• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rostra Parts

Mike12

Bicycle
For those who have installed the Rostra - Did you get both ends of the 4 prong connector from the Cruise switch to the unit? only one end had the white connector and the other end had the wire with prongs but no plastic connector half.

Mike

That is the end of the Murph's switch. You can get away with just putting the male connectors into the females without a mating plasting housing and it is almost impossible that any two contacts could touch each other. If you want to do a really nice job, just put a piece of shrink wrap tubing on each contact (only the part that sticks out past the plastic housing).

You can also search around and find that plastic housing- it is the same one used on PC power supplies and is pretty common. It is more trouble than it is worth speaking personally but again, if you to do the neatest job possible the connector housing is a nice touch.

Brian

Taz said:
For those who have installed the Rostra - Did you get both ends of the 4 prong connector from the Cruise switch to the unit? only one end had the white connector and the other end had the wire with prongs but no plastic connector half.

Mike

Just wondering as the heat shrink was my choice of repair as I have taped up to this point.
Thanks for the reply and input.
Have a long day at work tommorow and all wiring is done to back and front all wired into Fuze block and taped.
Will scavenge a couple of pieces of s/s for switch bracket and Rostra cable for completion on Friday night or Saturday am and will get my heat cord tied into fuze while I have her clothes off.

Thanks

It's been a while since I installed mine, but I thought the Rostra kit included the other side of the connector, but you just had to plug in the pins to it. 

If you have an older computer power supply laying around, many of them used the same type connectors (4 pin molex). You just have to push in the locking tabs on the pins and then you can extract them and reinstall it with your pins. Now that I mention it, I think that may be where I got the one for mine from.

Here is one for $1.39.
http://www.outletpc.com/ge2172.html

Here is the photo of the one that came with my control switch. And yes, I lost bonus points for not paying any attention to the color code sticker.

large.jpg

large.jpg

The Murph's Kits package has both connectors. So does the kit I got from someplace else when Murph was out, so I'm guessing it is standard in the complete universal kit box.

I've got a photo gallery on line here: http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/audiovoxcruise

It shows portions of both the old Audiovox and the Rostra install. With the Rostra, you don't need to mess with the vacuum lines or need a vacuum canister. The Rostra also seems to be a bit more reliable in holding speed.

You also need to install a relay for the brake light circuit, since the C14 uses LED brake lights. The LED brake lights block the cruise control from being able to sense ground through them, so you have to add a relay to switch the ground on and off when brakes are applied.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
I've got a photo gallery on line here: http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/audiovoxcruise

It shows portions of both the old Audiovox and the Rostra install. With the Rostra, you don't need to mess with the vacuum lines or need a vacuum canister. The Rostra also seems to be a bit more reliable in holding speed.

You also need to install a relay for the brake light circuit, since the C14 uses LED brake lights. The LED brake lights block the cruise control from being able to sense ground through them, so you have to add a relay to switch the ground on and off when brakes are applied.

Hi Fred,

Could you post a quick sketch showing how you incorporated the relay? I'm gearing up to install the Rostra next week and want to line up all the great reference stuff in advance.
Thanks!

ProfessorKonk said:
Could you post a quick sketch showing how you incorporated the relay? I'm gearing up to install the Rostra next week and want to line up all the great reference stuff in advance.
Thanks!

original.jpg

large.jpg

Go to Murph's Kits, to the Rostra page, and download the big C14 how-to, then the 2010+ update. The big one shows and tells all. I installed off of that document and it went perfectly, and is still working perfectly a year later.