• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rostra CC Failure - Due to high temps?

Rembrant

Crotch Rocket
Hi Folks,

I have an '08 Concours-14 that I installed a Rostra CC kit on last winter/spring, and it has recently stopped working on me:(
I've put just over 20,000 miles on the bike since it was installed, and up until recently, the Rostra performed flawlessly. The first couple times that it quit, were when I hit fairly hard bumps...the cruise just stopped. Now, the past couple times, it just quits, at random, and then will not come on again. Now, it seems like after the bike sits, and cools down, it will allow me to engage the cruise, once...and then it quits, and won't let me engage it again.

I'm assuming that I baked the module? That it works, briefly after it cools down, then stops once it gets hot again? To be honest with you, with the amount of heat under all the front "Tupperware" of this bike, I'm surprised the darn thing worked at all...but still.

Any thoughts on checking/troubleshooting, or should I just look at replacing?

I'm pretty confident that my wiring is ok...I was very careful with all of it, and every connection is soldered...well, except for the few places where I had to use the bullet connectors, but any splicing into the Kawi wiring was soldered.

Any thoughts, experience, or ideas?

Same thing happen to me- with the help of this forum (BD)-I fixed it.
check to see if you hear the brake relay click( under the rear part of the seat) when you hit the rear brakes ( making sure your rear brake lights turn off)- the adjustment on the rear brake pedal (plastic & high temp) had tighened down and was holding the brake relay "on"- therefor the CC would not set.
Adjusted the plastic nut that connects to the spring that connects to the switch that activates the relay.
You my call me if you need help-210-519-5306  8 am to 8pm

Hope this helps! If not - go to Murph's website for more troubleshooting.

You might also want to check the ground for the brake relay. If you are using any part of the rear of the bike for ground, you may have to move it. The rear subframe of this bike is not always at ground and the only thing that connects it to the main frame are the threads on a couple of bolts and they have threadlock on them that can act to insulate them. Mine initially worked fine with the ground point on the bar by the tank, but after a few months it began to fail just like yours. Turned out that what I thought was ground, wasn't. I had to run a wire back to the neg terminal of the battery for the brake circuit, and that fixed it.

Ahhh,...good idea Fred, I'll look into that as well...

But, I thought I used the 12vdc +/- accessory leads near the tail light for my brake like circuit relay....I don't recall attaching any wires to the subframe.

I did attach a ground wife on the LH frame brace, not far from where the module is mounted...other than that, I used the accessory wires supplied by Momma Kaw;)

Rembrant said:
Ahhh,...good idea Fred, I'll look into that as well...

But, I thought I used the 12vdc +/- accessory leads near the tail light for my brake like circuit relay....I don't recall attaching any wires to the subframe.

I did attach a ground wife on the LH frame brace, not far from where the module is mounted...other than that, I used the accessory wires supplied by Momma Kaw;)

Somewhere you had to provide a ground for the brake light relay. Check that out and make sure the brake light relay is functioning properly.

If the cruise control does not "see" ground on the brake light circuit wire (purple I believe), it won't engage. You can temporarily connect the purple wire straight to ground and test to see if it works, but then the cruise won't disengage when you hit the brakes, so you'll have to manually shut it off. But this would at least tell you if that part of the circuit is the cause.