• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

RoadSmart IV Evaluation

joliver

I just ordered RoadSmart 4s. I am going to keep a record of how they perform and will update this post. It will be a couple weeks before the tires and my bike are a unit.

Cost: $471.03 CDN $383.84 USD

Tim R

Staff member
I will be interested in your findings. I really like the RS 3's and wonder if the RS 4's would be even better.

joliver

I really liked the RS 3s as well. They claim better mileage for the 4s. Lost track of the mileage on the 3s but it seemed it was at least as good as previous choices. Angels, Michelins and others that have faded from memory.

Daboo

Staff member
FWIW, I have about 2000 miles on the RS4 tires. My rear looks like it has worn about 1mm.

The feel is nice. I've never had them slip over the winter, but I also dial back my enthusiasm on the right hand for the winter months.

I'm debating between the RS3, the RS4 and the Conti RA3. All three have a rebate going on. Will the RA4 give sufficient additional mileage to justify the price difference between it and the RS3? And I think the Conti RA3 felt smoother.

Chris

2andblue

FWIW, I have about 2000 miles on the RS4 tires. My rear looks like it has worn about 1mm.

The feel is nice. I've never had them slip over the winter, but I also dial back my enthusiasm on the right hand for the winter months.

I'm debating between the RS3, the RS4 and the Conti RA3. All three have a rebate going on. Will the RA4 give sufficient additional mileage to justify the price difference between it and the RS3? And I think the Conti RA3 felt smoother.

Chris
Ian watching all the discussion, not sold 100% on the Angel GT 2-A’s. Like the former feel on acceleration out of a corner but not doing thing the tracking on parallel grooves.

Daboo

Staff member
I just did a check on prices and added a column. Prices are current as of today at Revzilla. They should be identical to anywhere else. Supposedly price fixing is illegal, but I've never seen much...if any...price difference.

Tire Prices.jpg

The data is ranked per Total Cost after any rebates. You'll see Owner Ratings included. The top rated tire is not the Michelin Road 5. And interestingly, the older Pirelli Angel GT has a better owner rating than its replacement.

I've been showing the average price in the past, and showing how much of a difference the tire cost is from that average. I added the column to the right of the difference from the lowest cost tire. My desire on these two columns is to get past the hype and quantitatively see what it cost to get the latest and greatest Dunlop Mutant tire vs the lowest cost tire, another Dunlop. Is the new Mutant tire really $230 better than the RS3? I doubt it. That's actually more than a set of RS3s cost. Probably any of these tires will perform about the same in wet or dry conditions.

Chris

laker9142

The Dunlop Roadsmart 4 at Revzilla is $221 for a 190/55. The price in that chart is for a 180/55. Without checking each line item, it appears the whole chart may be for 180/55. But its still a good comparison and reference when deciding which tire to buy next! I've never even heard of a Mutant until now.
Probably any of these tires will perform about the same in wet or dry conditions.
I would disagree with this statement. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Daboo

Staff member
Your observation is correct. I have a bike that uses a 180/55-17 in the rear and a 120/70-17 in the front. But the prices will give you a good comparison to make your decisions from.

Chris

nickrides

Chris
Thanks for putting out that updated chart!
I just ordered a set of Dunlop RS3's
At a total cost of 217 after the rebate was the clincher for me.
Thats a great tire at a great price.
Nick
2014 C-14

Daboo

Staff member
Chris
Nick
2014 C-14
Just make sure you got the C14 size, not my BNW F800GT size.

kzz1king

Chris
Nick
2014 C-14
I could not find a current rebate for them. So I ordered another set of the RS IIs

Daboo

Staff member
Just do a search on DuckDuckGo for "Dunlop Motorcycle Tire Rebate". You'll get this website as one of the results. https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/rebate-submission/

$20 per tire. If you have any other billable item on the receipt, they count that as "installation" and you'll get $60 off for two tires.

Just a word of warning. Before ordering your tires, check to see if that store qualifies for the rebate. For instance, I order my tires from Cycle Gear. If I order them online, I get nothing. If I order them through the store, I get the rebate.

Chris

connie_rider

Daboo, Cycle gear merged with Revzilla (I think).
They honored my purchases from Revzilla and did my tire changes for the discounted price of $25.

Ride safe, Ted

Daboo

Staff member
Very true. But...if you want the Dunlop rebate, it has to be a store purchase. Revzilla won't work. No online source will work.

1620144780347.png

kzz1king

Very true. But...if you want the Dunlop rebate, it has to be a store purchase. Revzilla won't work. No online source will work.

View attachment 29172
Yep! I found that too . So I just ordered another set of the RS 2s which I had not been able to find. Now I have a pair of RS 3s and 2s with a low mileage rear on the shelf. I am paranoid about shortages.

Daboo

Staff member
You're paranoid??? I'm paranoid at what I saw on my first Bun Cooler. We were headed to Elk City and we found at a break that one of the riders had the cord showing on his rear tire.

He ended up changing the rear tire in the parking lot that night. One guy was instructing him. And 35 guys were offering "constructive" comments as they watched while imbibing their favorite refreshments.

I don't know which was worse...the thought of the tire going through the cords...

....or the 35 onlookers offering their advice. :D

Chris

texas.devops902

My 2021 C14 came with the T021 Battlaxes, and when hunting for a rear (because of this stupid nail) I finally found one available on Chaparral's website. $173 without any rebate. It'll cost me $65 to have it mounted and balanced. All because of a stupid $0.02 nail.

I had considered the T031's but wasn't sure if the tread pattern differed sufficiently that I'd need to swap out the front tire too.

Just Cliff

If I'm reading this right you're are going back with a T021. Best thing you could do is use this for a excuse to dump them & get something better. There is nothing good about the OEM stones.

At the very least plug it & get a few thousand miles of it anyway before spending that $238.00 on another!

Daboo

Staff member
This is a good review of the Roadsmart IV. https://ridermagazine.com/2021/02/13/dunlop-roadsmart-iv-tires-10000-mile-test/

What I like about it, is the review is written by someone who is actually comparing the same tire against what they've ridden with in the past...not just the manufacturer's marketing hype.

I have to say my RSIVs have been great. Mileage wise, I'm down a 32nd of an inch and have 2000 miles on them.

Chris

connie_rider

If I'm reading this right you're are going back with a T021. Best thing you could do is use this for a excuse to dump them & get something better. There is nothing good about the OEM stones.

At the very least plug it & get a few thousand miles of it anyway before spending that $238.00 on another!
I hate to say this, but I agree with Cliff. {Please don't tell anyone I sed that}
I'll add, use one of the rope type plugs {with some tire patch glue on it}.

Ride safe, Ted

texas.devops902

From 0 to 2224 miles on this original from the dealership.
Original Tire 01.jpg

Then THIS little bastard showed up, giving me a gratuitous middle finger (and putting lives at risk). :^ \
Original Tire 02.jpg

So I needed to get my nomadic tire transport gig on and run it over to a local shop to change it this morning. Was losing too much air every night and I got sick of having to fill 6 or 7 lbs everyday.
Chaparral had one for $173 and the local dude charged $60 for the swap.
Nomadic Tire Transport.jpg

Now I've got fresh skin on my rear end. I told wifey that she needs to rub my backside more frequently now that I've got baby soft skin.
She just rolled her eyes... :^ )
Fresh Skins at 2225 miles UGH.jpg

All because, out of the thousands of bikes cruising those highways and byways, a $0.02 rusty nail decided to pick my tire out of the crowd.

Heck, it wasn't even a shiny new nail FFS. Just some crinkly, nasty nail that nobody wanted.

I was considering doing an Archie Bunker tirade, but I'll save it for another time when I have a few IPAs in me. :^ ) LOL AB

Last edited:

texas.devops902

Ted, Tire looks like it was just mounted. Give the guy a break.

LOL Tim, he wasn't wrong about the nipples on the dealer's original delivered tire. I'm keeping this to plug and have as a spare. It doesn't even have a flat spot on the middle of the tread yet. :^ )

I hadn't even gotten down on it yet as I wanted/needed to get past break-in. I'd like to think that I'll have this bike until the day my number gets called by the big guy upstairs, so being gentle in the first 2k miles +/- helps make sure all those expensive parts stay within spec for as long as possible.

joliver

I just ordered RoadSmart 4s. I am going to keep a record of how they perform and will update this post. It will be a couple weeks before the tires and my bike are a unit.

Cost: $471.03 CDN $383.84 USD
Got the tires today and drove 165 km / 100 miles. For much of the first 100 km I drove past the road construction for the Site C Dam so sand, trucks, and construction speed zones. The last 60 km or so I got to push them just a little bit and them seemed awesome.
Also changed the fork oil so that may have made some difference as well.