• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Russell Fleming Memorial Ride Sunday Oct 3rd. [PA-MD]

4bikes

COG#9715 AAD
A memorial ride to honor Russell Fleming is scheduled for Sunday October 3rd, 2021 9:30 AM. Meet for breakfast at the Golden Corral in Frederick MD on route 355 south of route 70 at 5621 Spectrum Drive, Frederick, MD 21703-8301

Russell was a huge presence for many years to the COG community and was a long term Assistant Area Director. Over the years, Russell coordinated countless organized and impromptu motorcycle rides. His motorcycle roots were far and wide and included many riders from the AMA. Many of us were stunned and deeply saddened by the news of Russell’s unfortunate fate that occurred June 23rd.

Show up and ride his route as a tribute. The ride was mapped out by Russell and repeats the 2018 Kawasaki Friends and riders event. This ride will take you on some of the FINEST Motorcycle riding roads in the area. Route sheets will be handed out for a scenic 135-mile self-guided ride that will end at Brown’s Orchard in Loganville PA. Leave any time after 10:00 AM, and pick and choose riding partners if you don’t want to ride it alone.

Perhaps unrecognized by many, was the amount of time he put into these events. Russell started early on mapping out the rides with Martha, and diligently stopping at every turn and logging the mileage. That effort later evolved into plotting rides with Garmin mapping software and then distributing the routes to the riders from a laptop before the ride. Russell would also ride the routes a few days before to make sure there wouldn’t be construction or oil and chipped roads to foul up the ride. His efforts in this area were enormous and much appreciated.

Please register for the event so we can reserve the necessary space for the breakfast, and download the route sheets and GPS file before the ride.

COG Calendar Link:
https://concours.org/event-4486095

Attachments

• RF Mem Ride 2021V2.zip
    48.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Russell Memorial Ride Route Sheet V2.pdf
    100 KB · Views: 175
First to signup, hoping others join this memorial ride!

I may try to link FOJ-Staunton VA Saturday and Russell Memorial Sunday.

See you soon,
Wayne, Carol & Blue

I knew Russell from our days with the (now defunct) Blue Ridge Road Riders. I never attended his COG events because of my church obligations on Sunday mornings. I've registered fro this breakfast, even though I probably won't participate in the ride.

Nick Diaz

Thanks to everyone signed up so far. Please keep the reservations coming. Here is map for the ride. The eat in Café at Brown's Orchard market may be closed due to Covid. However they have an abundance of ready made foods and sandwiches, so no one will go hungry.

RF Mem Ride 2021.jpg

I hope that everyone got a chance to read Steve Smith’s tribute to Russell Fleming in the Summer 2021 Concourier. I learned a few new things about the legacy he leaves us.

I rode Russell’s 2018 route yesterday, that we will be riding on Oct 3rd. It appears the Golden Corral was renovated, and has plenty of parking in the rear. The route has you on the side of your tires the whole ride, on the finest roads. The route fittingly travels right past Russell and Vickie’s house on Old Fort Schoolhouse Road. I’ll check with Vickie to see if she wants to greet any riders who want to stop in.

There are two minor changes in the route due to bridge work. I’ll update the route and GPS file and post soon. Running the route, as with any GPS route given to you, always follow the highlighted route. It was tracking well, but a few turns were tricky at intersections with upcoming turns close by.

I spoke to the Manager at Brown’s Orchard. He said the Cafe will be closed due to staff shortages. However there will be plenty of pre made sandwiches and other food and we are welcome to use the outdoor pavilion that has tables and chairs.

Let’s get those reservations in, and ride!

The GPS route and Route sheet have been updated and are available the first thread. The new file names are:
-RF Mem Ride 2021V2
-Russell Memorial Ride Route Sheet V2

The GPS route and Route sheet have been updated and are available the first thread. The new file names are:
-RF Mem Ride 2021V2
-Russell Memorial Ride Route Sheet V2

The links in the COG Event Calendar have also been updated with version 2 of the route sheet and the GPX file.

Looking for a strong turnout for this memorial ride for Russell. This is a photo of the start for the 2018 ride we will be repeating Sunday.

Attachments

• CEF8528A-76B8-4A6A-9BCF-3939BDB6A799.jpeg
    CEF8528A-76B8-4A6A-9BCF-3939BDB6A799.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 139
Group,
Russell will be in our thoughts - we unfortunately will not make the call to the area for the A.M. shove off.

We will ride the route another time, looking forward to seeing pics, hearing shared stories.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I confirmed that we will have tables in the back corner of the Golden Corral reserved starting 9:00am under name Steve. Parking in the rear.
Ride Safe.

A heartfelt thanks to everyone that showed up to honor Russell Fleming on this memorial ride! We had some riders take off before 10:30, but I was told and it certainly looked like 25 bikes lined up, and also 25 different makes and models. Russell mapped out a fine route in 2018 for us to all enjoy again on a perfect October weekend. Many fond memories were shared, and no doubt his legacy will continue to influence future rides.
6415178E-C4B7-4228-814A-516BAF17D277.jpeg