclip and some tape, and its better than new... and didn't cost anything..
I guess the best part of purchase, was watching it get made on the closed circuit camera, and having Sandy hold it up to show it to me as she was packing it to ship to me...sweet...

Prices have changed I'm sure, but my investment of $920 back then, has rewarded me everytime I put it on.

they emailed back today with the total for the alterations repairs and cleaning/re-waterproofing 

$323.00  $150 of that is the addition of 1.5 inch gussets on the sides to give me a bit more room with winter layering.
If i had ordered the 48s instead of the 46s I could have squeezed the winter layers in no problem.  but the leg legenth would have to be altered. and at the time i needed the suit more than i was willing to wait. and the problem with the winter gear didnt show up till several months later. 

it hasnt been a deal breaker or anything, more annoyance than anything else. but since im down for another 2 months at least with the broken leg get it dealt with and have a better fitting suit. plus it gets a few patches applied to where i stupidly let the right leg get on an exhaust. and professionally cleaned and re-waterproofed to like new. 

they were careful to point out that different lots of material for the patches and gussets may fade differently or not and not all stains can be removed, like I care about fading or stains.    if I had thought of it I would have had the gussets done in red to match the bike, WTH, be different. 

they said it would take 3-4 weeks to complete, whatever, it will be ready to go before I will.

Max said:
they emailed back today with the total for the alterations repairs and cleaning/re-waterproofing 

$323.00  $150 of that is the addition of 1.5 inch gussets on the sides to give me a bit more room with winter layering.
If i had ordered the 48s instead of the 46s I could have squeezed the winter layers in no problem.  but the leg legenth would have to be altered. and at the time i needed the suit more than i was willing to wait. and the problem with the winter gear didnt show up till several months later. 

it hasnt been a deal breaker or anything, more annoyance than anything else. but since im down for another 2 months at least with the broken leg get it dealt with and have a better fitting suit. plus it gets a few patches applied to where i stupidly let the right leg get on an exhaust. and professionally cleaned and re-waterproofed to like new. 

they were careful to point out that different lots of material for the patches and gussets may fade differently or not and not all stains can be removed, like I care about fading or stains.    if I had thought of it I would have had the gussets done in red to match the bike, WTH, be different. 

they said it would take 3-4 weeks to complete, whatever, it will be ready to go before I will.

Give them a call, chances are they may not have cut it apart yet for the gusset install, and its no big deal for them to use the different color... don't wait too long tho...
They aim to please customers better than any company I've seen, and you might be surprised when they say " sure thing, we can do that"...

I've also had some of the zipper pulls break after 15 years and bought their $5 zipper repair kit.  Good as new! 

I've also burned a hole in my right let on the C14 exhaust.  Argh!!  :mad:  Guess it's not "fire proof". 

got my suit back from aerostitch today, all cleaned up,repaired and newly expanded to get my fat arse into it.
had to add 1.5 each side, shoulders arent any wider i just seem a bit thicker about the middle these days. they did a bang up job on the alterations, cant tell its been worked from the outside. and have to look closely even on the inside with no liner in it. you can tell its been done from the new sealing tape but the extra material is well hidden. patched the burn holes in the leg up and put fresh zipper pulls where i needed them.and fixed the velcro on the front flap, if it weren't still stained in spots you would think it was a new suit instead of 4 years old with 60k+ miles on it. it took 3 tries to get all the armor positioned back where its feeling correct again.

I sent my 10 yo roadcrafter back and had the new waterproof zippers put in along with new Velcro, and the clean, and waterproof treatment. It came back looking brand new. About $225 total...  new zipper is in face waterproof. I used to get a wet crotch, not anymore... awesome piece of kit...

When I ordered the suit, I think I sent it back and forth about 4 times before I settled on the final specs they built for me.

Great service.

rrsperry said:
I sent my 10 yo roadcrafter back and had the new waterproof zippers put in along with new Velcro, and the clean, and waterproof treatment. It came back looking brand new. About $225 total...  new zipper is in face waterproof. I used to get a wet crotch, not anymore... awesome piece of kit...

When I ordered the suit, I think I sent it back and forth about 4 times before I settled on the final specs they built for me.

Great service.

Be sure to let us know how that no more wet crotch works out. I love my Stich but when it gets wet enough I still get wet down there. :)

really, never had the famous stitch crotch happen, but mine is a gen2  with the RIRI zipper in it. the gen 3 YKK waterproof is supposed to be even better.  i literally spent 10 hours in the rain at speed  on a 1250fa suzuki with much less weather protection than a concours and it didnt leak. its a bit finicky about closing unless you dab a bit of teflon on it from time to time., no problem have several cans of teflon lube for chains on other bikes.

I love reading great stuff about Aerostich. I might be biased cause they are in Minnesota..... :eek:  I love having the store a couple hours away.....ez to visit for suit stuff or whatever else they sell.
By the way, expect to see them as a contributor to the 2017 National rally in Missouri......ya never know what you might win ;)

10 years on my Darien two piece.  If I ever get back into motocommuting, I will be investing in a Roadcrafter.  If you take the investment, and divide it over the life of the gear and considering it is made in USA, you can't go wrong.

On a side note, my Darien has 'shrank in the closet' over the winter. ;)

MizzouMike said:
10 years on my Darien two piece.  If I ever get back into motocommuting, I will be investing in a Roadcrafter.  If you take the investment, and divide it over the life of the gear and considering it is made in USA, you can't go wrong.

On a side note, my Darien has 'shrank in the closet' over the winter. ;)

Yes, suit "shrinkage" is a pain.  :)