• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Russell or Mayer?

Russell or Mayer?

• Russell Day Long

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Rick Mayer Saddle

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

mrpepsi

So my fellow Coggers, I am making the plunge for my C-10. If you hadcould buy a seat, would you go with a Russell or a Mayer? Vote, then respond with why if you choose to. My plan is to buy a dual vinyl and keep my stock ride height.

I actually have a Rick Mayer. I like it for the support, when I feel like playing, I put on the Corbin I have as well. Can slide around better on the Corbin for playing in the mountains, but ride most of the time with the Mayer. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

Agreed, I am not giving up my stock seat. I'll use that most of the time. This purchase is for two up and for long distances. ----------------------- Brent Johnson AMA# 1046574 COG# 8402 SF Bay Area California 1988 Red Concours "Ruby" connie-dot-mrpepsi-dot-com

What is your size and weight? You dont have to post of course. The question is because.... The Russell is a spring seat. It has an internal suspension for supporting your weight. The RMS is an all foam design. Elvin once posted that both designs were originally created by Rick's dad. And that he sold the original design to Russell who now sells it as the daylong. And then designed the all foam seat that Rick and his brother now sell. I read once that the spring seat definitely works better for the larger people where the weight of the pressure points can exceed the width of the seat pan. ( something like that, I dont remember the exact statement ). But the all foam seat can work just as good for people who are not so wide. So depending on your size you might want to side towards the Russell. OR depending on your size you may want to continue to consider either one. --I have a Rick Mayer I use as my only seat for all riding. Myself I dont ride agressive enough to need to slide around in the mountains. 2003 Concours, 48K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

6' 2" and only 185 lbs. I am staring to lean towards the Rick Mayer from the mixed reviews I have heard. Nobody says bad things about either, but I like what I have heard about the Rick Mayer. And yes the spring seat is not needed for my slender build. ----------------------- Brent Johnson AMA# 1046574 COG# 8402 SF Bay Area California 1988 Red Concours "Ruby" connie-dot-mrpepsi-dot-com

You mean mixed reviews about Russell daylong?? I wouldnt mind hearing those. If anything I would have thought it the other day around. Russells may not be ther purdiest, or easy to slide around on in the twisties, but in terms of absolute butt comfort on the long days its the stuff. Since you mention not giving up the stock seat and only using for long days that sorta means beauty, moving around, etc take lower priority over the butt. -- Yet you also mention that you want to retain the stock ride height. I am not sure if Russell will build a spring seat of stock ride height. Where I believe Rick will, but it will be too firm and that could take away some from the all day comfort. Just some things to ask each of the vendors....see what they say. 2003 Concours, 48K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

And the fact nobody says anything bad about either is not necessarily mean they are telling the truth. Take that Slybones character. He has a Rick Mayer Saddle, and when he originally posted/voted the results were Russell=2, RMS=0. 2003 Concours, 48K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

the stock ride height is a plus for me, I don't want to add height too much, and I read the Russell can be as much as 1" higher or more. I think the wide girth of either will help quite a bit with long distances so I figure Mayer for ride height is the way to go. ----------------------- Brent Johnson AMA# 1046574 COG# 8402 SF Bay Area California 1988 Red Concours "Ruby" connie-dot-mrpepsi-dot-com

The Mayer is much more customizable, he can add extra width, add/remove height and even change some foams for different areas of support. This is the really nice thing about being custom made. I have not regretted the expense of the Mayer or the bit of a wait to get it after ordering. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

I voted for Russel since that is what I have but I have never sat on the other. One thing to note. Even though the bucket shape of the seat limits your movement side to side as the pilot I am not so sure it hurts my cornering that much. The shape lets me add more input with my butt then with the stock. I can control the bike better in situations like riding with your hands off the bars by allowing me to press on the outer edges of the seat to steer. Some how this extra bit of control helps in the corners also but I am not sure why. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

I have used both but on different bikes. I like the russel better, butt ;) seat are a bit personal. Just ask about corbin and you will all but start a fight of those that love and those that hate it.

I find this funny as the vote has gone up to 5 to 1 for the Russell. I have an envelope on my desk at work with a check for $600.00. It is labeled to go to Rick Mayer. The thing is, everyone raves about both, but the ride height of the Mayer due to the lack of springs hooked me. Unless someone tells me I'm making a mistake, this envelope gets mailed today. :) ----------------------- Brent Johnson AMA# 1046574 COG# 8402 SF Bay Area California 1988 Red Concours "Ruby" connie-dot-mrpepsi-dot-com

Brent, Since you are in SF, you should see about a ride in appointment with Rick Mayer. Would enable you to have a quick turn around and really custom designed seat. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

I will be out for surgery, and unable to ride for several weeks. I felt this was a good time to have it built. Plus I still have my stock seat so I can ride while it's being built. I considered it, but decided against it. ----------------------- Brent Johnson AMA# 1046574 COG# 8402 SF Bay Area California 1988 Red Concours "Ruby" connie-dot-mrpepsi-dot-com

Well I guess I say congrats on the Rick Mayer Saddle. 2003 Concours, 48K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

When I went through this debate I went with Corbin, some don't like it because of the firmness but it just works for me. It's really personal choice, do you know anyone that would let you try them out?

maybe I'm late, but here goes. I currently own a Corbin modded by Sargent, a Rick Mayer, and a Russel. In order of preference to ride on 1) Rick Mayer 2) corbin 3)Russell here's the differences to me - the Mayer is softer, lower, and conforms well to your bum. The workmanship is impeccable. It's puts me where I need to be - I'm "in" the bike rather than on the bike. I can shift for corners very well. Very Comfy to me. It has really added to the whole bike for me, comfort and handling wise. The Corbin is hard. Did I mention it's hard? I still prefer it to the russell. Russell. It makes me sit "on" the bike. It detaches me from the bike. It allows NO movement. It's comfortable until the spring starts to cut into my thighs, and then it's all downhill. It looks like crap on the bike, although it's well made. And unfortunately for me, my wife loves it. Anyway, I vote Rick Mayer. I did 400 miles on backroads on mine last sunday. I did get a couple sore areas, but not bad. Once I passed 300 miles, it never got any worse, and I could have easily kept going when I got back home. and it looks cool! Steve Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets. My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!

I ordered my Rick Mayer a couple weeks ago, and I am scheduled for June. I'm ever so excited. ----------------------- Brent Johnson AMA# 1046574 COG# 8402 SF Bay Area California 1988 Red Concours "Ruby" connie-dot-mrpepsi-dot-com

So, Brent, how is the RMC seat? Is it all that you hoped it would be? I am in the same situation. I need to get another seat for touring with my wife and I want to keep my stock for solo, local rides. A lot of good info here from the riders perspective but can anyone tell me how the passenger feels about either seat? I want the touring seat more for her comfort since I will keep the stock for solo rides. Which is better for rider AND passenger? 2001 Concours California COG #8642

Here's the story. I ended up deciding on a Rick Mayer which I received about two weeks ago now. About five weeks ago I decided to buy a C-14 which means the C-10 went up for sale. So instead of putting my new Rick Mayer on the bike I contacted a friend who I knew was looking to buy a new seat as well. I offered it to him at a discount from what I paid. He jumped at it. So the gorgeous seat I purchased, I never got so sit on. I can tell you that craftsmanship is top notch. I can share pictures as well. www.mrpepsi.com/connie/4sale/RMSeat Good luck in your decision. ----------------------- Brent Johnson AMA# 1046574 COG# 8402 SF Bay Area California 2009 C-14 "Razzi" 1988 Red Concours "Ruby" connie-dot-mrpepsi-dot-com

Sweet! I'm sure you will enjoy the C-14. Thanks for the pics as well. Looks like a quality job. I am wstill wondering how my spouse will feel on it. The biggest issue she has on the stock is that she continually slides forward. Which of course becomes a problem for me because I go sliding into the tank (not good) :gasp: Just from looking a pics it looks like the Russell may be better at helping her stay put. Anyway, thanks for the update and have fun on the new ride. 2001 Concours California COG #8642

Breadman, I think the Russel is better for all out comfort. The Rick Mayer is a better mix of comform and performance. In that you can move around in the seat better, etc. Read Steve's comments above. sore spots on the RMS before 300mi and dont get worse after that. Huh. Most Russel guys will say they can go all day, nothing. So why is RMS top of his list. Its the blend he likes. Why does his wife like the Russel better. Comfort. She could care less about performance. -- Not mean to speak for him, just how I interpret the comments. Although he did say the Russel cuts into this thighs after a while. First one I have heard say that from a comfort point of view. I bet Russel would fix that. But still the comments about sittin "in" the saddle verus "on" and all that would still apply. From the movement point of view I have also heard Russel seat users commenting about flat footing at stops and how it effects putting your feet down. No problem here with the RMS. Again more to the blend of comfort and performance. I have an RMS. Read my Knee Savers thread. One thing I learned recently was posture makes a big difference. I kinda knew that. But I was not forcing myself to use good posture. I think it made my hips cramp. Now with the knee savers I can use better posture and not have the hip cramp due to the softer angle. This in turn allows me to sit in the seat better which in turn makes saddle time so much easier. -- I think before I was sitting too far forward , so I sat up straighter to reduce the bend in my hips. But that put me in the wrong place on the seat. -- Now with the peg lowers it not only reduces the knee angle but that in turn reduces the hip angle. This allows me to slide back where I belong. The while thing is working so much better. So I guess I am throwing out to look into addressing the ergonomics of the whole situation. Seat comfort, back rest comfort, foot/knee/hip placements, etc. -- I had purchased some sheepskin seat covers people rave about. Personally I dont think that much of them. Lots of money and didnt help much at all. But then the wife loves it. hmmm why is that. Well it didnt help with how I was sitting in the saddle. So it didnt really help solve anything. But for her, was already sitting the way the seat intented. For her its a little more padding that she likes. 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Pics of my RMS next to the stock seat. I chose the basketweave vinyl cover as it works nice for our Pacific NorthWet winters which I ride in. Its my only seat. So I like the day in day out weather resistance of that. Its been in plenty of downpours. http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/Dscn3037.jpg 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Boy, I tell ya. Just trying to figure out which one to buy is more of a pain then riding long on my stock :confuse: I feel as most here that the RMS looks a lot better on the bike then the Russell. But it also seams that for overall comfort, the Russell is the clear winner. The hard part is I want to make the "right" decision without having to buy another seat after. It is the same agony I had when deciding to purchase a bluetooth or wired intercom. (bought bluetooth, did not work as advertised, took back got wired. installing today). I guess I have to bite the bullit and make the decision. (with wife's input and approval of course ;). One other question. The Russell has an option for a driver backrest and the RMS does not. Does having a driver backrest make the Russell even more comfortable? I am thinking this might be the tie breaker. I am thinking that I want a backrest for the long journeys. I checked with RMS and they will only recover one if you have it already but will not make one for their seat. 2001 Concours California COG #8642