• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Roadside assistance

mjsrmiller9825

I am getting on in years but still enjoy riding C14. I live rurally and mostly ride alone, sometimes on fairly long jaunts. Have always managed to cripple home in most anything I drove or rode but a major breakdown on my concours would probably be beyond my ability while on the road. Can anyone give me tip on towing/hauling insurance that is dependable to get bike home in worst case scenario? Thank You

I have Road Side Assistance from Progressive
I think my AMA membership offers road assistance also??
I really need to look into this better🤣

Some options include...
  • Coverage through m/c insurance company, although these tend to be limited in what they cover
  • AMA offere roadside plan included with membership when signed up for automatic annual renewal - check the web site
  • AAA offers a motorcycle & RV add-on for an up charge - local AAA benefits/plans may vary
While I have a tow plan through AMA, my primary roadside service preparation is carrying a working cell phone and credit card with good limit

Some options include...
  • Coverage through m/c insurance company, although these tend to be limited in what they cover
  • AMA offere roadside plan included with membership when signed up for automatic annual renewal - check the web site
  • AAA offers a motorcycle & RV add-on for an up charge - local AAA benefits/plans may vary
While I have a tow plan through AMA, my primary roadside service preparation is carrying a working cell phone and credit card with good limit
AAA is about totally worthless in my area. Used to keep it up for my daughter but the wait time is so long you would need to pack lunch and supper.

AAA is about totally worthless in my area. Used to keep it up for my daughter but the wait time is so long you would need to pack lunch and supper.

I also have AAA. It had proven very useful, if you’re not in a hurry

They all, AAA, AMA, contract with the local tow agencies, so when needed you are subject to what is available. Your high end plan may be no better in a remote, rural area when there is 1 truck already out on a 2 hour away call. Found this out first hand last summer. would have been a 4 hour wait. Luckily knew a friend 15 minutes away with a trailer and got it done in an hour. Called AMA and they verified this.

Last edited:
My road side assistance costs me $37 a year. It's a COG membership. It comes with a really cool directory with names of members that are willing to assist. And yes my name is in there ready to assist if someone is in need. If I don't answer leave a voice-mail because I get a lot of spam calls. 🤣

I'll never forget the cogger that helped out another cogger that was broke down in Wyoming, he drove from Minnesota to Wyoming to pick up stranded cogger and then to Kansas where the stranded cogger lived. How cool is that!😎

Be safe and stay healthy
Dale

I think most insurance companies towing coverage would cover taking the bike to the closest repair shop rather than back home.

I have AMA Roadside Assistance. I used it during a trip on my Concours a couple years a ago I was stranded in a small town in Kentucky about 600 miles from home. The agent worked diligently with me on the phone. He called three repair shops before he verified the closest shop that could work on KIPAAS, it was Lost River Powersports in Bowling Green. Luckily only 33 miles away. The limit for a free tow is 35 miles. The tow truck arrived in about 20 minutes. Not only did the driver deliver my bike to Lost River but waited for me to make arrangement with the service dept and then drove me to the nearest motel. As mentioned above the the tow company is independent and I just got lucky but I am well satisfied with AMA roadside assistance for the price. The years I don't need it I still feel good about supporting the AMA. I might as well throw in a good word about Lost River. Despite have 20 bikes waiting for service they got me back on the road in 24 hours.

So I googled my plans. Progressive Roadside Assistance for the bikes, State Farm for the autos. Both are about the same. Jumps, towing to nearest shop, gas, etc. I am uncertain what they mean by paying if nearest is more than 15 miles. I am usually 15 from anywhere.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220310-094822.png
    Screenshot_20220310-094822.png
    339.3 KB · Views: 94
I have AAA in California. I have used it for my bike. The wait time was about 45-60 minutes In the city.